or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? - Page 51

post #751 of 780

That's why the solution is to go down a size so that the wide part of your foot is at the wide part of the shoe. Just going wider will just mask that you MIGHT have the wrong size.

 

that was what happened to me, anyway.

post #752 of 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neognosis View Post
 

That's why the solution is to go down a size so that the wide part of your foot is at the wide part of the shoe. Just going wider will just mask that you MIGHT have the wrong size.

 

that was what happened to me, anyway.

 

I agree.  Going down to the 10.5 and going wider from the D to the EE is the right solution for me, rather than sticking with the 11 D.  This is assuming that the 10.5 EE is not too wide when I get it and try it on.

 

I think going down to a 10 would really be pushing it for me (although I would never know until I would try it on).  I can't imagine that I would be needing to go that small considering I am somewhere between 11.5 D and 12 D on the Brannock.  The only thing I can do is wait for the 10.5 EE's to arrive and go from there.  I will continue to try out the 10.5 D's with heavier socks, but based on how they felt wearing them today with thinner socks (they are tight), I'd be surprised if these feel more comfortable than the 10.5 EE's will.

 

Ben

post #753 of 780

anyone happen to be looking for a pair of 9EE in amber harness?

post #754 of 780

Wearing the 10.5 D's this afternoon around the house.  My toes are not crowded, but I'm pretty sure these are just too narrow at the widest part of my foot.  They feel like my Allen Edmond Park Avenues in 11 D, until I exchanged them for an 11 E.  Which is a shame, because these IR's in 10.5 D fit really well in the heel and the instep/arch area..... and seem to be good lengthwise too.  The 11 D IR's I'm pretty convinced are just too long and don't fit the wide part of my foot very well (the wide part of the boot doesn't line uith the wide part of my foot). 

Just waiting on the 10.5 EE's to come in..... hopefully the middle of next week.  As some recent posters have noted, in their case going down a full size and up a width from their regular size was the solution for them.... that may very likely be the case for me.

 

Ben

post #755 of 780

I need some advice. At last I got a quick chance to try on the Iron Ranger Hawthorne. I normally wear a 12 in other shoes but tried an 11 and 11.5 in these. The 11 felt good length wise but the toes were crowded and especially the left foot felt uncomfortable. The 11.5 were better in the toe department, no discomfort at all. The seller told me they usually stretch out a fair amount, so my question is, should I go with size 11 and hope for them to stretch out in the toe department or should I go with a safer size 11.5? I don't think the 11.5 will feel too big, especially if I use either an insole or thicker socks, but if they stretch a lot they might end up too big.

 

I have no idea which width I tried on, they only had one and I didn't ask which one it was. Ordering different widths online really isn't an option as I'd have to either get it right on the first try or pay international return postage since there is only one or two retailers in my country and neither offers width options. What do you think, 11 or 11.5?

 

By the way, is there a big difference in terms of how big the shoe looks between half a size? Never got the chance to compare myself. And are these unbearable to wear on cooler summer days in the range of 20-25 celsius / 68-75 fahrenheit or is it okay?

post #756 of 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by eca462 View Post
 

I need some advice. At last I got a quick chance to try on the Iron Ranger Hawthorne. I normally wear a 12 in other shoes but tried an 11 and 11.5 in these. The 11 felt good length wise but the toes were crowded and especially the left foot felt uncomfortable. The 11.5 were better in the toe department, no discomfort at all. The seller told me they usually stretch out a fair amount, so my question is, should I go with size 11 and hope for them to stretch out in the toe department or should I go with a safer size 11.5? I don't think the 11.5 will feel too big, especially if I use either an insole or thicker socks, but if they stretch a lot they might end up too big.

 

I have no idea which width I tried on, they only had one and I didn't ask which one it was. Ordering different widths online really isn't an option as I'd have to either get it right on the first try or pay international return postage since there is only one or two retailers in my country and neither offers width options. What do you think, 11 or 11.5?

 

By the way, is there a big difference in terms of how big the shoe looks between half a size? Never got the chance to compare myself. And are these unbearable to wear on cooler summer days in the range of 20-25 celsius / 68-75 fahrenheit or is it okay?

 

I'm guessing that when you say that your toes were crowded in the size 11, that you mean width wise rather than length or height..... because you said that the 11's felt good length wise, and I can't imagine that your toes are touching the underside of the toe cap because of how the toe cap is structured (bumped up) on these boots.  When it comes to crowding or tightness in the width department, you have to determine whether the crowding is from a lack of volume or if it is from a lack of actual width measured across the insole.  If it's a lack of actual width across the insole, then you will always feel the crowded feeling because where the upper is welted to the sole can never move.  If it's a lack of volume, then the upper has the chance to stretch and relieve some of the crowded feeling.  I tried on an 10.5 D and an 11 D, and I am almost positive that the 10.5 D will never feel right at the widest part of my foot because I have the problem where I have a lack of width across the insole.  It doesn't matter if the upper ever stretches out enough because the ball of my foot will always feel squeezed sideways because of the lack of width.

Another thing to look at in determining the proper size is where is the widest part of the boot in relation to the widest part of your foot.  They really should line up, and if they don't..... then you need to change the length of the boot.  Between the 11 or the 11.5, which boot lines up best with your foot?

I'd say it's safe to say that your have normal width boots (D widths), but if you can't get a hold of EE widths, then your options are a bit limited..... you're stuck choosing the best size that fits in the D width.

In my case, it's pretty obvious that the 11 D's I tried on were if anything a bit too long..... and that when I tried the 10.5 D's, they were definitely too tight across the widest part of my foot, even though the widest part of the boot lines up well with the widest part of my foot at size 10.5 D...... so all that leaves me to trying a 10.5 EE.

Sounds like our feet are very similar except that I'm a half size smaller than you.  I measure somewhere between 11.5 D and 12 D on the Brannock device, I usually wear 11.5 D in most shoes, but I'll probably end up with 10.5 EE's with this boot..... although I can't say for sure until I try it on.  This boot is by far the biggest combination of being a long and narrow last that I've seen.  I thought that the Allen Edmonds 5-65 last was long and narrow, but the one that the Iron Ranger is built on seems to be even more.

 

Ben

post #757 of 780

The 10.5 EE's came in today and I think I have a winner.  Still, I am surprised at the length of these.  They seem so long for 10.5's.  They are litterally very comparable in length to 11.5 boots that I have on other lasts.... and they are still longer (just a smidge) than my Woverine 1KM boots in size 11 D. 

I think that advice mentioned earlier in this thread was pretty spot on for me.  Where I wear a size 11 D in Wolverine 1KM's with a thin Spenco cushion insole for a more or less perfect fit with medium to heavy socks, these Iron Rangers are a half size down and a couple notches up in width from the 1KM's for a very comparable fit.  Even though the IR's are an EE width, I'd say that they are slightly narrower in the arch and heel than the size D 1KM's.  Which suits me fine since I have a relatively narrow heel and low instep compared to the widest part of my foot.

Since the IR's in size 10.5 EE is not as readily available, I ended up paying full retail to get these in that size.  The other two pairs that don't fit as well were cheaper (figures) since they were 10.5 D and 11 D sizes that are more readily available.  Honestly, I could go with 11 D's okay, it's just that they would be a little long in the toe box.  Other than that, they fit pretty well.  Proportionally, the 10.5 EE's just seem to match the shape of my foot a little better I think.

So, if anyone is interested in a decent deal a pair of brand new Iron Rangers in Amber Harness in either size 10.5 D or 11 D, shoot me a PM and we can talk.  Otherwise, I'm going to start the return process to send back to the vendor I got them from.

 

Ben

post #758 of 780

Ha.  I came home today with my new Iron Rangers in 10.5 EE and compared them to the 11 D's.  I have to laugh because they really are not that much different.  They are nearly the same length.... almost negligible in difference in length..... but the 10.5 EE's are just a little bit wider than the 11 D's at the widest part of the shoe.  Not so much in the heel or arch area.... but at the widest part, which is where I need it to be wider the most.  As I said above, the 11 D's really would be okay..... especially after they stretch out a bit, but the 10.5 EE's are a more ideal fit.  The 10.5 EE's also would allow me just a bit more room to put a cushioned insole in..... which I will most likely do.  Nothing fancy, just something to provide a little more cushion and grip like a Dr. Schol's Odor Eater insole.

 

Ben

post #759 of 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercitizen View Post
 

Ha.  I came home today with my new Iron Rangers in 10.5 EE and compared them to the 11 D's.  I have to laugh because they really are not that much different.  They are nearly the same length.... almost negligible in difference in length..... but the 10.5 EE's are just a little bit wider than the 11 D's at the widest part of the shoe.  Not so much in the heel or arch area.... but at the widest part, which is where I need it to be wider the most.  As I said above, the 11 D's really would be okay..... especially after they stretch out a bit, but the 10.5 EE's are a more ideal fit.  The 10.5 EE's also would allow me just a bit more room to put a cushioned insole in..... which I will most likely do.  Nothing fancy, just something to provide a little more cushion and grip like a Dr. Schol's Odor Eater insole.

 

Ben

Are they any wider at the front where the little toe is?

post #760 of 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by eca462 View Post
 

Are they any wider at the front where the little toe is?

 

I would say that they are just a little bit.  IMO, the normal D with Iron Rangers are narrow at the wide part, but fairly straight heading toward the toe.  The wider EE width Iron Rangers are wider at the wide part but have more of a gradual curve toward the toe, especially on the little toe side.  But yes, I would say that the wider EE's provide a little more relief for the little toe.  Many people don't realize that for most shoes and boots, when you increase the width from say a D to an E or a EE, you also get an increase in length.  So I would say going to a EE while staying the same size on the Iron Rangers would definitely give you more "little toe room" because you'd be gaining both lenth and width.  I went down a half size in length while increasing the width, and the net result was a boot of nearly the same length but a little wider in the ball of the foot which also translates to a little more width at the little toe as well.

All that said, my little toe was never really bothered by the 11 D's, or even the 10.5 D's for that matter.  The 10.5 D's were just unbearable because the width across the footbed at the widest part was too narrow for the width of my foot..... and I knew that the bottom of my foot would never comfortably rest across the footbed at the widest part.  Therefore, I knew that no matter how much the leather stretched, it wouldn't provide me with enough relief to feel comfortable in the long run.

Short answer:  YES  (sorry for the big, long explanation) :D

 

Ben

post #761 of 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercitizen View Post

I would say that they are just a little bit.  IMO, the normal D with Iron Rangers are narrow at the wide part, but fairly straight heading toward the toe.  The wider EE width Iron Rangers are wider at the wide part but have more of a gradual curve toward the toe, especially on the little toe side.  But yes, I would say that the wider EE's provide a little more relief for the little toe.  Many people don't realize that for most shoes and boots, when you increase the width from say a D to an E or a EE, you also get an increase in length.  So I would say going to a EE while staying the same size on the Iron Rangers would definitely give you more "little toe room" because you'd be gaining both lenth and width.  I went down a half size in length while increasing the width, and the net result was a boot of nearly the same length but a little wider in the ball of the foot which also translates to a little more width at the little toe as well.


All that said, my little toe was never really bothered by the 11 D's, or even the 10.5 D's for that matter.  The 10.5 D's were just unbearable because the width across the footbed at the widest part was too narrow for the width of my foot..... and I knew that the bottom of my foot would never comfortably rest across the footbed at the widest part.  Therefore, I knew that no matter how much the leather stretched, it wouldn't provide me with enough relief to feel comfortable in the long run.


Short answer:  YES  (sorry for the big, long explanation) biggrin.gif

Ben
Thanks man, looks like a wider size might be the way to go for me after all. I'll have to try the D's again before eliminating them though because of the hassle of getting the E/EE's.
post #762 of 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by eca462 View Post


Thanks man, looks like a wider size might be the way to go for me after all. I'll have to try the D's again before eliminating them though because of the hassle of getting the E/EE's.

 

No problem.  After trying three different sizes, I have to say that only one of them was what I would call not the right size...... the 10.5 D's.  They were just flat out too narrow at the widest part of my foot.  The 11 D's and the 10.5 EE's are remarkably similar..... it's just that the 10.5 EE's have that little extra bit of width that I think I might need.  My feet are wide at the ball, but pretty narrow everywhere else.  I guess I just hope that the 10.5 EE's won't be too loose when the leather stretches a bit.  I don't think that they will be, but one plays the tennis match in their mind with a new pair of shoes or boots.  Nothing is perfect when it comes to the fit of shoes and boots.  The leather stretches, your feet swell and shrink throughout the course of a day, different socks, etc.  Bottom line is that I could stick with the 11 D's and in all probability be fine, but since I have the 10.5 EE's and they seem to fit a bit better, I'm going to go with those.

 

Ben

post #763 of 780

Iron Rangers today.  The amber harness leather darkened up a bit from an application of Obenauf's Boot Oil last night.

 

 

I've gotta say that these boots are more comfortable out of the box than my Wolverine 1000 Mile Addisons.  I think that the softer chromexcel leather of the Wolverine 1KM boots has something to do with that because it creases a little more readily right at the end of my little toe..... so the tip of my little toe seems to rub against the side of the 1KM boot.  The Iron Ranger amber harness leather is much stiffer and does not crease in the same fashion, so no toe rubbing. 

I've been wearing these all morning so far and they are as comfortable as any shoe or boot I've ever owned.

 

Ben

post #764 of 780

What do you guys recommend treating the boots with and how often? I have the amber harness ones and would like to keep them as light in color as possible, I prefer a bit of shine over matte as well.

post #765 of 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by eca462 View Post
 

What do you guys recommend treating the boots with and how often? I have the amber harness ones and would like to keep them as light in color as possible, I prefer a bit of shine over matte as well.

 

Don't use Obenauf's Boot Oil to condition and Obenauf's LP to waterproof if you don't want them to darken up..... because they will.  The Obenauf's Boot Oil really darkened mine up with no real signs of lightening up.  I'm not sure if using just the Obenauf's LP by itself would darken them up very much though.  The Obenauf's LP won't give you much shine at all though.

 

The amber harness leather is a matte oil tanned leather, so getting a shine will be more challenging.  Maybe someone else has a thought.

 

Ben

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?