or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What did you eat last night for dinner?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What did you eat last night for dinner? - Page 1273

post #19081 of 25388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post

I went to Handsome twice... really sour coffee on the days I went. Not my thing.
What is up with sour coffee? I've tried beans from Four Barrel in SF, which were really light in color and found the coffee to be sour and I hated it. Is that just high acid coffee or is there something else going on there?
post #19082 of 25388
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

What is up with sour coffee? I've tried beans from Four Barrel in SF, which were really light in color and found the coffee to be sour and I hated it. Is that just high acid coffee or is there something else going on there?

I love the richness of espresso... the depth and lustrous mouthfeel. Why the fuck would I want to feel like I'm sucking on yuzu?
post #19083 of 25388
hmmm - I HATE the sour coffee thing you get now with drip in those places, but the espresso is usually not that way. I usually get a macchiato anyway, so maybe that's masking the sour. The beans they sell make a undrinkably sour coffee when I tried to use them at home. Four Barrel too. Whatever this trend is strikes me as really strange, because I don't know who the market is for this light colored sour coffee, and also they all seem to be Intelligentsia alumni, and the coffee there isn't like that.
post #19084 of 25388
Yeah, all these places I went to are Intelligenstia alums. I went to "Fix" in Echo Park too... same sort of stuff. To me they must have the same palates as the california wine idiots.
post #19085 of 25388
California wine idiots?
post #19086 of 25388
you guys are weird. espresso is supposed to sour albeit with balanced mouthfeel, richness, and bitterness. yuzu notes in espresso sounds delicious

if you dont like the acid notes in brewed coffee ask them to do an immersion brew instead like a french press, clever, syphon, or an aeropress (in order of ascending acidity). get earthier beans from places like java or mocha. i also usually find unwashed coffee (eg most coffees in ethiopia and brazil) to be rich and fruity enough that the slight acidity they have is nice backdrop.

i highly doubt your beans were made to be undrinkably sour. not sure what method you're using but you should play around with the variables.




thinking about it even a few years ago i used to hate any acid notes in coffee and i thought i was superior and in good taste when i ordered starbucks coffee and told people i like my coffee "strong", but after learning more, having gone to quite a few cuppings, and drinking a lot of coffee i find myself gravitating towards nicely balanced acidity.
Edited by indesertum - 6/1/12 at 9:36am
post #19087 of 25388
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

you guys are weird. espresso is supposed to sour albeit with balanced mouthfeel, richness, and bitterness. yuzu notes in espresso sounds delicious
if you dont like the acid notes in brewed coffee ask them to do an immersion brew instead like a french press, clever, syphon, or an aeropress (in order of descending acidity). get earthier beans from places like java or mocha. i also usually find unwashed coffee (eg most coffees in ethiopia and brazil) to be rich and fruity enough that the slight acidity they have is nice backdrop.
i highly doubt your beans were made to be undrinkably sour. not sure what method you're using but you should play around with the variables.

Despite you're fluency with pretentious coffee jargon that most of us have the good sense to eschew, your post is completely unhelpful and mildly annoying, and I didn't think it could get any worse until...
Quote:
thinking about it even a few years ago i used to hate any acid notes in coffee and i thought i was superior and in good taste when i ordered starbucks coffee and told people i like my coffee "strong", but after learning more, having gone to quite a few cuppings, and drinking a lot of coffee i find myself gravitating towards nicely balanced acidity.

There you go, you really finished strong. Bravo.
post #19088 of 25388
:P thanks brah i tried hard.


i don't understand what part of that was pretentious coffee jargon. all i was saying was if you play around with the variables (ie how much water you put in, how long you brew the coffee, what temperature you brew the coffee, if you heat the vessels beforehand) i am sure you'd be able to find a spot where your coffee wasn't undrinkably sour

also i meant ascending acidity. if you dont like sour at all ask them to do a french press. if you dont like grinds but dont mind a little sour ask for a clever pourover. really not that hard.
post #19089 of 25388
facepalm.gif

I truly think that coffee snobs are some of the worst snobs out there. And that's coming from a guy who drinks 8 espressos a day and despise bad coffee.
post #19090 of 25388
i apologize if i was coming off as pretentious or snobby. i was just trying to be helpful.

if there was anything i wrote that needs further explaining i would be happy to do so.
post #19091 of 25388
Any use of the term "cupping" when not used in the context of blow jobs will likely be met with derision.
post #19092 of 25388
Peace and harmony.
post #19093 of 25388
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

Any use of the term "cupping" when not used in the context of blow jobs will likely be met with derision.

laugh.gif You just won the Netwebs for the day. (No h8 on indie).

Suggestions for a good snack to go with Champs? I want to have it pre-made, or mostly so, as en evening snack and bottle after a day of festivities out on the town.
post #19094 of 25388
there is nothing that so irritates a snob as other people's pretentions!
post #19095 of 25388
I figure foie gras would work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What did you eat last night for dinner?