Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Today at 9:17 am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN Hall of Fame: pre-2010 Last post on 7/27/14 at 11:09am in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1604post #24046 of 2887610/19/13 at 1:05pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #24047 of 2887610/19/13 at 1:11pmQuote:
So a nice merino could be had for the same price as low grade cashmere?
Besides price as a hint, how do you tell if the cashmere is good? Just by how it feels generally?Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into those as well.
Edited by Lokesh - 10/19/13 at 1:48pmpost #24048 of 2887610/19/13 at 1:46pmpost #24049 of 2887610/19/13 at 3:28pmQuote:
They'll use the same leathers and put the same workmanship and finishing, of course. The caveat is, if/when the elastic wears out, I've heard EG and JL will not replace it. Good cobblers such as B. Nelson, however, can fab a replacement.post #24050 of 2887610/19/13 at 4:01pmQuote:Often at a lower price than low grade cashmere.Quote:You start by googling "how to judge cashmere," clicking on the links to those of the results which seem most relevant to your question, and reading.Besides price as a hint, how do you tell if the cashmere is good? Just by how it feels generally?post #24051 of 2887610/19/13 at 5:40pm
Ok that's interesting to hear. I've never bought scarves before, so I don't know anything about what materials to look for. All I know is cashmere is supposed to be the better materials for a scarfQuote:
But fair enough haha. I went into Uniqlo today and saw that they had some cashmere scarves for $40. From what I've heard Uniqlo quality is fairly good, and I would assume their cashmere is fairly good too. Felt soft enough. Wonder if those can be beat for the price.post #24052 of 2887610/20/13 at 12:15am
Looking at testing out a new local tailor by commissioning a sports coat. They're really big on pushing Dormeuil.
I want a basic casual unconstructed summer coat to survive hot dry Australian summers. Which of the following fabrics would be best for keeping cool and looking casual (i'm very inexperienced so I don't trust myself just checking the swatches) or would none of them be appropriate?:
50% linen 50% silk
I also saw another that was linen/silk/cashmere but it looked pretty shiny (surprisingly much more so than the 50/50 silk ).
They're all Dormeuil from the Naturals book and they're charging $450-500. Is this good? It's significantly cheaper than other quotes Ive recived from other (more reputable) tailors.post #24053 of 2887610/20/13 at 12:20ampost #24054 of 2887610/20/13 at 11:03amQuote:
From what I have read, softness is not a good way to judge cashmere. Not sure about Uniqlo cashmere quality being fairly good. I think, in this respect, you get what you pay for.post #24055 of 2887610/20/13 at 6:20pmHey guys! On one of my jackets, the shoulder padding seems to be leaking through the outer fabric. Like, on the upper sleeve, I'll notice clusters of tiny white fibers collecting right outside where the padding would be. Has this happened to anyone else? This is the first time I've seen anything like this.post #24056 of 2887610/20/13 at 8:16pmQuote:
I read something about stretching the fabric a bit and seeing how it snaps back or something. I don't know. Maybe I should stick to a merino one.post #24057 of 2887610/21/13 at 2:16amQuote:Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
Hey guys! On one of my jackets, the shoulder padding seems to be leaking through the outer fabric. Like, on the upper sleeve, I'll notice clusters of tiny white fibers collecting right outside where the padding would be. Has this happened to anyone else? This is the first time I've seen anything like this.
Sounds like corners have been cut. Usually the shoulder pad , ie the polyester wadding is sewn into some sort of woven cover in that prevents the fluffy stuff from escaping ... trouble is if you pull one of the fibres that penetrates they are very long filaments and don't just pull out. If the problem gets worse you might have to get a tailor unpick and replace or cover the padding .post #24058 of 2887610/21/13 at 5:46ampost #24059 of 2887610/21/13 at 6:55ampost #24060 of 2887610/21/13 at 6:57am
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 1 minute ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 3 minutes ago
- › ***4th Annual SF 2014-2015 YAHOO! FANTASY B-BALL FANTASY LEAGUES*** 8 minutes ago
- › The Apple Discussion Thread 9 minutes ago
- › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 11 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...