Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Yesterday at 11:49 pm in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- shirts,sweaters,jackets,suits,coats,pants and shoes Last post on 4/7/11 at 5:56pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1604post #24046 of 2835210/19/13 at 1:05pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #24047 of 2835210/19/13 at 1:11pmQuote:
So a nice merino could be had for the same price as low grade cashmere?
Besides price as a hint, how do you tell if the cashmere is good? Just by how it feels generally?Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into those as well.
Edited by Lokesh - 10/19/13 at 1:48pmpost #24048 of 2835210/19/13 at 1:46pmpost #24049 of 2835210/19/13 at 3:28pmQuote:
They'll use the same leathers and put the same workmanship and finishing, of course. The caveat is, if/when the elastic wears out, I've heard EG and JL will not replace it. Good cobblers such as B. Nelson, however, can fab a replacement.post #24050 of 2835210/19/13 at 4:01pmQuote:Often at a lower price than low grade cashmere.Quote:You start by googling "how to judge cashmere," clicking on the links to those of the results which seem most relevant to your question, and reading.Besides price as a hint, how do you tell if the cashmere is good? Just by how it feels generally?post #24051 of 2835210/19/13 at 5:40pm
Ok that's interesting to hear. I've never bought scarves before, so I don't know anything about what materials to look for. All I know is cashmere is supposed to be the better materials for a scarfQuote:
But fair enough haha. I went into Uniqlo today and saw that they had some cashmere scarves for $40. From what I've heard Uniqlo quality is fairly good, and I would assume their cashmere is fairly good too. Felt soft enough. Wonder if those can be beat for the price.post #24052 of 2835210/20/13 at 12:15am
Looking at testing out a new local tailor by commissioning a sports coat. They're really big on pushing Dormeuil.
I want a basic casual unconstructed summer coat to survive hot dry Australian summers. Which of the following fabrics would be best for keeping cool and looking casual (i'm very inexperienced so I don't trust myself just checking the swatches) or would none of them be appropriate?:
50% linen 50% silk
I also saw another that was linen/silk/cashmere but it looked pretty shiny (surprisingly much more so than the 50/50 silk ).
They're all Dormeuil from the Naturals book and they're charging $450-500. Is this good? It's significantly cheaper than other quotes Ive recived from other (more reputable) tailors.post #24053 of 2835210/20/13 at 12:20ampost #24054 of 2835210/20/13 at 11:03amQuote:
From what I have read, softness is not a good way to judge cashmere. Not sure about Uniqlo cashmere quality being fairly good. I think, in this respect, you get what you pay for.post #24055 of 2835210/20/13 at 6:20pmHey guys! On one of my jackets, the shoulder padding seems to be leaking through the outer fabric. Like, on the upper sleeve, I'll notice clusters of tiny white fibers collecting right outside where the padding would be. Has this happened to anyone else? This is the first time I've seen anything like this.post #24056 of 2835210/20/13 at 8:16pmQuote:
I read something about stretching the fabric a bit and seeing how it snaps back or something. I don't know. Maybe I should stick to a merino one.post #24057 of 2835210/21/13 at 2:16amQuote:Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
Hey guys! On one of my jackets, the shoulder padding seems to be leaking through the outer fabric. Like, on the upper sleeve, I'll notice clusters of tiny white fibers collecting right outside where the padding would be. Has this happened to anyone else? This is the first time I've seen anything like this.
Sounds like corners have been cut. Usually the shoulder pad , ie the polyester wadding is sewn into some sort of woven cover in that prevents the fluffy stuff from escaping ... trouble is if you pull one of the fibres that penetrates they are very long filaments and don't just pull out. If the problem gets worse you might have to get a tailor unpick and replace or cover the padding .post #24058 of 2835210/21/13 at 5:46ampost #24059 of 2835210/21/13 at 6:55ampost #24060 of 2835210/21/13 at 6:57am
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Australian Members 32 seconds ago
- › Management Consulting Discussion 44 seconds ago
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 58 seconds ago
- › Shoes and Clothing in Alicante? 1 minute ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 4 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)