or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 203

post #3031 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarchay View Post
Looking to buy a really inexpensive linen/linen blend sports coat to wear this summer. Macy's has the following sports coat in khaki on sale for $36. Alternatively, I could get this one from Old Navy.

I too am looking for a linen sport coat, and the brands I'm more familiar with (such as J. Crew) don't seem to have them this year. I have found:
John W. Nordstrom Two Button Linen Sportcoat
L. L. Bean Kennebunk Linen Blazer
But I can't find any independent comments on what sort of quality or fit they would provide, or even just general commentary about the brand. Anyone know if they're decent?
post #3032 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
I too am looking for a linen sport coat, and the brands I'm more familiar with (such as J. Crew) don't seem to have them this year. I have found:
John W. Nordstrom Two Button Linen Sportcoat
L. L. Bean Kennebunk Linen Blazer
But I can't find any independent comments on what sort of quality or fit they would provide, or even just general commentary about the brand. Anyone know if they're decent?

A bit out of my price range.
post #3033 of 28550
good belt to match AE Strands in Walnut? (I know I could just go with a belt from AE, but none of them really interested me)
post #3034 of 28550
Can anyone tell me the width of T.M. Lewin ties? I presume 9 cm...
post #3035 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by miomall1 View Post
Can anyone tell me the width of T.M. Lewin ties? I presume 9 cm...

I have one from them, and it seems to be 8.5 cm.
post #3036 of 28550
I will be getting fitted for my first suit on Friday. It will be made-to-measure, as that is about the only option for someone my height/build (5'3, 125lbs). It will be used for job interviews and just as a general post-undergrad first suit.

So far, I am thinking the following: two-button, notch lapel, charcoal, European (as opposed to American) cut. Pants uncuffed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or corrections in terms of styling? Any comments at all really? I truly do not want to mess this up and want to go in as prepared as possible.
post #3037 of 28550
I don't know if it's "natural" (whatever that means), but Hugo Boss cologne smells really really good. Macy's carries it.
post #3038 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt View Post
I will be getting fitted for my first suit on Friday. It will be made-to-measure, as that is about the only option for someone my height/build (5'3, 125lbs). It will be used for job interviews and just as a general post-undergrad first suit.

So far, I am thinking the following: two-button, notch lapel, charcoal, European (as opposed to American) cut. Pants uncuffed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or corrections in terms of styling? Any comments at all really? I truly do not want to mess this up and want to go in as prepared as possible.

Double vents too.

Also consider ticket or hacking pockets, pleats or no, etc.
post #3039 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt View Post
I will be getting fitted for my first suit on Friday. It will be made-to-measure, as that is about the only option for someone my height/build (5'3, 125lbs). It will be used for job interviews and just as a general post-undergrad first suit. So far, I am thinking the following: two-button, notch lapel, charcoal, European (as opposed to American) cut. Pants uncuffed. Does anyone have any other suggestions or corrections in terms of styling? Any comments at all really? I truly do not want to mess this up and want to go in as prepared as possible.
Have a look at some of the examples on the WAYWRT thread...you might change your mind about 'uncuffed pants' etc.
post #3040 of 28550
[quote=Spaghettimatt;3335178European (as opposed to American) cut. .[/QUOTE]

Which could mean anything.
post #3041 of 28550
I'm a college student and in the process of building a wardrobe from scratch, and I want to pick up three BB oxfords during the sale, and I need advice on which colors to get.

I currently have a BB regular OCBD in burgundy stripes, a BB pinpoint oxford in blue, and a JCrew pinpoint oxford in white. I'm planning to get a BB OCBD in blue stripes (I don't have that color yet), solid pink (I don't have that color yet as well), but what should I get for the third shirt? I could get blue, in which case I'll have two shirts in blue (the pinpoint and the regular OCBD); or I could get white, in which case I'll have two shirts in white (the JCrew shirt and the one from BB). Which would you get--white or blue?
post #3042 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarchay View Post
I'm a college student and in the process of building a wardrobe from scratch, and I want to pick up three BB oxfords during the sale, and I need advice on which colors to get. I currently have a BB regular OCBD in burgundy stripes, a BB pinpoint oxford in blue, and a JCrew pinpoint oxford in white. I'm planning to get a BB OCBD in blue stripes (I don't have that color yet), solid pink (I don't have that color yet as well), but what should I get for the third shirt? I could get blue, in which case I'll have two shirts in blue (the pinpoint and the regular OCBD); or I could get white, in which case I'll have two shirts in white (the JCrew shirt and the one from BB). Which would you get--white or blue?
White. I slowly learn that those of us who have to dress up for work, need a lot of white shirts. The best thing is that they go with everything. When I first built my shirt wardrobe, I had mostly blue in various clothes, patterns. Then, I added a lot of pinks (8 or so) (they look great with my skin color). But I now buy and wear dominantly white (in various textures). Oh, and I got rid of all of my stripes, though I think that's just personal taste.
post #3043 of 28550
Whichever one best matches your complexion. 80% of my shirts are blue, because it is my best colour.
post #3044 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
Which could mean anything.

But this is exactly what I mean. I want to know exactly what I should be looking out for before hand.
post #3045 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt View Post
But this is exactly what I mean. I want to know exactly what I should be looking out for before hand.
To be perfectly frank, the broadness of your question suggests that you know little about the characteristics of tailored suits. Of course, we all have to start somewhere, but you might be expecting too much if you think you can learn enough between now and your fitting on Friday to dictate a bunch of details on the suit. In fact, that is almost surely the way to get it wrong. If I were you, I would stick to as plain vanilla a suit as possible. What you have suggested (two-button, notch lapel, charcoal, no cuffs) is pretty safe. A mistake many guys make is trying to fit a bunch of distinctive or unusual details into their first suit and they end up with some kind of Frankenstein monstrosity. If you really want to develop an understanding of the whole process, I would suggest reading up on it here and in a couple books and then for your second suit, suggest a few refining details that might improve on your first suit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here