Pics from last night;
1.) app of spring vegetables, and a shot of 'clam' broth. Don't know what the clam broth was all about, but it tasted very simply of clam broth and lots of yuzu zest. The vegetables were a warm salad with what I think was a nerigoma dressing that they claimed was made of 70 different vegetables; some were absolutely microscopic. Those little heart shaped flecks are micro beets, and the little micro peas were about the size of a grain of rice.
2) 'Ryugin signature dish - expression of different temperatures' - I missed the temperature differential in this if there was one, it seemed like a layered Japanese custard like many I've had before. Perhaps the bottom custard layer was supposed to be cold and the top was hot when it came to me, I'm not even sure now. The top layer of gel was very typically 'oriental' tasting, strong of ginger and soy sauce and a lot of baby garlic chives. The brown crusty looking garnish is some sort of onion preparation, and the meatier looking flecks are soft shell turtle cheeks. They were just veiny little flecks of meat that looked much like pieces of sea bass; the texture was a bit more meat-y and tasted similar to frog. I wasn't so impressed by its inclusion the way Asian people might be.
3) 'Luxurious Ichiban dashi' suimono soup. A small egg yolk dumpling mounded with tiny sakura shrimp was covered in a sheet of sticky mochi, there were a couple nice bamboo shoots in there, a big slice of well-prepared abalone, a cherry leaf, a piece of abura-age, and then the fluffy yellow thing was supposed to be whale's tongue, but I'm not sure how that was prepared.
4) Sashimi array, with assorted flavors
5) Charcoal grilled Kinki fish, with roasted eggplant, and a roasted Avocado topped with a mousse of uni and avocado, and some karasumi I think - eaten in one bite. The 'gari' is red apple.
6) "“A Flavored Dish” to feel the Grace of Japan" (this is what the menu says) - warmed spring veggies (canola blossom, fuki, plus a piece of grilled tofu, pepper leaves) and a stuffed baby squid, and a very pungent shot of warm squid liqueur. Did not care for this one.
7) wagyu with 'aromas of spring' - wagyu steak over a bed of typical vegetable brunoise, the sauce over was mashed fuki blossoms. The taste was slightly bitter. I wasn't really sure what was going on here, besides the obvious. I was trying to eat this tiny vegetable brunoise with chopsticks and I thought of that Mitch Hedberg rice joke.
8) rice, miso soup. pickles - rice was topped in stir fried veggies, and shreds of some sort of preserved snapper. Miso soup was miso soup. Pickles were of 9 different things, half were a mixture of whitebait fish and something at the bottom, and the top were crispier root vegetable pickles if I recall.
9) The Ryugin -196C and +99C dessert:
10) some sort of baked custard and then milk ice soft serve ice cream, perhaps evoking images of Hokkaido or something like that
11) green tea served properly at the end:
- the dining room was like 85% white people, choking way up on the chopsticks, hunched over these tiny bowls. I think the only other restaurant in Japan that would get 85% foreign patronage would be a TGI Friday's near an Army base. I saw a lot of Converse sneakers in there and stuff. It was a very strange experience tbh.
-Would've opted out of eating whale had I known I was doing so at the time, for moral reasons I guess.
-I left here pretty hungry. It wasn't much food in the end, I felt.
-I went not wanting to get the tasting menu, rather I wanted to go a la carte and try the roasted rice fish dish he makes, as well as maybe a duck dish I've heard about, the -196C dessert, and then the 'Roppongi Pudding' - but they didn't let me go a la carte and said I had to make a separate reservation for that. Was kind of disappointing, as they were seating walk-ins soon after I'd arrived for my reservation.
- the flavors were nice, but honestly I've had better Japanese food elsewhere, I think. Yamamoto flogs some of the molecular stuff but I've posted some stuff before that I thought was better.Edited by impolyt_one - 4/1/13 at 10:45pm