or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 333

post #4981 of 28332
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_r View Post
thanks! yeah i do kind of wish i could narrow them a bit, but as it is, they're a bit snug while sitting at work, which probably is why the crease up so easy.
I think you have room in the knees. Don't narrow the thighs and you'll be fine. But, of course, you should know better. I had another thought... If your trousers are too tight when you sit down, maybe you stretched them this way? That would explain the weird creasing and the fact that it wasn't present before.
post #4982 of 28332
Hi, I have a dinner/prom event coming up. I was hoping to have some help on my outfit. My date is wearing a red and black dress, mostly red with black details.

Anyway, I'll be wearing a plain black suit with most probably a white shirt. I need some help on my tie and pocket square combination. I do intend to have some red or light pink in my outfit but need some suggestions on the combination, or the shirt as well. The only thing that really has to stay is the black suit.

Thank you for the help in advance! Much appreciated!
post #4983 of 28332
Quote:
Originally Posted by James09T View Post
Hi, I have a dinner/prom event coming up. I was hoping to have some help on my outfit. My date is wearing a red and black dress, mostly red with black details. Anyway, I'll be wearing a plain black suit with most probably a white shirt. I need some help on my tie and pocket square combination. I do intend to have some red or light pink in my outfit but need some suggestions on the combination, or the shirt as well. The only thing that really has to stay is the black suit. Thank you for the help in advance! Much appreciated!
If I most definitely needed some red in the outfit, it'd be socks and maybe a hint of a very-very dark hue of red in the pocket square. The tie would've been black.
post #4984 of 28332
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post
I think you have room in the knees. Don't narrow the thighs and you'll be fine. But, of course, you should know better.

I had another thought... If your trousers are too tight when you sit down, maybe you stretched them this way? That would explain the weird creasing and the fact that it wasn't present before.

they're not really tight unless i crouch down in an awkward position or something, just kinda snug. slimming below the knee does sound like a good idea though, because now that i think about it, most of my jeans that are wide in the knee tend to crease funny, but the ones that are tapered from mid-thigh down tend to fall nicer. i know those are jeans though, kind of a totally different thing.

i asked a co-worker who always has great looking pants how he keeps his nice, and he said he has a trouser press and presses them each night.
post #4985 of 28332
What is the best inexpensive slipper for home?
post #4986 of 28332
For a law school interview suit, solid navy or birdseye black/grey? I'm thinking navy, but birdseye does look a little more mature I think.
post #4987 of 28332
Quote:
Originally Posted by James09T View Post
Hi, I have a dinner/prom event coming up. I was hoping to have some help on my outfit. My date is wearing a red and black dress, mostly red with black details.

Anyway, I'll be wearing a plain black suit with most probably a white shirt. I need some help on my tie and pocket square combination. I do intend to have some red or light pink in my outfit but need some suggestions on the combination, or the shirt as well. The only thing that really has to stay is the black suit.

Thank you for the help in advance! Much appreciated!

Go with a black and burgundy striped tie (even found one for ya). White pocket square. White shirt is good, contrast is important at night.


Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy View Post
For a law school interview suit, solid navy or birdseye black/grey? I'm thinking navy, but birdseye does look a little more mature I think.

I think either would work. Go with the one that fits best.
post #4988 of 28332
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodyy View Post
Is it too '90s' to wear a t-shirt under a shirt (for example a checkered lumberjack shirt)?
It's ok, just not the most fashionable choice. I'd recommend instead using a deep v-neck so you get the benefits of an undershirt without it actually showing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
... Could this jacket be worn as a 3 roll 2?
Probably not.... You can just leave the top button open but that won't really make it roll. You can get it pressed so it's got a fairly strong roll but it can sort of throw off the jacket's shape since it wasn't designed that way. Still, I think a mix of 2B and 3B's fine in anyone's wardrobe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gezuz View Post
What are some high quality sweater brands to look at? I've looked around, Brooks Brothers? Trying to match my patterned Mabitex with some solid tops, and I'd like to try a few solid sweaters.Also, wearing sweaters over a collared shirt, does the collar have to be strong/starched? Any basic ideas I should know? I've never really tried to look.
Ralph lauren makes some really nice sweaters and they're often on sale here on the buy and sell and others.
I wear collared shirts under sweaters all the time. No need to do anything fancy with the collar, just make sure to keep them tucked in though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk193 View Post
Can a tailor add an inch or two in the waist/hip area of a peacoat? (Let it out, essentially?)
That will just depend on how much fabric there is inside the coat. You can probably take about an inch out of each side, I'm just guessing. You'll have to take it to someone to check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
When shoes are described as "blobby" what does that mean?
Generally people are talking about the last/sole shape. While many hate a cut off squared short toe, there's just as much hate for a super long pointy toe. Most around here like a generally rounded off end, slightly elongated. If it's too "round", then the shoe sort of looks shapeless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post
Would a size 42/52 suit jacket with a BoC measurement of 30" be a regular or a short. Thanks in advance, much appreciated
Sounds like a short. I can tell you that even a 36r has that same 30'', so on a 42 it's probably a short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meok View Post
How easy would it be for a tailor/alterationist to create and attach a belt loop from left over fabric?
Shouldn't be too hard I would think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post
Hi, I would like to know what do you think about black and brown? Do you think that putting brown pants and a black shoes (or the black pants and brown shoes) is a bad idea ? Thank you for your asnwears
Black and brown can be tricky. It's probably not SF approved but many people wear black shoes with various shades of brown and cream pants, which I think looks fine. Black pants and brown shoes are a no no though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe1969 View Post
I looked at a sport coat I am interested in. It has no lining at all. Is this normal? It is a well known italian brand. Thanks for any help.
Totally normal. Some are full lines, some have a quarter, or no lining at all. It's probably more of a summer weight jacket.
post #4989 of 28332
This is a question more for someone who actually works in a conservative business environment -- Is it 'going against the grain' to have a ticket pocket on their navy interview suit? Do you think it would be noticed?
post #4990 of 28332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baverso View Post
This is a question more for someone who actually works in a conservative business environment -- Is it 'going against the grain' to have a ticket pocket on their navy interview suit? Do you think it would be noticed?

In continental Europe or in East Asia, in banking, insurance, consulting or law, I don't think anyone would even notice. People usually know too little about style and fashion in order to make any judgement on a thing like a ticket-pocket. So as long as the general perception is good and the colours meet the expectation of the environment, I'd say go for the ticket pocket. I have one of in one of my more conservative suits.
post #4991 of 28332
Looking to purchase my first 'respectable' dress shoe. Something to wear with suits. Budget: $200.00 Color: Brown, Whiskey, Merlot, etc... Style: Oxford (looking for a clean minimalistic design) Any recommendations would be appreciated.
post #4992 of 28332
so i just bought a new suit that fits pretty well in the shoulders and chest, but is pretty loose in the waist and hips... a competent tailor can bring this in and make it look nice, right? i would take a picture but i am without a camera until thursday.

the next size smaller fit great in the waist and hips, but was too tight in the shoulders and chest.
post #4993 of 28332
Quote:
Originally Posted by racetrack View Post
Looking to purchase my first 'respectable' dress shoe. Something to wear with suits.

Budget: $200.00
Color: Brown, Whiskey, Merlot, etc...
Style: Oxford (looking for a clean minimalistic design)

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Allen Edmonds can often be found on sale for around $200 and fit your description above, at least to the degree that it is achievable at the $200 price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_r
so i just bought a new suit that fits pretty well in the shoulders and chest, but is pretty loose in the waist and hips... a competent tailor can bring this in and make it look nice, right? i would take a picture but i am without a camera until thursday.

the next size smaller fit great in the waist and hips, but was too tight in the shoulders and chest.
Yes, the waist and hips alteration is a standard alteration while shoulders and chest are so difficult as to be rarely worth the expense.
post #4994 of 28332
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_r View Post
so i just bought a new suit that fits pretty well in the shoulders and chest, but is pretty loose in the waist and hips... a competent tailor can bring this in and make it look nice, right? i would take a picture but i am without a camera until thursday.

the next size smaller fit great in the waist and hips, but was too tight in the shoulders and chest.

dah already answered this. Just make sure the tailor knows his way around a suit jacket.
post #4995 of 28332
so i take it trusting the person who does alterations for a department store probably isn't a great idea? so damn hard to find a tailor around here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here