or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1596

post #23926 of 28355
I like to wear either bright colored socks or socks with a great pattern. When possible I avoid matching to my suit and much prefer to match to my tie and/or pocket square. The safe route is the pants.

My suit reminds me I am working, my socks remind me that work can be fun.
post #23927 of 28355
As of a couple of months ago I moved to Florida and with the move purchased 5 new suits including a khaki two button single breasted suit.

My question. Can I wear a khaki suit year round in Florida?

Second question: I also purchased a pair of walnut and bone two toned Broadstreet wingtips made by Allen Edmonds. Does the Labor Day rule apply to Florida...what about the Caribbean and Puerto Rico?
post #23928 of 28355
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLION View Post

I like to wear either bright colored socks or socks with a great pattern. When possible I avoid matching to my suit and much prefer to match to my tie and/or pocket square. The safe route is the pants.

My suit reminds me I am working, my socks remind me that work can be fun.
I regularly wear over-the-calf argyle socks. Yes, even with suits.

How does the saying go? "A businessman matches his socks to his trousers. A gentleman matches his socks to his mood."
post #23929 of 28355
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLION View Post

Does the Labor Day rule apply to Florida...what about the Caribbean and Puerto Rico?
The Labor Day rule is merely a guideline, which is intended to be followed with some situational flexibility.

And Florida and the Caribbean, in the 21st century, are sufficiently different from the rule's 19th century New England origins, that you could probably get away with a great deal of flexibility.

Take all the relevant factors into consideration, then decide for yourself. And if you decide to deviate from the Labor Day rule, do so confidently. Few things look worse than a man who is uncomfortable with what he's wearing. Who is unsure as to whether he's dressed appropriately. Who is silently second guessing his sartorial choices. Conversely, few things will make you look better in your clothes than will confidence and self-assurance that you look right.

If you simply do not have it in you to decide for yourself, then identify a few men whose taste and judgement you respect, and see what they wear when they're in situations similar to those in which you find yourself. And taking into account certain personal differences between you and them (differences in age, build, etc.), copy them. Well, not slavishly, but at least let what they wear serve as your guide with regard to what's appropriate for you to wear, and when, and how.
post #23930 of 28355
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post

The Labor Day rule is merely a guideline, which is intended to be followed with some situational flexibility.

And Florida and the Caribbean, in the 21st century, are sufficiently different from the rule's 19th century New England origins, that you could probably get away with a great deal of flexibility.

Take all the relevant factors into consideration, then decide for yourself. And if you decide to deviate from the Labor Day rule, do so confidently. Few things look worse than a man who is uncomfortable with what he's wearing. Who is unsure as to whether he's dressed appropriately. Who is silently second guessing his sartorial choices. Conversely, few things will make you look better in your clothes than will confidence and self-assurance that you look right.

If you simply do not have it in you to decide for yourself, then identify a few men whose taste and judgement you respect, and see what they wear when they're in situations similar to those in which you find yourself. And taking into account certain personal differences between you and them (differences in age, build, etc.), copy them. Well, not slavishly, but at least let what they wear serve as your guide with regard to what's appropriate for you to wear, and when, and how.

Confidence has never been a problem, any man who can wear a kilt proudly can just about wear anything with confidence.

Just making sure was working within acceptable boundaries. I may make my own rule and cap the clothing to the temperature...anything about 75F will be acceptable...then again maybe 80F.
post #23931 of 28355
I should mention I am fighting a new addiction. My old standard addiction was purchasing golf antiquities like a club owned by Bobby Jones, but since our move to Florida I have been going a little over the top on my wardrobe. It started buying 5 suits, have since added 4 new pairs of dress shoes including some stunning DiBiancos arriving in the next two weeks. I have probably purchased 12 new dress shirts and 10 new ties and 5 pocket squares and 12 new pairs of socks.

I think its time to pump the breaks but then again I think I want a new suit. Addiction?
post #23932 of 28355

Which brands make jackets and suits without working cuffs?

post #23933 of 28355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

Which brands make jackets and suits without working cuffs?
The vast majority of brands do not feature working cuffs on their suits and jackets. It would be impractical to list them all.
post #23934 of 28355

 

Is it ok to wear this collar without a tie and with a jacket? It's a spread collar correct?

 

Thanks!

post #23935 of 28355

I'm looking to have a pair of Nantucket Reds hemmed. I am a bit torn between having them hemmed with no cuffs and a bit higher than no break in order to wear with boat shoes or bucks, or having them hemmed with a slight break in case I wanted to wear them with socks and a bit dressier shoe while still retaining the option to cuff them once at times when I want to wear them with boat shoes/loafers/bucks.

 

I'm in no hurry to decide since I have until Memorial Day or thereabouts to decide.

 

Thoughts?

 

J

post #23936 of 28355
Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post

Thoughts?
"...and that's the story of why The Man from Long Island always bought his Nantucket Reds two at a time, so he could have half of them hemmed, and the other half cuffed." smile.gif

Seriously, Nantucket Reds have always struck me as inherently casual pants. And best worn after they've had at least several years to fade and gain character and lose that fresh from Murray's Toggery look. They're supposed to be worn while mucking about on boats, or repainting the trim on the summer house, or messy activities like that. Sure, you might wear them to the club, since as both red pants and timeless prep icon, how could they not be appropriate in such places? But they're not dress wear in any real sense of the word.

Now, while I'm a fan of cuffs, and have them on most of my pants, I do draw the line at my most casual pants. I think cuffed jeans look stupid. I'm sure someone out there wears cuffed sweat pants when working out at the gym, but I'm telling you they make him look like a tool. And don't even get me started on cuffed shorts, okay?

So, as casual, summertime pants, I'd suggest you not cuff them. Besides, you know you're gonna wear them with Topsiders, 90% of the time. And on those infrequent occasions when you wear them with "real" shoes, like a pair of loafers, well, it's actually kind of good that they'll be a little short. The look is kind of venerable, in a "this is how we wore them at St. Grottlesex, back in 1973" sort of way. (And there are those who might suggest that if it doesn't strike you that way, then maybe you're not the sort of fellow who should be wearing Nantucket Reds.)

Then again, I suppose you could buy two pairs, and get one pair hemmed and wear the heck out of that pair every summer for the next decade or so. And get the other pair cuffed, and take good care of that pair, and wear it with real shoes when going to nice places. But I've never gotten a pair of Reds cuffed, and I suspect I never will.
post #23937 of 28355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

I'm going to attend a student union network event, and I have a chance to meet my potential employer. And the dress code is business attire

I'd wear grey trousers with the blazer. As for the tie, buy the nicest navy tie you can afford. Why wear crap when you can wear quality?
post #23938 of 28355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post


I'd wear grey trousers with the blazer. As for the tie, buy the nicest navy tie you can afford. Why wear crap when you can wear quality?


Or just wear CBD. You don't have to dress down just because you are a student imo.

post #23939 of 28355
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


The vast majority of brands do not feature working cuffs on their suits and jackets. It would be impractical to list them all.

I thought the vast majority of brands DO feature working cuffs, but guess I was wrong. I've looked at Boglioli, LBM 1911, Suitsupply, Corneliani etc. and they have working cuffs on their jackets. 

post #23940 of 28355
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post

"...and that's the story of why The Man from Long Island always bought his Nantucket Reds two at a time, so he could have half of them hemmed, and the other half cuffed." smile.gif

Seriously, Nantucket Reds have always struck me as inherently casual pants. And best worn after they've had at least several years to fade and gain character and lose that fresh from Murray's Toggery look. They're supposed to be worn while mucking about on boats, or repainting the trim on the summer house, or messy activities like that. Sure, you might wear them to the club, since as both red pants and timeless prep icon, how could they not be appropriate in such places? But they're not dress wear in any real sense of the word.

Now, while I'm a fan of cuffs, and have them on most of my pants, I do draw the line at my most casual pants. I think cuffed jeans look stupid. I'm sure someone out there wears cuffed sweat pants when working out at the gym, but I'm telling you they make him look like a tool. And don't even get me started on cuffed shorts, okay?

So, as casual, summertime pants, I'd suggest you not cuff them. Besides, you know you're gonna wear them with Topsiders, 90% of the time. And on those infrequent occasions when you wear them with "real" shoes, like a pair of loafers, well, it's actually kind of good that they'll be a little short. The look is kind of venerable, in a "this is how we wore them at St. Grottlesex, back in 1973" sort of way. (And there are those who might suggest that if it doesn't strike you that way, then maybe you're not the sort of fellow who should be wearing Nantucket Reds.)

Then again, I suppose you could buy two pairs, and get one pair hemmed and wear the heck out of that pair every summer for the next decade or so. And get the other pair cuffed, and take good care of that pair, and wear it with real shoes when going to nice places. But I've never gotten a pair of Reds cuffed, and I suspect I never will.

Makes perfect sense to me, plus I already have one pair of normal red pants, and two pink pair.

Thanks much.

About this length? When I wear these with topsiders or loafers they just graze the top of them, and have the slightest of breaks with other shoes.



J
Edited by J011yroger - 10/14/13 at 4:26am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here