or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What did you eat last night for dinner?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What did you eat last night for dinner? - Page 1221

post #18301 of 24841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

Ricky's is the parking lot one - "Best Fish Taco" is a ramshackle stand on Hillhurst, down at the south end of the retail strip. I remember the owner talking about it before it opened (I used to see him at the Hollywood Y). It's really just a replica of an Ensenada taco shack - cash only, menu consists only of fish or shrimp tacos, battered and fried in the Ensenada style. There's a salsa bar and a refrigerator full of soda. I found it to be pretty good the few times I've been.

I think that's it. Maybe I know nothing about mexican food but I found it to be extremely good. I was then taken to a place that specializes in stewed tacos. Unbelievable. I need to remember the name of the place. It was the very essence of soul food. LA has really taught me to get my head out of my ass... fine dining isn't everything. When you live in NYC and Chicago that's mostly what's worth your time.
post #18302 of 24841
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post

I can try again but I've had most of the contemporary menu... I lived in Chicago and NYC man... you gotta bring your A-game if you're going to you're going to go molecular. I just don't feel like the flavors are there. I've eaten at Alinea more times than I can count so it's going to disappoint me most of the time.
But hey like I said, the classic tapas is some of the strongest I've had in the US.
I like Baco.
I need to go to Rivera, do you think I'll like it? FG usually knows at least what I will hate. He's been right like every time.

you're a lot better versed in that stuff than i am. i get a rash thinking about it. but i will say that the stuff i've had at ssam bar has been among the best i've had -- given a small sample size.
you've been to baco? you're a dick for not letting me know. it's like a block and a half from my office.
and i don't even want to know anyone who doesn't like rivera. service is too sloppy, but the build-up isn't pretentious so it's not a big deal. and the food is really amazing.
post #18303 of 24841
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post

I think that's it. Maybe I know nothing about mexican food but I found it to be extremely good. I was then taken to a place that specializes in stewed tacos. Unbelievable. I need to remember the name of the place. It was the very essence of soul food.

guisados. it's really good. but there's so much good Mexican in la. my office is a block and a half from the grand central market and i can go to tacos a tumbra whenever i want, birches! tacos de trompas FTW!
post #18304 of 24841
: /

Don't rub it in, fg. I haven't found any decent Mexican food here in Philly.
post #18305 of 24841
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

you're a lot better versed in that stuff than i am. i get a rash thinking about it. but i will say that the stuff i've had at ssam bar has been among the best i've had -- given a small sample size.
you've been to baco? you're a dick for not letting me know. it's like a block and a half from my office.
and i don't even want to know anyone who doesn't like rivera. service is too sloppy, but the build-up isn't pretentious so it's not a big deal. and the food is really amazing.

I really like Baco. I am going to try Rivera. Service in LA in general is slow but people are so kind that I don't care. Providence had the worst fine dining service I've ever seen in my life but I haven't had a weak dish there ever. I prefer a la carte. I'm allergic to tasting menus. There's like 5 restaurants in the world where I'll do them now. I don't go often but if I'm craving good fish I'll go. The Turbot is honestly as good as Bernardin. I'm almost afraid to be quoted on that but whatever.

I did a ton of asian food for the last 8 months. Now I need to learn mexican.
post #18306 of 24841
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post

I think that's it. Maybe I know nothing about mexican food but I found it to be extremely good. I was then taken to a place that specializes in stewed tacos. Unbelievable. I need to remember the name of the place. It was the very essence of soul food. LA has really taught me to get my head out of my ass... fine dining isn't everything. When you live in NYC and Chicago that's mostly what's worth your time.

There's are dozens, or maybe hundreds, of good Mexican spots in LA. From bootleg stands in residential driveways in Highland Park, to the older family-style places doing California Mexican, to the great regional dives like Huarache Azteca or Chichen Itza or Guelaguetza, to the new wave of high quality specialty places like Guisados. I could eat Mexican every day - I almost do - and rarely, rarely get tired of it.
post #18307 of 24841
One thing I can't find out here is good Mexican food.
post #18308 of 24841
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

One thing I can't find out here is good Mexican food.

waitwut, in NYC?
post #18309 of 24841
I never managed to find very good Mexican in NYC.
post #18310 of 24841
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

One thing I can't find out here is good Mexican food.

Can't you just purchase a Mexican? confused.gif
post #18311 of 24841
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

waitwut, in NYC?

I've had very good Mexican food in Arizona, and I remember eating a lot of great stuff whenever I'd visit my aunt in LA. The stuff they call "Mexican" food here is like the stuff they call "Italian" food in Jersey. Not sure why that is, but that has been my experience.
post #18312 of 24841
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

waitwut, in NYC?

I've had very good Mexican food in Arizona, and I remember eating a lot of great stuff whenever I'd visit my aunt in LA. The stuff they call "Mexican" food here is like the stuff they call "Italian" food in Jersey. Not sure why that is, but that has been my experience.

You ever been to any ethnic neighborhoods in Queens or Long Island? There was a food truck in front of the Mexican consulate on 39th that had great Mexican, not sure if they are still there.
post #18313 of 24841
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

You ever been to any ethnic neighborhoods in Queens or Long Island? There was a food truck in front of the Mexican consulate on 39th that had great Mexican, not sure if they are still there.

No, but now that I think of it, that is probably exactly where the best Mexican food in NY would be.
post #18314 of 24841
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

You ever been to any ethnic neighborhoods in Queens or Long Island? There was a food truck in front of the Mexican consulate on 39th that had great Mexican, not sure if they are still there.

No, but now that I think of it, that is probably exactly where the best Mexican food in NY would be.


Well, if you don't want to trek out there, I've heard they have decent Mexican in Mexico, but I've never been there so can't confirm.
post #18315 of 24841
experiencing bad Mexican food in NYC is such a bridge and tunnel problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What did you eat last night for dinner?