or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1723

post #25831 of 28235
@nickalott

1. Don't get a black suit, unless you're planning on forming a Blues Brothers tribute band or Ska revival.  Navy, charcoal, maybe a lighter grey too...these are your friends.  

 

2.  The darker shoes will work well with a lighter grey or navy, but a little casual.  You need a black cap toe.  That's your number one shoe friend for all formal occasions, interviews, any business suit, and even black tie ("tuxedo" if you're American), if needed.  A brown shoe is a less dressy option with blue, grey etc., and the second shoe you buy.

 

3.  But don't buy any of the shoes you pictured.  They are utter shit.  Get a goodyear welted shoe from a reputable retailer and learn how to polish it.  It will be money far better spent in the long run, and if you're smart, you can pick some up for as little as $100.

post #25832 of 28235
Thanks Mimo!

Great review of the shoe. Exactly what I was looking for.

I bought them, more or less, for the weekend since it was at a reasonable price.
post #25833 of 28235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

@nickalott

1. Don't get a black suit, unless you're planning on forming a Blues Brothers tribute band or Ska revival.  Navy, charcoal, maybe a lighter grey too...these are your friends.

 

2.  The darker shoes will work well with a lighter grey or navy, but a little casual.  You need a black cap toe.  That's your number one shoe friend for all formal occasions, interviews, any business suit, and even black tie ("tuxedo" if you're American), if needed.  A brown shoe is a less dressy option with blue, grey etc., and the second shoe you buy.

 

3.  But don't buy any of the shoes you pictured.  They are utter shit.  Get a goodyear welted shoe from a reputable retailer and learn how to polish it.  It will be money far better spent in the long run, and if you're smart, you can pick some up for as little as $100.

Thanks @mimo. 

 

1. I already have purchesed the black suit (mistake I know!)

 

2. I already have a black cap toe, this brown one will be the second shoe that I buy.  I'm thinking that if you had to pick for my situation, you would reccomend the darker ones?

 

3. Utter shit? really? is this just becase you think that they are overpriced?  They look absolutely beautiful to me and the brand is definately reputable for making quality menswear...  If they really aren't worth the money then I will probably stay away rom them though.  Thanks for your help :)

post #25834 of 28235
^
Anything under AE or Meermin quality is considered rubbish on SF. Can you elaborate on point 3? Who makes those?
post #25835 of 28235
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

^
Anything under AE or Meermin quality is considered rubbish on SF. Can you elaborate on point 3? Who makes those?
Looks like a Gucci logo on the side of the heel.
post #25836 of 28235
Nickalott, if those are Gucci, then for $600 you can really do much better than those. I'd look into Crockett & Jones or Alfred Sargent at that price range. Heck, for $675 including custom lasted trees you can get Vass from NMWA right now:
http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/footwear/shoes.html
Either of their Alfred Sargent cap toes for $450 would be an excellent purchase as well. (UK sizing, sale ends this weekend.)
post #25837 of 28235

Yes they are Gucci.  That is why I was a bit suprised at hearing they were utter shit.  Thank you Fred for the tips, I will check out the link.

post #25838 of 28235

Is there a "test" thread anywhere where one can test things out (in my case posting photographs) before attempting things in a "real" thread?

 

Thanks.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #25839 of 28235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickalott View Post
 

Yes they are Gucci.  That is why I was a bit suprised at hearing they were utter shit.  Thank you Fred for the tips, I will check out the link.

 

Anything brand as high profile as Gucci is going to be priced above its actual quality.  Even if it is a quality product, you're paying extra for name recognition.

post #25840 of 28235
I didn't see the logo. They are just a very faddy "fashion" shape and appear to be glued together. I assumed they were something very cheap, overpriced had not entered my mind.

So, what I saidn but double. You can get decent shoes for a hundred bucks. And shit ones for a thousand, it seems.
post #25841 of 28235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

For $500...find decent...made to measure

peepwall[1].gif
post #25842 of 28235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

Is there a "test" thread anywhere where one can test things out (in my case posting photographs) before attempting things in a "real" thread?

 

Thanks.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

Stay away from posting anything in the art thread :lol:  I think you're ok to post in here.  Just make one post and edit if it doesn't work.  

 

Below is the edit button (looks like a blue pencil) 

post #25843 of 28235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleroller View Post
 

Stay away from posting anything in the art thread :lol:  I think you're ok to post in here.  Just make one post and edit if it doesn't work.  

 

Below is the edit button (looks like a blue pencil) 

 

Thanks.  Appreciated, as always.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #25844 of 28235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

 

Thanks.  Appreciated, as always.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

No problem.  If you have any questions in the process feel free to PM me and I can try and walk you through it.  

post #25845 of 28235

They're both on sale at Pediwear right now. Can't decide which one to get for a pair of brown suede chukkas.

Loake Pimlico Suede: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/5631.php

Loake Kempton Suede: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2514.php

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here