or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? - Page 63

post #931 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by querelle View Post


Thanks for the advice!
Unfortunately, by closely inspecting the boots I've found several defects in them.
1- In both shoes, the Goodyear welt doesn't cover the end of the leather stitches properly. You can clearly see the leather stitch folding freely without the welt.

2- Another issue are the heels: one in slightly off-center, the other doesn't seem to be properly attached, in fact you can see there's some space between the rubber heel and the body of the shoe.

3- Lastly, the stitches covering the leather cap are made on a frayed thread.

I attach some pictures.













Can anyone tell me if these are real issues? Honestly, I don't want to break in shoes that are defective in nature, since I paid the full price for them, and I've only worn them twice.

Should I ask for a replacement, or are this issues common in IRs?

Thanks everyone

These are not defects and in fact are quite normal. Wear them and enjoy them.
post #932 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by querelle View Post
 


Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately, by closely inspecting the boots I've found several defects in them.

1- In both shoes, the Goodyear welt doesn't cover the end of the leather stitches properly. You can clearly see the leather stitch folding freely without the welt.
2- Another issue are the heels: one in slightly off-center, the other doesn't seem to be properly attached, in fact you can see there's some space between the rubber heel and the body of the shoe.
3- Lastly, the stitches covering the leather cap are made on a frayed thread.
I attach some pictures.

 

 

 

 

 

Can anyone tell me if these are real issues? Honestly, I don't want to break in shoes that are defective in nature, since I paid the full price for them, and I've only worn them twice.

 

Should I ask for a replacement, or are this issues common in IRs?

 

Thanks everyone

They are not causes for alarm, just a little sloppy qc. The first picture is the welt joint, could have been smother, but it's not going to hinder the life of the boots. The second and third are again, just a little sloppy with the heel placement. They shouldn't cause problems, but if for some reason they become loose, a cobbler can fix them, or if you take them to your local red wing store, they may fix them for free. 

post #933 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPrest90 View Post
 

They are not causes for alarm, just a little sloppy qc. The first picture is the welt joint, could have been smother, but it's not going to hinder the life of the boots. The second and third are again, just a little sloppy with the heel placement. They shouldn't cause problems, but if for some reason they become loose, a cobbler can fix them, or if you take them to your local red wing store, they may fix them for free. 


Thanks for the answers, that might be the case, but honestly, it's not something you expect for a pair of 350$ boots just worn twice… I'm quite disappointed with the quality, having owned several pairs of RW this is the first time I have something to complain about. I've sent an email to the EU division, waiting for a reply from them. 

post #934 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by querelle View Post
 


Thanks for the answers, that might be the case, but honestly, it's not something you expect for a pair of 350$ boots just worn twice… I'm quite disappointed with the quality, having owned several pairs of RW this is the first time I have something to complain about. I've sent an email to the EU division, waiting for a reply from them. 

No, it's not, but things happen. And 350 does sound like a lot, but this is actually in tolerance when compared to other companies. I've seen some Aldens that shocked me that they were firsts quality. A few of my RWs have sloppy welt joints, it's just how it is. If you can return them for another pair, you might fair better

post #935 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by linafelt View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post


Ok. I'll have to go try some on.


I think you'll find that they run long and very narrow.  The amber harness comes in what they call a "EE" width, which is basically equal to a D in my experience.  So if the standard fit is narrow see if you can find a EE.  Or try Zappos, which has free shipping and returns (I tried on about 5 pairs of IRs from Zappos!)  Unfortunately the EE is not available in black, which I think is a very cool boot for the IRs.  Good luck.

 

And if you don't like the IRs, you may want to check out White's Boots.  More expensive, but a variety of lasts and widths to get it right.  The Bounty Hunter with a cap toe looks a lot like Iron Rangers.  But better quality and with very nice arch support.

 

Here are my black Bounty Hunters for comparison:

 


Do they make Iron Rangers with the full lace up in place of the open hook eyelets you see on most IR's? 

*BTW Bounty Hunters has to be the coolest name for a Boot lol 

post #936 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykicks View Post
 


Do they make Iron Rangers with the full lace up in place of the open hook eyelets you see on most IR's? 

*BTW Bounty Hunters has to be the coolest name for a Boot lol 


 A Red Wing store or cobbler can easily replace them.

post #937 of 1198

Finally,.. my foray into Iron Ranger territory!  I have always loved this style however resisted due to the harsh break-in required.  I took the plunge and decided on style 8119 OxBlood Mesa leather and with the Vibram 430 Mini-Lug sole.  This particular leather is so much softer than what I have felt on other Iron Ranger styles.  The leather is so supple and is immediately molding to my foot.  This boot is amazingly comfortable already. Overall Awesome Boot.

 

 

post #938 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstealer73 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykicks View Post
 


Do they make Iron Rangers with the full lace up in place of the open hook eyelets you see on most IR's? 

*BTW Bounty Hunters has to be the coolest name for a Boot lol 


 A Red Wing store or cobbler can easily replace them.


Hmm I dont know any cobblers lol sounds expensive how much do you think RW would charge??

post #939 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykicks View Post
 


Hmm I dont know any cobblers lol sounds expensive how much do you think RW would charge??


The typical charge for changing hooks for eyelets are around $5 per piece.

post #940 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jortuno View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykicks View Post
 


Hmm I dont know any cobblers lol sounds expensive how much do you think RW would charge??


The typical charge for changing hooks for eyelets are around $5 per piece.


Is that for each individual eyelet or 5 bucks a pair? So typically the top three rows of IR are hooks correct? So that would be 6 hooks at $30 for each shoe making it $60 or 3 sets of hooks for each shoe at $15 for each shoe? 60 bucks adds up on top of the typical price making them over 400 after tax which is a lot lol 

post #941 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykicks View Post
 


Is that for each individual eyelet or 5 bucks a pair? So typically the top three rows of IR are hooks correct? So that would be 6 hooks at $30 for each shoe making it $60 or 3 sets of hooks for each shoe at $15 for each shoe? 60 bucks adds up on top of the typical price making them over 400 after tax which is a lot lol 


$5 for each individual eyelet. So the cost would be $60 for a pair of boots having the top three speed hooks replaced. 

post #942 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykicks View Post


Is that for each individual eyelet or 5 bucks a pair? So typically the top three rows of IR are hooks correct? So that would be 6 hooks at $30 for each shoe making it $60 or 3 sets of hooks for each shoe at $15 for each shoe? 60 bucks adds up on top of the typical price making them over 400 after tax which is a lot lol 

Still cheaper than a pair of custom made boots! You could ask around at some local repair shops - some might have better pricing for a simple job like that. I live in a town with 80,000 people and we have two really good shoe repair places, and a few more passable ones - I'm sure you've got some around if you look.
post #943 of 1198


Hi everyone, some follow-up to the iron rangers inconsistencies I encountered: I wrote to RW europe, and they found the shoes to be defective, at the level of factory seconds; the heel ripping got worst after two more wears, so I took the shoes back to where I bought them and had them exchanged. 
The pair I received is simply perfect: no thread fraying, no heel ripping, perfect stitching. Also the fit is better (the previous pair I got was in my usual RW size, but idk why they felt huge, especially on the vamp area -- bad positioning of the sides/sloppy lasting?) and resembles that of my other RWs. 

My advise is: always demand for the best, or at least for what you've paid for. Factory seconds should not be sold as first choices, and when it happens, ask for replace. RW policy is fair. Thumbs up!

post #944 of 1198

I got a pair of IR 8119 incoming (burgundy with vibram sole).

 

My 1st time trying to get this from a local dealer instead of online.

 

My experience:

- I wear 9 in all my boots (AE Dalton, Loakes Burford, Cole Haan chukka).....reviews seem to indicate to go half size down. I tried size 9 medium at my local RW store and found it perfect. I have little bit of toe room (VS my other boots) which I like...I walked around the store and size 9 felt fine. They didn't have 8.5 instore but I'm thinking for me, 9 will suffice

- I've read some folks managing as low as $280+taxes from local dealer. Mine was set on $300+taxes and wouldn't bulge..in fact, they were giving me a weird look as if I was asking the boots for free.

- I left store as they didn't have the 8119 in store,..got a call from the store/rep today and was told RW is in fact moving the 8119 to 'Europe' catalogue and these won't be available for sale in US store !! ?? Was told store couldn't order it from RW but they'd check back with other warehouses and call me tomorrow.

 

Not sure if this true or not of the 8119 model but I ended up ordering this from a site previously mentioned in this thread using a 15% discount. Good enough for me.......

 

Not too happy with the retail sales on RW. Next time, I'll use the store for sizing and stick to online retailers who seem to offer more discount (incl free return/exchanges just like RW store and from what I read in the store, you CANNOT return any worn boots (from the Heritage line)....).

post #945 of 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSingh1975 View Post
 

I got a pair of IR 8119 incoming (burgundy with vibram sole).

 

My 1st time trying to get this from a local dealer instead of online.

 

My experience:

- I wear 9 in all my boots (AE Dalton, Loakes Burford, Cole Haan chukka).....reviews seem to indicate to go half size down. I tried size 9 medium at my local RW store and found it perfect. I have little bit of toe room (VS my other boots) which I like...I walked around the store and size 9 felt fine. They didn't have 8.5 instore but I'm thinking for me, 9 will suffice

- I've read some folks managing as low as $280+taxes from local dealer. Mine was set on $300+taxes and wouldn't bulge..in fact, they were giving me a weird look as if I was asking the boots for free.

- I left store as they didn't have the 8119 in store,..got a call from the store/rep today and was told RW is in fact moving the 8119 to 'Europe' catalogue and these won't be available for sale in US store !! ?? Was told store couldn't order it from RW but they'd check back with other warehouses and call me tomorrow.

 

Not sure if this true or not of the 8119 model but I ended up ordering this from a site previously mentioned in this thread using a 15% discount. Good enough for me.......

 

Not too happy with the retail sales on RW. Next time, I'll use the store for sizing and stick to online retailers who seem to offer more discount (incl free return/exchanges just like RW store and from what I read in the store, you CANNOT return any worn boots (from the Heritage line)....).


Where are you located? Since dealers are independently owned they tend to vary in terms of helpfulness/accommodation, the one closet to me happens to be owned by a great guy who is willing to work with you and help you out. As for the return policy as long as you wear them inside if you don't like the fit you can return them, not sure where your getting them online but I really doubt anywhere is going to let you beat the heck out of them and then return them for a refund if you don't like them.  IR retail for 319 plus tax so getting them for 300 is actually a good deal, im not sure where people are paying 280 but that seems like a rare occasion maybe even a holiday sale type of deal. The 8119 is the only IR to have the Vibram 430 on it at the moment so it is possible they are a limited deal since a good bit of the Heritage collection tends to come and go for certain leathers/soles.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?