or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1678

post #25156 of 28327
Hi what exactly are the type of trousers/pants that brad pitt is wearing here?
http://www.gossipcop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Jonah-Hill-Brad-Pitt.jpg
post #25157 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalob View Post

Hi what exactly are the type of trousers/pants that brad pitt is wearing here?
http://www.gossipcop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Jonah-Hill-Brad-Pitt.jpg

 

Just looks like a pair of off-white chinos.

post #25158 of 28327

Boy did I make a mistake...

 

I am trying to nail down a decent option for some spring/summer shirts. Ideally I wanted a shirt I can wear untucked, and it not look too sloppy. After a brief discussion with my MTM shirt guy (local), I decided to go with a straight cut (no tail) at a decent length hitting mid zipper on my jeans with an approximate 2 inch vent on the side seams. I admit I didn't think this through very well, and upon arrival I hate the cut. They look very guayabera like, and to make matters worse bc. of the side vents (maybe being too large) the shirt flairs, and this is not doing my profile any favors.

 

The way I see it, either I have the side vents closed to prevent flairing, and/or have a modest tail cut.

 

Would love to hear any and all thoughts, as they sit now a total waste of money and time :uhoh: 

post #25159 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbob2013 View Post

Boy did I make a mistake...

I am trying to nail down a decent option for some spring/summer shirts. Ideally I wanted a shirt I can wear untucked, and it not look too sloppy. After a brief discussion with my MTM shirt guy (local), I decided to go with a straight cut (no tail) at a decent length hitting mid zipper on my jeans with an approximate 2 inch vent on the side seams. I admit I didn't think this through very well, and upon arrival I hate the cut. They look very guayabera like, and to make matters worse bc. of the side vents (maybe being too large) the shirt flairs, and this is not doing my profile any favors.

The way I see it, either I have the side vents closed to prevent flairing, and/or have a modest tail cut.

Would love to hear any and all thoughts, as they sit now a total waste of money and time uhoh.gif  

Tuck your shirt in.
post #25160 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post


Tuck your shirt in.

Yes, that is an obvious solution, but I want to wear them untucked.

post #25161 of 28327

Ok, so messing around with pairing my favourite navy blazer (it's actually somewhere between a blazer and a sport coat - it has shoulder pleats, a little pocket on the back, I got it cut a little longer in the sleeve and it will button closed at the top for cycling... all important to me since I pretty much cycle everywhere) and pairing it with jeans and a tie. I've worn it out with jeans before and received several compliments, but never with a tie.

 

I went with two knit ties: a sort of mottled grey/deep burgundy and a plain black. I'm not sure which I prefer, if either. The red is a nicer tie, regardless. Also played with loosening the tie and unbuttoning the top button, but it never looks right to me - sloppy rather than casual.

 

Thoughts?

 

 

 

Bonus with scarf/gloves because man, it's cold.

 

 

Sorry for the rubbish iPhone photos...

post #25162 of 28327
^looks fine to me, but what do I know...

Anyway, my noob question

I recently got my first spread collar shirt from Kamakura.



I don't usually button my shirt all the way up (I leave 2 or 3 unbuttoned). And this leaves the collar looking funny. I was wondering is there a way to fix this eg Ironing the collar down or getting the tailor to add buttons so that it looks like a OCBD?
post #25163 of 28327

Answer determined.


Edited by David23 - 12/13/13 at 7:03am
post #25164 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

 

Thanks! Sadly, I don't have a mid grey vest and the trousers on my navy suit are at the tailors till next week.

I'll try out the ensemble tonight and see how it looks. The event is black tie optional, but I think a black bow tie would look rather out of place with the fit and will either wear a patterned black bow tie or a red paisley bow tie.


I'm excited!


If it's black tie optional, wear a plain dark suit, white shirt, shiny silk long tie, and black shoes. I wouldn't wear a bowtie for black tie optional -- it would look like you were trying to fit in with the people in tuxes when you aren't.

post #25165 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadias View Post
 

Ok, so messing around with pairing my favourite navy blazer (it's actually somewhere between a blazer and a sport coat - it has shoulder pleats, a little pocket on the back, I got it cut a little longer in the sleeve and it will button closed at the top for cycling... all important to me since I pretty much cycle everywhere) and pairing it with jeans and a tie. I've worn it out with jeans before and received several compliments, but never with a tie.

This is a mistake. It makes it outerwear instead of tailoring. Wear longer gloves if you don't want to show shirt cuff while cycling, or throw a parka on over your jacket. It looks bad when you're not on the bike.

 

Coat with jeans is okay. Tie with jeans is trying too hard, and a bit incongruous. Never, ever do the "my tie is loose and my top button is unbuttoned thing." It's unbelievably affected to go out of the house like that. Loosening your tie and undoing a top button if you have to do something a bit physical and don't want to break a sweat is A-OK.

post #25166 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 


If it's black tie optional, wear a plain dark suit, white shirt, shiny silk long tie, and black shoes. I wouldn't wear a bowtie for black tie optional -- it would look like you were trying to fit in with the people in tuxes when you aren't.

 

It's a holiday party. I'm guessing that maybe 5% of the men will be wearing tuxes.

post #25167 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by click here View Post

^looks fine to me, but what do I know...

Anyway, my noob question

I recently got my first spread collar shirt from Kamakura.



I don't usually button my shirt all the way up (I leave 2 or 3 unbuttoned). And this leaves the collar looking funny. I was wondering is there a way to fix this eg Ironing the collar down or getting the tailor to add buttons so that it looks like a OCBD?


Unbutton 2 in Europe, in the US.

post #25168 of 28327
Hi guys, a friend of mine who works at Dunhill gave me a Dunhill suit from the previous season.

Interestingly, when I checked the tags it was a Caruso tag that was Made in Japan. Does anyone have any information about made in Japan Caruso?
post #25169 of 28327

Please don't add buttons to that shirt/collar. If you wanted an OBCD, you should have bought one.

post #25170 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

 

It's a holiday party. I'm guessing that maybe 5% of the men will be wearing tuxes.


Right, but wearing a bowtie with a suit in that context looks like you're trying to fake a tux.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here