or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What did you eat last night for dinner?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What did you eat last night for dinner? - Page 6

post #76 of 25843
PHV, maybe "terrain" would be a better translation? Today for lunch I also had Japanese curry and a glass of white 2003 Christoffel Kabinett riesling
post #77 of 25843
Quote:
PHV, maybe "terrain" would be a better translation? Today for lunch I also had Japanese curry and a glass of white 2003 Christoffel Kabinett riesling
Terrain refers only to the topography. Territory refers to everything in that area..
post #78 of 25843
Definition: A " terroir " is a group of vineyards (or even vines) from the same region, belonging to a specific appellation, and sharing the same type of soil, weather conditions, grapes and wine making savoir-faire, which contribute to give its specific personality to the wine. I guess territory is kinda a good definition.
post #79 of 25843
Man, if I was a woman, reading the list of dinner choices here, I would definitely be asking for a date somewhere....all I had was a peanut butter sandwinch, and was luck I had bread in the house for that.
post #80 of 25843
l'm fasting. l just ate weeds, that is all. Dandelion weeds. Flowers and all.
post #81 of 25843
Thread Starter 
Last night, we were faced with a nearly empty refrigerator, but managed to make: a cheese soufflé (with skim milk, oh well...) and spinach with prosciutto and crème fraîche. Thanks for the tips about what defines a foodie. I have decided that I wasn't one, and here's the evidence: if I had a choice between a 3 hour hike in the mountains and a meal at one of the best restaurants in Lyon, I would choose the hike in a heartbeat. As for the notion of terroir: topsoil, subsoil, and microclimate. Period. You slap the word "terroir" on any product sold in France, and it is almost certain to be an immediate success. People want what is authentic and comes with a few hundred years of history... Hence, the word's definition has shifted to include more than those three things in some people's minds. It is said that in the Middle Ages, the Cistersian monks used to taste the earth in Burgundy to determine the best terroirs. I have seen my great grand father do this (imagine my surprise as a kid: an adult "eating" dirt...). . The geology is extremely important, and in Burgundy especially, where the terroir changes drastically as you take one step. The structure of the soil and its subsoil directly affect water drainage, which explains some of the quality differences between neighboring vineyards. A vine with its feet in water "catches a cold" and restitutes excess water in the grape, which is then diluted and of poorer quality. When I spent my holidays in Burgundy, I remember my cousin doing his homework and making these intricate geological maps of the region he's from (Auxerrois). He explained some of it when he was in the mood, or chose to make fun of me, the little Parisian who didn't know the first thing about phylloxéra...
post #82 of 25843
Quote:
Definition: A " terroir " is a group of vineyards (or even vines) from the same region, belonging to a specific appellation, and sharing the same type of soil, weather conditions, grapes and wine making savoir-faire, which contribute to give its specific personality to the wine. I guess territory is kinda a good definition.
I might be off, but I thought the word referred to the atributes, or to what the "territory" gave to the wine, and less to the location itself, no?
post #83 of 25843
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,Feb. 03 2005,23:13
Definition: A " terroir " is a group of vineyards (or even vines) from the same region, belonging to a specific appellation, and sharing the same type of soil, weather conditions, grapes and wine making savoir-faire, which contribute to give its specific personality to the wine. I guess territory is kinda a good definition.
I might be off, but I thought the word referred to the atributes, or to what the "territory" gave to the wine, and less to the location itself, no?
G., see above: "As for the notion of terroir: topsoil, subsoil, and microclimate."
post #84 of 25843
My favorite burritos - ground turkey cooked with fresh sliced garlic, chipotle sauce, and a bit of barbecue sauce, black olives, pepperoncini's, smoked cheddar, sliced cherry tomatoes, fresh guacamole, and sour cream, on a thick flour tortilla. Broiled the tortilla/turkey/olives/pepperoncini's/cheese first. And a vanilla pepsi (yuck.)
post #85 of 25843
Quote:
Last night, we were faced with a nearly empty refrigerator, but managed to make: a cheese soufflé (with skim milk, oh well...) and spinach with prosciutto and crème fraîche.  Thanks for the tips about what defines a foodie.  I have decided that I wasn't one, and here's the evidence: if I had a choice between a 3 hour hike in the mountains and a meal at one of the best restaurants in Lyon, I would choose the hike in a heartbeat.
I would definitely choose the restaurant. Am I a "foodie"?
post #86 of 25843
Last night, linguini with white clam sauce and a nice chianti classico riserva.
post #87 of 25843
150ml Organic Fenugreek sprout juice (raw) 250ml Kelp juice (raw) 250ml Organic Oat grass juice (raw) 10 ml Colloidal minerals 5 grams Chlorella (raw green algae) 70ml Weed juice. (black in color and very very bitter). 2 organic oranges for supper.
post #88 of 25843
Thread Starter 
Quote:
150ml Organic Fenugreek sprout juice (raw) 250ml Kelp juice (raw) 250ml Organic Oat grass juice (raw) 10 ml Colloidal minerals 5 grams Chlorella (raw green algae) 70ml Weed juice. (black in color and very very bitter). 2 organic oranges for supper.
Did someone come up with this menu for you for specific reasons, or do you put it together yourself? By weed juice, what "weeds" do you mean?
post #89 of 25843
Quote:
150ml Organic Fenugreek sprout juice (raw) 250ml Kelp juice (raw) 250ml Organic Oat grass juice (raw) 10 ml Colloidal minerals 5 grams Chlorella (raw green algae) 70ml Weed juice. (black in color and very very bitter). 2 organic oranges for supper.
I cannot imagine taking this diet unless I could be sure of being close to a lavatory at all times.
post #90 of 25843
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Definition: A " terroir " is a group of vineyards (or even vines) from the same region, belonging to a specific appellation, and sharing the same type of soil, weather conditions, grapes and wine making savoir-faire, which contribute to give its specific personality to the wine.
I meant to say and forgot: your definition is more that of a "Cru", especially for the Bordelais (Bordeaux region). It is the "domaine", the "chateau" and everything it entails that makes it a "cru". A cru's classification (Grand Cru, Premier Cru, Cru Classé) is determined by the ministry of agriculture, such as in the Médoc or the Graves, or by particular circumstances of production.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What did you eat last night for dinner?