or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What did you eat last night for dinner?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What did you eat last night for dinner? - Page 1270

post #19036 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

I'm a big baco fan. nice to have that food two blocks from my office. i really like teh small plates, the bacos are always good, i have been let down by some of the main dishes ... not that they're bad, but they just don't consistently have the punch that the bacos do. i do like some of the flat breads (what are they called?). and he gets GREAT hams. really worth it. desserts are pretty good, too. i had a panna cotta the other day that made me wonder why i hadn't fixed it in so long. hence a column. (lunch+column idea=PROFIT).
i like spice table but not as much. i've eaten there 3-4 times. he's a good guy and i like the spirit of the place. pig's tail was great. some of the skewers are great.
the german place in venice is rockenwagner ... he's been here forever and ... yeah. what you said. i've only eaten at gjelina a couple times, but really liked it. very simple food, but really well done. they knew me, so there wasn't a lot of attitude, but i understand that can be a problem there. their butterscotch pudding with sea salt is amazing ...

I am going to try jelina.

Panna Cotta is almost always the best dessert on a chef's menu. It's one of the few things a great chef can do without having pastry knowledge.

I had the guancale flatbread and it sucked, I had another one I can't remember. I sort of hate flatbreads to be honest.

The Bacos are incredible. I absolutely love them.
post #19037 of 25380

chicken piccata, penne pasta, mesclun greens w/vinaigrette, cheap Cali Pinot Grigio.

post #19038 of 25380
I had the shittiest service ever when I went to Baco for the second time, but I should've known better than to go on a Sunday. It was their first Sunday brunch, and the unshowered, hungover waiter hovered over us cracking shitty jokes while waiting for us to choose what we wanted, said he hated eggplant when I ordered an eggplant side, asked our friend out on her way to the bathroom, and referred to the "con tomate" as the "chinga tu madre."

great food though!
post #19039 of 25380
Must add Baco and Spice Table to my ever-expanding list of places to check out in L.A.

Chinga Tu Madre would be a good name for a brunch joint in Los Feliz.
post #19040 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

I had the shittiest service ever when I went to Baco for the second time, but I should've known better than to go on a Sunday. It was their first Sunday brunch, and the unshowered, hungover waiter hovered over us cracking shitty jokes while waiting for us to choose what we wanted, said he hated eggplant when I ordered an eggplant side, asked our friend out on her way to the bathroom, and referred to the "con tomate" as the "chinga tu madre."
great food though!

Service in LA kinda sucks in general. They're nice, like everywhere else, but none of them have real service experience. They're all just failed actors or musicians. There isn't as much career service like there is in Chicago and NYC.

At Baco I've had to get up and ask FOH for service.
post #19041 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post

At Baco I've had to get up and ask FOH for service.

This would have been preferable. My first time the waiter was fine, just insanely shy. Agree about service here, and the reasons for. Have you been to Canele? That's our favorite "nice" neighborhood spot. Awful service.
post #19042 of 25380
Went to Roppongi Hills Jiro a couple of months ago for dinner. I was alone and the only customer in the entire place. a bit stressful as son of jiro stood in front of me and gave me something new seconds after I finished the last thing. was also over in about 30-40 minutes. very good, several hundred dollars.
post #19043 of 25380
Oh, also, I believe that I get much worse service than someone like Matt or foodguy would because I look like a hipster.
post #19044 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

Oh, also, I believe that I get much worse service than someone like Matt or foodguy would because I look like a hipster.
are you saying i don't? should i buy a porkpie hat?
post #19045 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

are you saying i don't? should i buy a porkpie hat?

stop trying to embarrass me, dad
post #19046 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

stop trying to embarrass me, dad
son, your mom and i need to have a little talk with you....
post #19047 of 25380
Tangentially, the proudest I've seen Matt look with himself was at dinner last month. I asked him if the people he hung out with in Chicago were "like me," meaning SF friends. He responded "hipsters?"
post #19048 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

Tangentially, the proudest I've seen Matt look with himself was at dinner last month. I asked him if the people he hung out with in Chicago were "like me," meaning SF friends. He responded "hipsters?"

I bet he was rather pleased with himself.
post #19049 of 25380
100x100px-LS-72a8e897_6a00d8341c630a53ef0133f619bf27970b-pi.jpeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

should i buy a porkpie hat?

on second thought...
post #19050 of 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

i had a panna cotta the other day that made me wonder why i hadn't fixed it in so long. hence a column. (lunch+column idea=PROFIT).

Did you try the banana cream pie? I tried to order the panna cotta (sold out, they said, even though were were the first people seated that night with a 6 pm res) so settled for the pie but it was really really good. That also reminds me that the yellowtail collar was also sold out even though we were the 2nd table to order that night.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What did you eat last night for dinner?