• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homeless guy in my carport - a question of etiquette

mbc

Reaction score
So there's this homeless guy in our neighborhood who regularly sets up camp in our carport. He actually travels with a plastic chair in his shopping cart so that he doesn't have to sleep on the concrete floor - smart choice if you ask me.

Anyhow, the first time I found him there I told him he had to move on. Then a couple days later when he showed back up I let it slide for a day or two, but on day three I called the cops to tell him to move along.

So now I've noticed that he's gotten somewhat smart and he doesn't show up until about 11pm or so, and packs up his things and leaves before 7am because he apparently has noticed that I don't leave the house until a bit later than that (that's a little creepy, actually, that a random guy sleeping in my carport has taken such accurate note of my schedule).

Am I being a dick for wanting to call the cops on him repeatedly so that he stops using my carport as his sleeping quarters? Part of me thinks I should just let it slide - but I'm not running a shelter, here. What would you do?

centalones

Reaction score
Call the cops.

Tell the neighbors to call the cops if he shows up on nights when you are not home.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
onduty0.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A question of etiquette related to some unwanted stranger continually setting up shop in your carport, even AFTER you've told him to leave and called the police? Tolerating this isn't etiquette, it's foolishness. Do what it takes to ensure he leaves and doesn't come back. Period. EDIT: I want to know who voted to "let it slide indefinitely." I'm assuming this person did it as a joke, but assuming they didn't, I'd LOVE to see their reasoning for how that could ever be a good idea.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call the cops some more. See if you can get them to hold him for trespassing or harassment or something since he keeps coming back.

I do like the dog and the shotgun ideas. Perhaps pepper spray would also handle it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you don't want him on your property, then call the cops. One thing can potentially lead to another; nip it in the bud now before it escalates.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
get him out. peper spray and a stick isn't a bad combo for this. this is really a reciepe for disaster not to get him out fast.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He'll *********** corner if he stays long enough. If you decide to let him stay, you might improve the courtesy by providing some empty coffee cans for his relief.

A carport is not a residence. If he was your dad and you let him do that, I imagine you could be charged for cruelty and negligence. So you are not doing him any favors by letting him crash there. He needs to find a real solution to his homelessness.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Wow, the west coast really does have a different mentality (at least as represented by your one post). Get him out now. Scattered broken glass, mace, dogs, whatever..... I let a few people do this at my family business as a kid. Soon they really were ******** in the corner, leaving forty oz bottles, etc. Get this person out.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is NOT a question of etiquette in any way -- get him out of your carport pronto! Just because it's an "open air" carport doesn't matter; if this were an enclosed garage, the guy would be breaking and entering!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Wow, the west coast really does have a different mentality .
Yeah, you can tell he's not from/lives in the south. I don't know that this question has ever been posed there, as the man in question would long since have had a meeting with Mr. Rottweiler or Mr. Remington... perhaps both. Most of the people I know don't **** around with strangers setting up shop in their carports. I certainly wish the man no physical harm, but I certainly would call the police and, if he showed back up, press charges or go from there.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, bindlestiffs used to have a code they would draw or write on poles near the train tracks to indicate whether or not a house was a good place, e.g. does the house offer work, food, shotgun + dog, etc.

Maybe modern hobos have a similar system.

In northern climates, a bucket of ice water may also present a good solution. "it leaves the carport or else it gets the hose again"

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Also, bindlestiffs used to have a code they would draw or write on poles near the train tracks to indicate whether or not a house was a good place, e.g. does the house offer work, food, shotgun + dog, etc.

Maybe modern hobos have a similar system.

In northern climates, a bucket of ice water may also present a good solution. "it leaves the carport or else it gets the hose again"

laugh.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I echo all the statements here about the guy's gotta go. What's next, taking a dump in your backyard? Checking the doors to see if he can raid the refrigerator?

I remember last year suddenly seeing a small tent pop up in a relatively wooded right of way right next to the brick fence that surrounded a small gated community. It looked to be a homeless guy who just figured this looked like a good place to set up shop. He was right on my jogging route, so I watched him get more and more bold with his living quarters. Eventually, he had a small little firepit and was having campfires at night! I think this triggered the neighbors to finally call the cops, as shortly thereafter, he had "broken camp" and was nowhere to be found.

You have already been civil. Time for him to move on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads