or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Visit to Yale for Admissions: Need Clothing Advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Visit to Yale for Admissions: Need Clothing Advice

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
As I prepare to apply for graduate school for Fall 2009, I'm planning a tour of one of my top choice programs at Yale in November. They have three or four tour dates for the program, where prospective students may come, meet with an admissions person, sit in on a class or two, tour the campus, and hopefully make enough of an impression that your application squeaks into the less than 10% accepted. I have a mediocre GPA from a private Franciscan college, so I am trying to be and appear absolutely outstanding in every other area - GRE scores, work experience since undergrad, personal statement, recommendation letters, etc. I really feel it will also be important to look and be impressive during this tour visit. I've also been planning on updating my personal style, so I'm not married to anything in particular. My existing worksuits and clothing are nothing spectacular, though not shabby. I am, however, skinny and tall. Any ideas for what to wear? I don't want to look like I'm overdressed (french cuffs, dripping with gold, etc.), poorly dressed or underdressed. Any Yalies here with particular advice? I'd like to put a few hundred dollars into getting something together for this particular day. Any insight would be appreciated.
post #2 of 64
Dripping with gold might make it a more interesting look given that I suspect the majority of these people will be in very conservative clothing. Think Sammy Davis Jr.
post #3 of 64
Blazer, tie, nice pants. Shine your shoes.
post #4 of 64
I think you'd look out of place (in a bad way) if you wore a suit. Wear a nice dark blue blazer, some crisp khakis with no break and some nice brown shoes. Make sure you have a nice leather/briefcase/messenger bag too
post #5 of 64
Wouldn't you want to be make a distinctive appearance at these things?
post #6 of 64
I don't mean to be discouraging, but these "tour programs" for graduate/professional schools usually don't lead to acceptance if you are not otherwise a "shoe in". I wouldn't get worked up about the whole tour thing if I were you.

The blazer with khakis, a buttondown, brown dress shoes and no tie sounds good though.
post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Dripping with gold might make it a more interesting look given that I suspect the majority of these people will be in very conservative clothing.

I would do the dripping with gold as a way to say 'I can pay my own way and much, much more!'.

"Yale could use an international airport!"
post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Wouldn't you want to be make a distinctive appearance at these things?

Distinctive appearance is one thing, being confused for someone who works there...
post #9 of 64
A gun, Yale is actually a scary place in many parts. However, there are some nifty independent restaurants.
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvac View Post
I don't mean to be discouraging, but these "tour programs" for graduate/professional schools usually don't lead to acceptance if you are not otherwise a "shoe in". I wouldn't get worked up about the whole tour thing if I were you. The blazer with khakis, a buttondown, brown dress shoes and no tie sounds good though.
That is usually true but you never know who you will meet. When I went to a Hofstra Law open house a few years ago I introduced myself to the dean who gave me his card and told me to email him when I applied. I don't know if that's what got me in but it couldn't have hurt. The impression you make can be very important and don't hesitate to introduce yourself to people while selling yourself gently.
post #11 of 64
+1...solid advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs View Post
That is usually true but you never know who you will meet. When I went to a Hofstra Law open house a few years ago I introduced myself to the dean who gave me his card and told me to email him when I applied. I don't know if that's what got me in but it couldn't have hurt.

The impression you make can be very important and don't hesitate to introduce yourself to people while selling yourself gently.
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz View Post
I would do the dripping with gold as a way to say 'I can pay my own way and much, much more!'.

"Yale could use an international airport!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
Distinctive appearance is one thing, being confused for someone who works there...

I don't think a Sammy Davis Jr.-esque look is going to get you confused with someone who works at Yale.
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph View Post
A gun, Yale is actually a scary place in many parts. However, there are some nifty independent restaurants.

Yale is not. New Haven certainly is.

Look, this is easy. Khaki chinos, nice brown shoes, plain shirt, navy blazer, repp tie. You'll fit right in, and put no one off.
post #14 of 64
Stop by J. Press and pick up some gratuitously skull-and-bones emblazoned clothing.
post #15 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentQ View Post
Stop by J. Press and pick up some gratuitously skull-and-bones emblazoned clothing.
Dumbest thing you could possibly do.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Visit to Yale for Admissions: Need Clothing Advice