or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What did you eat last night for dinner?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What did you eat last night for dinner? - Page 558

post #8356 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
You don't think endive and baby arugula go together? I initially was going to make it as a composed salad, I just thought it would look nicer to separate the two. How would you have done it? I hear what you're saying, and I appreciate it. I'll try to keep harmony of flavors in mind, regardless of how nice something might look.
It isn't whether I think they go together, it is whether I would want to be eating that, or, for example, the greens around your morel beef, as much as I would want to be eating something else. You are doing a good job with meat, and things look pretty nice, but take more time and more care with your vegetables. There is so much variety out there, and so many good tasting things, especially at this time of the year. Don't treat vegetables like an afterthought. Cook them in interesting ways, combine them to highlight various flavors, etc. Eating isn't just about meat.
post #8357 of 25380
I love vegetables. It just sucks on the East Coast right now; I used to have a much greater variety to choose from. I spoke with a few produce managers and they have expressed their upset that they haven't been able to get as many different kinds, and varietals, as they were last year. A few blamed it on the weather in California. I can't even find a head of frisée around here anymore. All the Farmer's Markets pretty much suck around here, as well; Connecticut hardly grows anything. There's one nice farm I like, but it's very far out of my way. My vegetable garden is kind of defunct at this point. Next year I might just try to grow most of my vegetables myself.
post #8358 of 25380
Europe seems to be better for vegetables then... We've got everything from Germany, Italy over Spain to North Africa or Asia. So we've got a huge variety of seasonal vegetables and fruits.
post #8359 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post
Europe seems to be better for vegetables then... We've got everything from Germany, Italy over Spain to North Africa or Asia. So we've got a huge variety of seasonal vegetables and fruits.

and e.coli for nice flavouring
post #8360 of 25380
I think it is. My sister lives in Florence; she get's some pretty great produce.
post #8361 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I was betrayed by poor thermometer placement - once I repositioned I realized I was 10 degrees over.

This is why I hate cooking with thermometers.
post #8362 of 25380
How do you judge doneness on a roast - by feeling for firmness or just having a good feel for timing?
post #8363 of 25380
I like probe thermometers for larger cuts like that. Just be sure not to take the probe out of the roast until you have let the meat rest for a good while. Otherwise, you'll lose precious juices.
post #8364 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
How do you judge doneness on a roast - by feeling for firmness or just having a good feel for timing?
I stick it with a cake tester near the middle and feel the warmth on my lip. I take it out when the meat is warm, so above body temp but not hot, and then I let it rest. The nice things about the cake tester are 1) it is thin, so you don't really get holes and 2) if you miss the dead center, you still get to have the whole length on your lip, so you get a good idea about the heat throughout the piece.
post #8365 of 25380
Yeah, I use the lip test with fish. Never thought to do it with a large roast, though. Will have to try that out.
post #8366 of 25380



Heard about the cake tester-thing before... will try it out, too.
post #8367 of 25380
Sfield's favorite, Shitamachi-style Napolitan:
post #8368 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
I stick it with a cake tester near the middle and feel the warmth on my lip. I take it out when the meat is warm, so above body temp but not hot, and then I let it rest. The nice things about the cake tester are 1) it is thin, so you don't really get holes and 2) if you miss the dead center, you still get to have the whole length on your lip, so you get a good idea about the heat throughout the piece.

Thanks for the tip.
post #8369 of 25380
Why was mm banned? I know the teacher/punk thread got out of hand, but what was the final straw?
post #8370 of 25380
Deleted
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What did you eat last night for dinner?