or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1830

post #27436 of 29422
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post

What are the names of each of these shoe styles in the following link? Thank you.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XZgkX8ierKQ/UDaMeiAW5xI/AAAAAAAAAmI/sJ9atOlM_i0/s1600/david+gandy1.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

First looks like a pair of cap toes and the 2nd and 3rd look like chelsea boots.

I think first has broguing on the cap. Tough to see in the pic. If so, brogue cap toe.

Edit: More exact name would be "semi-brogue" if there is broguing on the cap.
post #27437 of 29422

I had posted this in the good taste thread asking of its merit of good taste and got shit on for trying, it is like I said the Holocaust never happened.

 

So I bring the question to this thread and would appreciate a dissection of the look.


Unless I am dead wrong, I do not find this offensive to the eyes. I know perhaps to some folks this is pushing it, and I mightn't have picked that particular tie, most likely a solid, but I do like that tie itself. However I quite like that SC and think it was a safe bet to pair with a blue shirt. In hindsight, perhaps a barrel cuff shirt would work nicer than a french cuff in this outfit. 

 

I have a few SC with very similar patterns and I guess I am seeing what I like, but again, unless I am totally wrong, I do not see this as repulsive, I've seen much worse in my area from those who supposedly work in men's stores, keep in mind I am in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and it isn't exactly the Pitti capital of Canada.

]

post #27438 of 29422
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJhambone09 View Post

No question is dumb unless you could have easily obtained the answer yourself like by searching. You will notice here that most everyone will jump down your throat pretty quickly if you ask a question that has been answered 1,000 other times. Yours have been pretty specific to your situation, so they are fine, and you asked them in the right place. I'd avoid starting new threads for questions for the most part, just ask here.

They are probably a little long to wear untucked, but it depends on your environment. I wouldn't wear them untucked to work, regardless of what others at work do. That's just too far below professional for me. But if you mean making them dual purpose to wear on the weekend or something, it would be up to you. I don't as I feel they are too long, but you may get one and think it's fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

I would look at H&M for dress shirts to wear untucked. They'd probably run you about 12-15 bucks each.

nice thanks.
post #27439 of 29422
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnathor View Post

I had posted this in the good taste thread asking of its merit of good taste and got shit on for trying, it is like I said the Holocaust never happened.

So I bring the question to this thread and would appreciate a dissection of the look.


Unless I am dead wrong, I do not find this offensive to the eyes. I know perhaps to some folks this is pushing it, and I mightn't have picked that particular tie, most likely a solid, but I do like that tie itself. However I quite like that SC and think it was a safe bet to pair with a blue shirt. In hindsight, perhaps a barrel cuff shirt would work nicer than a french cuff in this outfit. 

I have a few SC with very similar patterns and I guess I am seeing what I like, but again, unless I am totally wrong, I do not see this as repulsive, I've seen much worse in my area from those who supposedly work in men's stores, keep in mind I am in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and it isn't exactly the Pitti capital of Canada.
]

Looks great to me. It's not a sedate look by any means, but it's very well composed. SF's attitude on dark pants might get you a little blowback, but I've never really agreed with that one anyway.
post #27440 of 29422
Maybe I'm not paying enough attention but why the hate against dark trousers?
post #27441 of 29422
I don't think it is very tasteful, personally. The belt isn't very nice, his shirt collar is too big, and the patterns are overall far too loud.
post #27442 of 29422
I agree about the belt. Though I do like the FU jacket.
post #27443 of 29422
post #27444 of 29422
Quote:
Doesn't look like it. They look like gabardine.
post #27445 of 29422

I wear men's size 7 (UK) shoes, but there is a pair of size 8 (UK) boots I really like on sale online (Chelsea boots).

 

Size 7 (UK) is not loose on me at all, and fits quite nicely.

 

Would a size 8 (UK) be too loose?

 

(I don't have the time to go and try them on for myself at the moment.)

post #27446 of 29422
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnathor View Post

I agree about the belt. Though I do like the FU jacket.
I doubt the loud jacket is what caused the poster to get criticized in the good taste thread. They generally like loud odd jackets over there.

Could be the fact that it is a gray odd jacket paired with what appears to be navy odd trousers (or maybe they are black?).
post #27447 of 29422
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTopCat View Post

I wear men's size 7 (UK) shoes, but there is a pair of size 8 (UK) boots I really like on sale online (Chelsea boots).

Size 7 (UK) is not loose on me at all, and fits quite nicely.

Would a size 8 (UK) be too loose?

(I don't have the time to go and try them on for myself at the moment.)

Yes. They would be a full size too big.

Seriously dude, why is this a question? Don't buy shoes that aren't your size. Badly fitting shoes are a surefire recipe for pain.
post #27448 of 29422

I don't know if I'd call it tasteful but I like the look.

post #27449 of 29422

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnathor View Post
 

 

So I bring the question to this thread and would appreciate a dissection of the look.


Unless I am dead wrong, I do not find this offensive to the eyes. I know perhaps to some folks this is pushing it, and I mightn't have picked that particular tie, most likely a solid, but I do like that tie itself. However I quite like that SC and think it was a safe bet to pair with a blue shirt. In hindsight, perhaps a barrel cuff shirt would work nicer than a french cuff in this outfit. 

It's possible to dress quite well, without being in the best possible taste. This is okay, but it's the very definition of "dressing like you sell clothes." That's the guy who runs Khakis of Carmel, right? So it's a good thing for him to dress like a haberdasher.

 

I don't love that tie, and the only pants I can picture looking great with that jacket are slate blue flannels, which leaves me in a quandry WRT shoes. But just because something isn't in the strictest good taste doesn't mean that it can't look good.

 

Sir James:

 

To be honest, those particular tattersalls are right down the middle. On one hand, the scale is large, which lends them to countryish or casual wear. On the other hand, the texture and colors aren't particularly tweed-y. Now, in my opinion, their natural place is with casual summer stuff, because of the colors. A tan cotton suit, or some kind of windowpane linen patterned jacket. I wouldn't like those shirts with worsted business suits, or with cool-weather tailored clothing.

 

Here are some shirts I can get behind, with either a spread or BD collar, with business-like clothes (suits a notch down from the most formal, like flannels or birdseyes). They would also be at home with more casual attire. The colors aren't married to a particular season.

 

http://www.jpressonline.com/tattersall-button-down-navy-red-white/

http://www.tmlewin.com/Slim-Fit-Blue-Check-Double-Cuff-Twill-Shirt/48713,en_US,pd.html?start=28&cgid=Mens-Slim-Fit-Shirts&prefn1=collarSize&prefv1=15&prefn2=sleeveLength&prefv2=33&prefn3=FabType&prefv3=Pinpoint|Twill

 

Of the links you posted, the first two are too big: the size of the checks are borderline, but the thickness of the lines push them over the edge. The colors are very bold and spring-like, too. The blue/black one is nice, but I'm not sure of the scale. The fourth is okay, if a bit bright a color for a poplin (bold colors work well on brushed cotton, because then the texture makes them clearly a F/W shirt). The last one there is a sport shirt, and not one I like.

 

I'd gladly wear the "suit only" one you posted with an odd jacket in all but the roughest tweeds, or under a sweater.

post #27450 of 29422
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post


Doesn't look like it. They look like gabardine.

Can gabardine trousers be used as a substitute for flannel trousers? Or do they have completely different functions?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here