or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? - Page 72

post #1066 of 1205

Preliminary results, no pics yet....

 

the RW LP is, wow in about 12 hours it is completely dried and you cannot tell at all I applied it even to the super light hawthorne muleskinner leather.  Excellent if you don't want to darken.  It will not darken at all.

 

The RW boot cream, looks just as dark as when I applied it about 12 hours ago.  Now, since it's a cream/oil it might be that it just takes longer to dry.  Also, I did not try to take a blow dryer to it to heat it and dry it.  I will try that next to see if the boot cream dries faster and how dark it gets. 

 

So right now, anybody wondering, RW LP is absolutely fine to use and will not darken your leather at all. Not even 1% darker. Looks exactly the same when dried.  Jury still out on boot cream....

post #1067 of 1205





3-4 years wear, all weather
post #1068 of 1205
Nice. Looks like those cork nitrile soles have barely broken a sweat and leather looks great!
post #1069 of 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvoytko View Post






3-4 years wear, all weather

 

 

Yeah .. those look fantastic ... what have you treated them with over the years?  Amber's I'm assuming?

post #1070 of 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post
 

 

 

Yeah .. those look fantastic ... what have you treated them with over the years?  Amber's I'm assuming?


dr martins wonder balsam

 

i've applied often and pretty liberally. looks really nice if you're dressing them up to give it a coat to get some shine. usually a coat every every contact with snow salt.

post #1071 of 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvoytko View Post
 


dr martins wonder balsam

 

i've applied often and pretty liberally. looks really nice if you're dressing them up to give it a coat to get some shine. usually a coat every every contact with snow salt.

 

Thanks ... I happen to have some of that and might try it.  I have a pair of ambers as well and put an insane amount of Obenauf's Boot Oil on them when they were brand new.  It made them softer than my girlfriends booty but totally ruined them for any sort of "shine" ... so I'm waiting for them to dry over the coming months and then I'm going to take a more "shiny" approach ... might even use some sort of neutral shoe polish.  I love the look of the darker, heavily worn Amber's with a nice shine applied ... might try the Dr. Martins as an initial step towards that goal.  None of the oils I've tried really give much of a shine...

post #1072 of 1205
I'll do my ambers in a very light coating of Filson boot oil maybe twice a year and then Angelus clear wax about twice a year. The wax gives it a little shine, especially on the toe caps after a quick buffing. I don't beat mine up, but I like the result. I'll post pics when I get home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1073 of 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post
 

Preliminary results, no pics yet....

 

the RW LP is, wow in about 12 hours it is completely dried and you cannot tell at all I applied it even to the super light hawthorne muleskinner leather.  Excellent if you don't want to darken.  It will not darken at all.

 

The RW boot cream, looks just as dark as when I applied it about 12 hours ago.  Now, since it's a cream/oil it might be that it just takes longer to dry.  Also, I did not try to take a blow dryer to it to heat it and dry it.  I will try that next to see if the boot cream dries faster and how dark it gets. 

 

So right now, anybody wondering, RW LP is absolutely fine to use and will not darken your leather at all. Not even 1% darker. Looks exactly the same when dried.  Jury still out on boot cream....


The RW LP that you're using is their leather protector spray, correct? http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/product/care-products/leather-protector-97108

 

Is the natural boot cream their All Natural Leather Conditioner http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/product/care-products/conditioner-all-natural-3-oz-97104
or
the Boot Cream http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/product/care-products/boot-cream-neutral-97110

 

Can't wait to hear/see the results of the 2nd product as well...thanks for testing!

post #1074 of 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevora32 View Post

I'll do my ambers in a very light coating of Filson boot oil maybe twice a year and then Angelus clear wax about twice a year. The wax gives it a little shine, especially on the toe caps after a quick buffing. I don't beat mine up, but I like the result. I'll post pics when I get home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Thanks ... would love to see some pics.  I'm wanting to figure out a way to get a semi gloss going on them over time ... especially once those dark wear-highlights start showing up ... they look awesome that way.

post #1075 of 1205
6e1d5f4b5641728b215e64db202ca62e.jpg

Honestly, unless you're gonna be using these as shit kickers, I wouldn't go crazy on product. Full grain leather is pretty hearty, and I wouldn't want to over saturate them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1076 of 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckslayer5676 View Post
 


The RW LP that you're using is their leather protector spray, correct? http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/product/care-products/leather-protector-97108

 

Is the natural boot cream their All Natural Leather Conditioner http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/product/care-products/conditioner-all-natural-3-oz-97104
or
the Boot Cream http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/product/care-products/boot-cream-neutral-97110

 

Can't wait to hear/see the results of the 2nd product as well...thanks for testing!


You know, I'm glad you asked.  I thought I was using the natural boot conditioner and LP, both from RW.  Now that I look, neither nor.  I just bought what the guy at the local RW store told me to use when I was discussing my black chaparell brogue rangers and copper rought and tough iron rangers with him.  I didn't realize, I bought both products from the local store and I assumed it's the same stuff I was seeing on the RW site that I always go to, but it's actually not.  :-(

 

Here are the two products...

RW - The Original Boot Paste

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Wing-Natural-conditions-moisturized/dp/B00S6XJK2M/ref=pd_sim_309_8?ie=UTF8&dpID=51u0I7ssB%2BL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0RXC97B0A8N39A7FPDMB

 

RW Silicone spray

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Wing-Shoes-Silicone-95115/dp/B008KP28OI/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&fp=1&pc_redir=T1

 

The Silicone spray, I would have actually preferred to use their LP, but apparently the silicone spray is OK to use on dry leathers and suede/rough out after I did a little research.   But I'm kinda pissed about the other boots.  I put the boot paste on (luckily) first before the silicone on my copper rough and tough and the they look totally normal.  Silicone can dry out oil tanned leather so I wouldn't have used it on those.  I'm guessing the boot paste kept the silicone spray from really drying out the other two boots at all even though they are oil based and shiny leathers..  Guess it's my fault for not doing more research after talking to the local store and just taking the stuff he handed me... Pretty lucky, my black brougue rangers look good/normal, my copper rough and tough IRs look good/normal, and my 8181 hawthorne muleskinner with just the silicone spray (no boot paste) turned out fine.

 

The boot paste when I applied it to the 8181s I took a blow dryer to the small spot on the tongue and it stayed darker so I didn't use that on the 8181s, only the silicone spray.

 

Maybe I'm overreacting since all my boots look fine, just never intended to use silicone on any of them. Preferred their regular RW LP. 

post #1077 of 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post
 

 

The Silicone spray, I would have actually preferred to use their LP, but apparently the silicone spray is OK to use on dry leathers and suede/rough out after I did a little research.   But I'm kinda pissed about the other boots.  I put the boot paste on (luckily) first before the silicone on my copper rough and tough and the they look totally normal.  Silicone can dry out oil tanned leather so I wouldn't have used it on those.  I'm guessing the boot paste kept the silicone spray from really drying out the other two boots at all even though they are oil based and shiny leathers..  Guess it's my fault for not doing more research after talking to the local store and just taking the stuff he handed me... Pretty lucky, my black brougue rangers look good/normal, my copper rough and tough IRs look good/normal, and my 8181 hawthorne muleskinner with just the silicone spray (no boot paste) turned out fine.

 

The boot paste when I applied it to the 8181s I took a blow dryer to the small spot on the tongue and it stayed darker so I didn't use that on the 8181s, only the silicone spray.

 

Maybe I'm overreacting since all my boots look fine, just never intended to use silicone on any of them. Preferred their regular RW LP. 

 

Saphir Renomat is your friend, friend.

 

I've used it to remove oil and silicone from the surface of my IR leather several times now and it's really good and very potent.  It will also strip shoes/boots of wax polish and anything else applied to the surface.  Shouldn't have any issue with it but test it somewhere on the tongue first ...

 

Read more about it here: https://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-reno-mat-cleaner.html

 

You can get it for about 12 bucks on Amazon.

 

...

 

 

 

 

:bigstar:

post #1078 of 1205

From earlier in this thread ... *this* is what I'm wanting to get over time with my Ambers ... guy said he used Saphir renovateur for conditioning and then light applications of Kiwi brown and black polish (I'm guessing in different areas) to achieve this ...

 

So awesome looking:

 

...

 

 

...

 

I also like the laces he's using (which are standard Beckman laces) more than the stock Iron Ranger laces. Going to go by my Red Wing dealer this weekend and buy new laces for all three of my IR's ... :-)  ...

 

I wish I could "speed age" my three pair some how but there's just no way to do it except for wearing them.

 

This guy says he "sno seals" the welts every year as well.

 

killer boots...


Edited by s1rrah - 2/12/16 at 3:37am
post #1079 of 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevora32 View Post

6e1d5f4b5641728b215e64db202ca62e.jpg

Honestly, unless you're gonna be using these as shit kickers, I wouldn't go crazy on product. Full grain leather is pretty hearty, and I wouldn't want to over saturate them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look really good! Looks like you found a good combination of products that won't darken the Amber leather. Thanks for posting the pic.

post #1080 of 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post
 

 

Saphir Renomat is your friend, friend.

 

I've used it to remove oil and silicone from the surface of my IR leather several times now and it's really good and very potent.  It will also strip shoes/boots of wax polish and anything else applied to the surface.  Shouldn't have any issue with it but test it somewhere on the tongue first ...

 

Read more about it here: https://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-reno-mat-cleaner.html

 

You can get it for about 12 bucks on Amazon.

 

...

 

 

 

 

:bigstar:


GRRRRR...   Just ordered some of this, some of the non-silicone LP, AND some of the mustang paste.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?