or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rethinking the thrift shop habit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rethinking the thrift shop habit

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
http://seattle.craigslist.org/about/.../25033564.html Eric, this is not funny, so do not get your hopes up.
post #2 of 12
hahahaha. if they go to the salvation army, then they probably go to ebay as well. no wonder that vintage Brioni jacket smelled so funny
post #3 of 12
It does, however, eliminate the dilemma my poor wife would face when it comes time to send me to the crematorium. One would presume she'd want me to meet my maker in one of my favorite suits, although I know the thought of several hundred dollars worth of wool burning up would drive her batty. Now she can have me dressed in my finest, and not lose a moments sleep while she waits for the insurance checks to start pouring in. Does make one wonder though: if the suit I'm sent to the oven with is, ultimately, donated to the Salvation Army, could my wife take one last tax deduction for the rather sizable donation it would represent?
post #4 of 12
Pretty funny. I'm sure the lines are long for those non-flammable suits, a nice polyester/asbestos blend.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
I always thought they cut the clothes down the back to facilitate things. I have found plenty of suits I wouldn't be caught dead in... BTW, IIRC, formaldehyde is used both in the fabric/clothing trade (hence the expression 'mad as a hatter', and the spacey expressions on fabric store employees' faces) and embalming. Ashes to ashes, and all that.
post #6 of 12
Actually J... the term Mad As A Hatter was used to describe the advanced stages of Mercury poisoning brought on by the most popular fur treatment in the mid 1800's "carroting". Mercury Nitrate was brushed on to cheaper furs and smoothed out by hand, as cheaper furs didn't mat easily and were usually not uniformly dense. Mercury Nitrate poisoning causes a variety of fun symptoms like twitching uncontrollably, tooth and memory loss, slurred speech, depression and extreme anxiety. Finer furs, like beaver, have serrated edges, easily mat, and are generally more uniform in density, thus they don't require carroting. Only the finest hat makers could afford beaver fur however, and the rest were unfortunately driven mad, and eventually killed by their craft.
post #7 of 12
l always wanted to be a funeral director, ever sinse l was a little kid. Gr8 storey. Regards: shooman.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
I always thought they cut the clothes down the back to facilitate things.
I think that is an urban legend.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Quote:
(j @ Jan. 25 2005,20:25) I always thought they cut the clothes down the back to facilitate things.
I think that is an urban legend.
It would, however, explain the 30-1/2" center vent in the back of my new blazer.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
l always wanted to be a funeral director, ever sinse l was a little kid. Gr8 storey. Regards: shooman.
Quoi? Jon.
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Actually J... the term Mad As A Hatter was used to describe the advanced stages of Mercury poisoning brought on by the most popular fur treatment in the mid 1800's "carroting". Mercury Nitrate was brushed on to cheaper furs and smoothed out by hand, as cheaper furs didn't mat easily and were usually not uniformly dense. Mercury Nitrate poisoning causes a variety of fun symptoms like twitching uncontrollably, tooth and memory loss, slurred speech, depression and extreme anxiety. Finer furs, like beaver, have serrated edges, easily mat, and are generally more uniform in density, thus they don't require carroting. Only the finest hat makers could afford beaver fur however, and the rest were unfortunately driven mad, and eventually killed by their craft.
Oh yeah. I had probably heard that. Well, in any case, formaldehyde is used in fabric manufacturing, and you can feel its effects (I can, anyway) by wandering around in a fabric store for a while. I get a headache and start feeling dizzy within 15 minutes or so.
post #12 of 12
Formaldehyde... reminds me of undergrad gross anatomy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rethinking the thrift shop habit