or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 332

post #4966 of 27587
I looked at a sport coat I am interested in. It has no lining at all. Is this normal? It is a well known italian brand. Thanks for any help.
post #4967 of 27587
Towards the middle of this page there is a short video of Kobe Bryant being interviewed wearing a charcoal grey cardigan. http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/...s-chicago#more Do any of you gentleman have any idea on the brand? or knowledge of anything similar? It's absolutely fantastic. Thanks
post #4968 of 27587
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe1969 View Post
Is this normal?

Yes, sportcoats can be made with full, half, quarter or no lining. No lining at all is uncommon and I would expect to see it in a jacket made for summer or a warm-weather climate.
post #4969 of 27587
Brown shoes with black pants can be OK. The other way can't work.
post #4970 of 27587
This may sound dumb but I'll ask anyway. I wear mid-calf dress socks for work and such, however, I can never seem to get them to stay up. Throughout the day, I have to constantly pull them up. During special occasions, I can see this being extremely weird.

Any tips to solve this issue or will I have to go with over the calf socks? Only problem with them is that they're hard to find, especially in patterns I like.

Thank you.
post #4971 of 27587
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post
This may sound dumb but I'll ask anyway. I wear mid-calf dress socks for work and such, however, I can never seem to get them to stay up. Throughout the day, I have to constantly pull them up. During special occasions, I can see this being extremely weird.

Any tips to solve this issue or will I have to go with over the calf socks? Only problem with them is that they're hard to find, especially in patterns I like.

Thank you.

I have the same problem with most of the socks I own. I tend to go with OTC nowadays. However, some shorter socks stay up fine. I guess it all depends on the construction.
post #4972 of 27587
Quote:
Originally Posted by binge View Post
Yes, sportcoats can be made with full, half, quarter or no lining. No lining at all is uncommon and I would expect to see it in a jacket made for summer or a warm-weather climate.
Thank you for the info.
post #4973 of 27587
Anyone with Thom Browne pants that have the white brand/sizing patch on the bottom of the leg please chime in, do you leave them on or have it removed? I quite like the look of it on the shirts but not sure about having them on the pants. Also, anyone got any good recommendations for high quality khaki shorts? Just plain clean looking ones I might be able to wear penny loafers with. Just to put into context though, I'm from Singapore from wearing shorts here is somewhat socially acceptable. Thanks!
post #4974 of 27587
hey mc, so since sw&d and mc are bros now, i have a probably noobish question for you guys...

My suit pants are wrinkly as shit, I remember them draping a lot nicer back when they were new, didn't crease funny, etc. any way I can make the pants look like new again? Pressing them only seems to make them look nice on the hanger, but they still drape kinda funny and get wrinkly again really fast. (unless I'm pressing them wrong... iron with steam on high heat)

Will dry cleaning help?
post #4975 of 27587
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_r View Post
hey mc, so since sw&d and mc are bros now, i have a probably noobish question for you guys...

My suit pants are wrinkly as shit, I remember them draping a lot nicer back when they were new, didn't crease funny, etc. any way I can make the pants look like new again? Pressing them only seems to make them look nice on the hanger, but they still drape kinda funny and get wrinkly again really fast. (unless I'm pressing them wrong... iron with steam on high heat)

Will dry cleaning help?

Could be due to many reasons.

- you have gained/lost weight
- they are too long or too short and you need to take them to a tailor
- you are pressing them wrong

In any case a picture would be helpful.
post #4976 of 27587
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post
Could be due to many reasons.

- you have gained/lost weight
- they are too long or too short and you need to take them to a tailor
- you are pressing them wrong

In any case a picture would be helpful.

pretty sure i haven't changed much in weight since i got them, but maybe.

i think they are a bit long, i dont have a camera right now, but heres a picture from i think last week, after i got home from work so everything is at peak-wrinkliness

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8775/img2081copy.jpg

apart from the hem falling rather retardedly on the shoe, thats about how they fall
post #4977 of 27587
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_r View Post
pretty sure i haven't changed much in weight since i got them, but maybe. i think they are a bit long, i dont have a camera right now, but heres a picture from i think last week, after i got home from work so everything is at peak-wrinkliness http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8775/img2081copy.jpg apart from the hem falling rather retardedly on the shoe, thats about how they fall
Nice jacket! A little fixing on the pants and you'll be quite the gentleman. That said, I had something like that happening on one of my dress pants and I had to narrow them at the knee and thigh a bit. A good tailor would know what to do. And probably shortening them just a tiny amount while you're at it would be a splendid idea. Try to get someone else's opinion on this too, since I'm not 100% sure what the problem is.
post #4978 of 27587
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_r View Post
pretty sure i haven't changed much in weight since i got them, but maybe.

i think they are a bit long, i dont have a camera right now, but heres a picture from i think last week, after i got home from work so everything is at peak-wrinkliness

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8775/img2081copy.jpg

apart from the hem falling rather retardedly on the shoe, thats about how they fall

I suspect you're steaming them wrong. Probably shouldn't be using high heat, that's for cotton and linen. Wool needs a somewhat lower temperature. Most irons will tell you (ie, wool setting, cotton setting, poly blend setting), surprised yours doesn't.

Dry cleaning wouldn't help, though the professional press and steaming they would get at the cleaners would. Dry clean as little as possible, it breaks down the wool, removing lanolin, which is the natural oil in wool that makes it water resistant and springy. Taking them into the cleaners for a steam and press (they have presses that are much better then a home iron) might just be the way to go.
post #4979 of 27587
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post
Nice jacket! A little fixing on the pants and you'll be quite the gentleman. That said, I had something like that happening on one of my dress pants and I had to narrow them at the knee and thigh a bit. A good tailor would know what to do. And probably shortening them just a tiny amount while you're at it would be a splendid idea.

Try to get someone else's opinion on this too, since I'm not 100% sure what the problem is.

thanks! yeah i do kind of wish i could narrow them a bit, but as it is, they're a bit snug while sitting at work, which probably is why the crease up so easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I suspect you're steaming them wrong. Probably shouldn't be using high heat, that's for cotton and linen. Wool needs a somewhat lower temperature. Most irons will tell you (ie, wool setting, cotton setting, poly blend setting), surprised yours doesn't.

Dry cleaning wouldn't help, though the professional press and steaming they would get at the cleaners would. Dry clean as little as possible, it breaks down the wool, removing lanolin, which is the natural oil in wool that makes it water resistant and springy. Taking them into the cleaners for a steam and press (they have presses that are much better then a home iron) might just be the way to go.

cool, thanks! its a poly blend 'wrinkle resistant' suit from marks and spencers if that makes a difference.

I'll try ironing them again using more steam and less heat this time. I think my iron does have a thing that says wool/cotton/linen, etc but i usually dont even look at it and just leave it on cotton because usually i'm just ironing dress shirts.

if that fails, i'll just take them to the drycleaners to get pressed.
post #4980 of 27587
a
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here