or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1755

post #26311 of 28325
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 


Because it has a wingtip.

 

There's not a term for a wingtip without a medallion, maybe because a good English shoemaker in the 1930s wouldn't have made one...

 

That's spitballin', though. Not certain. That kind of shoe kind of falls through the taxonomic cracks.

 

I'm afraid I have to disagree with RTC: that's not a micro houndstooth. I'm not sure what it is, though, so this is kind of not a very helpful post.


Really? I have a canali jacket like that and was told it was micro houndstooth slash puppytooth.

post #26312 of 28325
I'm trying to remember the name of a mens footwear company that mainly or only makes mens dress slippers. It's fairly pricy and they make a variety of different styles, with different fabrics instead of the usual velvet. Anyone have any idea?
post #26313 of 28325
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAJJLLPP View Post

Im a skinny guy, and I have a suit with a lapel width of 2.5", I have a tie that measures 3.25". The tie's colours look really good with the suit, but I am wondering if it is a bit too wide for it.

I'm 5'7" 150 lbs, and have done exactly that lapel/tie combo, and looked great.

It's in my old photos. Week try to post from my computer later. But go ahead and wear it, I say.
post #26314 of 28325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post

I'm trying to remember the name of a mens footwear company that mainly or only makes mens dress slippers. It's fairly pricy and they make a variety of different styles, with different fabrics instead of the usual velvet. Anyone have any idea?

Stubbs and Wooten or JP Crickets?

J
post #26315 of 28325
Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post

Stubbs and Wooten or JP Crickets?

J
Stubbs was the one. Thanks so much! Do you know if the quality warrants the steep price tag?
post #26316 of 28325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post

Stubbs was the one. Thanks so much! Do you know if the quality warrants the steep price tag?

I have only really checked out the JP Crickets as they had a booth at a polo match I went to last year.

I want to get a pair of black velvet monogramed ones but just can't bring myself to spend that much.

I don't think either are worth it, but then again the folks who usually wear them tend to have more wearwithal than I, so it may not be an issue for them.

J
post #26317 of 28325
Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post

I have only really checked out the JP Crickets as they had a booth at a polo match I went to last year.

I want to get a pair of black velvet monogramed ones but just can't bring myself to spend that much.

I don't think either are worth it, but then again the folks who usually wear them tend to have more wearwithal than I, so it may not be an issue for them.

J
I'd like a pair myself. I think it's one of those things I'd love to receive as a gift but couldn't rationalize paying full retail for. At least in this stage in my life. Ha.

I more-so meant were they well made and comparable to other velvet slippers on the market. I wouldn't want to buy a pair even if they were on sale if they were poorly crafted. Either way, thanks again for the info.
post #26318 of 28325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post

I'd like a pair myself. I think it's one of those things I'd love to receive as a gift but couldn't rationalize paying full retail for. At least in this stage in my life. Ha.

I more-so meant were they well made and comparable to other velvet slippers on the market. I wouldn't want to buy a pair even if they were on sale if they were poorly crafted. Either way, thanks again for the info.

I can't vouch personally as I've not owned nor closely inspected a pair. However I would venture to say that since they are eminently popular with the preppy families who wear everything forever and never throw anything out that they are indeed worth the heavy tariff.

That's the great thing about buying preppy staples, they are always worth or beyond worth whatever the cost is, and you know they will do their job and hold up because they have been tested by generations.

J
post #26319 of 28325
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker View Post

Who makes the nicest double monk in the $600 price range.

Carmina, C&J, and Ovadia & Sons get my vote(s)
post #26320 of 28325
Is altering a sweater feasible?
I got a sweater I cant really wear because it's too big. I can't sell it either. So it's either being thrown away or I would try to get it altered, should I bother?
post #26321 of 28325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurious View Post

Is altering a sweater feasible?
I got a sweater I cant really wear because it's too big. I can't sell it either. So it's either being thrown away or I would try to get it altered, should I bother?
Yes it's possible depending on what you want and the material of the sweater.

If the cost of alterations exceeds the value of the sweater I wouldn't bother. Unless I really loved that particular sweater for some reason.
post #26322 of 28325
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post

Carmina, C&J, and Ovadia & Sons get my vote(s)

Depends on the style you are looking for - Kent Wang / DC Lewis offer a swept back style where the buckles are further back
post #26323 of 28325

I recently agreed on price to buy an item from a SF user. He suggested, rather than going through Ebay, we should just go straight with Paypal so he can save some money on the Ebay fees. There will be an additional upcharge if we were to go through ebay. Since this is my first time using Paypal exclusively , is there any actual protection from this type of transaction? The user has about 30 posts since creating an account in 2010. 

 

He offered to write me an invoice, but I'm not sure how that works either. Please advise. Thanks. 

post #26324 of 28325
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

I recently agreed on price to buy an item from a SF user. He suggested, rather than going through Ebay, we should just go straight with Paypal so he can save some money on the Ebay fees. There will be an additional upcharge if we were to go through ebay. Since this is my first time using Paypal exclusively , is there any actual protection from this type of transaction? The user has about 30 posts since creating an account in 2010. 

He offered to write me an invoice, but I'm not sure how that works either. Please advise. Thanks. 

His point is valid, if you are unsure I would offer to pick up the eBay fees.

How much could they be?

J
post #26325 of 28325
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

I recently agreed on price to buy an item from a SF user. He suggested, rather than going through Ebay, we should just go straight with Paypal so he can save some money on the Ebay fees. There will be an additional upcharge if we were to go through ebay. Since this is my first time using Paypal exclusively , is there any actual protection from this type of transaction? The user has about 30 posts since creating an account in 2010. 

He offered to write me an invoice, but I'm not sure how that works either. Please advise. Thanks. 

Yes. Mark it down as a purchase on paypal, and you get protections from paypal that are essentially the same as you get through e-bay- they're the same entity, after all. Ebay is a tool for finding buyers, setting up a listing and paying those fees when you have a prearranged buyer is silly. And actually against e-bay rules, though it's kind of a gray area and people do it.

If you give him your e-mail, he can send you an invoice through paypal with the item and price listed, and you click "pay". Most people doing B&S just get the seller's e-mail and send them the money, though.

If you're not comfortable using paypal to pay for things, you should not be using the B&S.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here