Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best stuff for spring and summer? Last post on 12/27/12 at 3:02am in Streetwear and Denim
- Mr. Porter Last post on 1/16/14 at 1:49am in Classic Menswear
- When is 3 Piece Suit appropriate Last post on 7/3/13 at 6:13am in Classic Menswear
- What To Wear With Linen Pants Last post on 7/22/11 at 10:18am in Streetwear and Denim
- Dressing to look taller? Last post on 3/3/14 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Le Noeud Papillon
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1694post #25396 of 2751512/22/13 at 3:49pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #25397 of 2751512/22/13 at 4:00pmpost #25398 of 2751512/22/13 at 4:57pmQuote:Originally Posted by wannabeQuote:Originally Posted by ridethecliche
It might be me, but the silhouette of the last two jackets looks a bit funny to me because there's just SO MUCH waist suppression relative to the shoulders. It makes it look like something is off because there's so much empty space inside where your lats should be.
The DB actually looks the best to me. Shockingly.
Yeah, I think you definitely said what I was trying to put into words. Would a shoulder reduction make the silhouette appear more normal on all three jackets?
My disorganised thoughts:
- Don't touch the shoulders on any of the jackets, because it's a world of pain for both your wallet and the tailor for unknown results.
- The DB's shoulders are the widest of them all, and it's striped. They're not comically wide, though, and should be tolerable. The stripes are a bigger problem; you can only pair the jacket with plain light-coloured trousers as you're doing now. If you're okay with that then you should keep it.
- The shoulders on the other two jackets look fine, but the chest on those jackets is too small for you and the lapels are bowing out. It's a bad look exaggerated by the waist suppression.
- The straight lines of the inside edge of the DB's lapel are really good.
- The second jacket is too short in both length and sleeve.
- You'll never fit the two tweeds, pass them on. You might grow to fit the shoulders of the DB, keep it.
- Any tags on the inside of the DB? What's the lining like?post #25399 of 2751512/22/13 at 5:12pm
Gentlemen, I had a quick three-part question regarding tuxedos and figured here is the place to ask it. I recently bought a tux from Indochino (not my first Indochino product, and if anyone was wondering, I've had great success with their product) and thankfully combined with a small touch from my tailor it fits great.
However, I had a few questions about the tux itself:
1) The collar of the jacket is satin as well. I was under the impression that only the lapel is supposed to be satin, thus differentiating the lapel from the collar. I was wondering if any of you knows whether it doesn't matter or whether it is customary to have only the lapel be satin.2) The peak lapels that I ordered seem to be rounded. Based on what I had seen on other jackets, I ordered peak lapels under the impression that they generally have a rather pointy edge to them. I was wondering if this is just another style of peak lapel or it was made improperly. My tailor seems to think that rounding out the tip of the lapel may be necessary due to the construction of the lapel with satin. If any of you know, I’m quite curious.3) There is no buttonhole on the lapel of the jacket. I’m under the impression that it doesn’t really matter, but I can also imagine many traditionalists feeling like not having the buttonhole means the jacket is sorely lacking.I was curious to see your guys input on these three questions, thanks for the consideration. Happy first post to me.post #25400 of 2751512/22/13 at 8:34pm1. The collar should be self faced, not satin.
2. Just looked, and my dinner jacket has somewhat rounded peaks as well. Really depends on how rounded off they are, ancient whether they look silly.
3. Doesn't matter, though if you want to wear a boutonniere, have your tailor add a functioning button hole with loop on the back of the lapel.post #25401 of 2751512/22/13 at 11:00pm
I recently won an ebay lot of 4 pairs of pants that turned out to be pleated. I actually got my money back (so many stains!), but two of the trousers I think are worth having cleaned and altered.
I don't own any pairs of well fitting pleated trousers, these are a pair of burberrys and RL which look amazing and I'd like them to be the two pairs of pleated pants I keep. They're a little big in the waist so I'm thinking of having them slimmed, but I'm wondering where on my waist should I wear these, i.e. natural or lower, and how they should break.
Any pictures of pleats done correctly would be awesome!
Also, another quickie:
I thrifted a few smaller scarves today thinking that I could use them as pocket squares. How big is too big? I'm trying to figure out where the boundary is for a PS making a pocket poof a bit.
Edited by ridethecliche - 12/22/13 at 11:35pmpost #25402 of 2751512/23/13 at 2:30ampost #25403 of 2751512/23/13 at 4:12ampost #25404 of 2751512/23/13 at 5:35ampost #25405 of 2751512/23/13 at 6:06ampost #25406 of 2751512/23/13 at 8:41amQuote:
Depending on the kind of shoe, there are also pads you can put under the tongue of the shoe to hold them back in place if your issue is forward slide. I'm going to try this with a pair of Frye boots shortly.post #25407 of 2751512/23/13 at 9:18amQuote:
Not to my knowledge, but if it's more than brushing your cheeks, probably will look like crap. Also would drive me absolutely mental all day.post #25408 of 2751512/23/13 at 9:54ampost #25409 of 2751512/23/13 at 10:53am
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Australian Members 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 8 minutes ago
- › Limited Edition Adidas x Mark McNairy 84Lab Hook Shot Lo "McNasty" NWT 10 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 10 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 11 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoo Porn Theard 14 minutes ago
- › Budd Shirts (Piccadilly Arcade)? 14 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 16 minutes ago
- › TRAIN WRECK CHALLENGE - SC/TIE WITH JEANS! 17 minutes ago
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers) by alyssaw