or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1553

post #23281 of 28719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgill79 View Post

Feels on moderntailor [dot] com, guys?

 

I like what I've gotten from them.

 

Good fabrics, average workmanship (reflects the price), and a good fit - but essentially the fit comes down to how good you are with a measuring tape.

 

There are a lot of reviews floating around, but more reviews (contemporaneous ones) never hurt! I'll be doing one next week on my blog - http://greedanddisgust.blogspot.com.au/ - once I receive my latest (second) shipment from moderntailor.

post #23282 of 28719
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhill View Post

 

I like what I've gotten from them.

 

Good fabrics, average workmanship (reflects the price), and a good fit - but essentially the fit comes down to how good you are with a measuring tape.

 

There are a lot of reviews floating around, but more reviews (contemporaneous ones) never hurt! I'll be doing one next week on my blog - http://greedanddisgust.blogspot.com.au/ - once I receive my latest (second) shipment from moderntailor.

Thank you so much, Kayhill.

post #23283 of 28719

Another question today:

 

When I was looking at online tailors, I found one that included a feature on their shirts, something to do with the actual construction of the shirt, that prevented it form coming untucked when you raised your arms. This is a constant problem I have with RTW shirts. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've not been able to find it again.

 

Thanks!

post #23284 of 28719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgill79 View Post

When I was looking at online tailors, I found one that included a feature on their shirts, something to do with the actual construction of the shirt, that prevented it form coming untucked when you raised your arms.

Higher armholes and a longer overal shirt length?
post #23285 of 28719
How expensive / feasible is it to raise the arm holes on a dress shirt?
post #23286 of 28719

Smart SF members say don't pay retail on brand name suits and go bespoke. That being said, what's the value retention of these bespoke suits? Can they be sold for 70% of its original price? I think you'd be lucky to get 50% on a RLBL suit. That is for a plain solid navy blue that retails for $1,600, you'd be lucky to get $800 for it. I wonder how bespoke suits sell since they're truly customized to your body.

post #23287 of 28719
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudals1281 View Post

Smart SF members say don't pay retail on brand name suits and go bespoke. That being said, what's the value retention of these bespoke suits? Can they be sold for 70% of its original price? I think you'd be lucky to get 50% on a RLBL suit. That is for a plain solid navy blue that retails for $1,600, you'd be lucky to get $800 for it. I wonder how bespoke suits sell since they're truly customized to your body.
Why does anyone care about suit resale value? It just seems strange to me. My thoughts when buying a suit are how it fits and what I think of the color/pattern. I am never thinking about resale value. Chances are, if resale value is a top consideration when buying a suit, you are doing something wrong.
post #23288 of 28719
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Why does anyone care about suit resale value? It just seems strange to me. My thoughts when buying a suit are how it fits and what I think of the color/pattern. I am never thinking about resale value. Chances are, if resale value is a top consideration when buying a suit, you are doing something wrong.
Ah~!!! Very true indeed. I have never purchased anything with the intention of selling it. The question stemmed from my experience from the forum where whenever I would say I am buying at full retail everyone says why go with rtw when you can buy bespoke for less. Luckily I have a brand that fits me perfectly and dont want to go thru the bespoke process. I just want my suit now.
post #23289 of 28719
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhues View Post

How expensive / feasible is it to raise the arm holes on a dress shirt?

My tailor does it with all my OTR shirts. Quick and easy job. Slims the torso and upper sleeve at the same time.
post #23290 of 28719
i'm trying to remove a small, blue ballpoint ink stain out of a tan linen blazer....how in the world can this be done? my mom says oxiclean stain defender works wonders...i'm assuming that's not going to work for ink and is possibly bad for the blazer.
post #23291 of 28719

Linen is pretty hardy, but the first/safest course of action would be trying to lift it with rubbing alcohol. Soak the stain, leave it for a minute, then "blot" with paper towel.

post #23292 of 28719
Quote:
Originally Posted by doopdoop View Post

i'm trying to remove a small, blue ballpoint ink stain out of a tan linen blazer...
Some Amodex Ink & Stain Remover might do the trick. A bottle cost me about $6 at last summer's DC Fountain Pen Supershow, and I know it's available from a fair number of both b&m and online sources. While I've only used it on fountain pen ink stains (it worked well), I understand it's also effective on other types of ink - ball point, gel pen, Sharpie pen, etc.
post #23293 of 28719

Quick question on a tie for a wedding: I'm wearing a navy suit, white shirt, black shoes. Have never been to a wedding and have no experience in wearing a suit. I've read the posts about "actual" wedding ties such as shepherd's check, glen plaid, macclesfields etc. I couldn't find almost any in London (most links here are to sam hober and kent wang which aren't available short-notice here). I've browsed around a bit and found the following ties that I liked, especially the first two - opinions on whether they're appropriate/good would be appreciated!

 
 
 
 
 
Thanks!
 
M
post #23294 of 28719

Hey all,

 

Quick question:

 

Would these brown Allen Edmonds go with a darker charcoal suit?

 

Thanks so much!

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF8808_1_40000000001_-1
 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTRmNjc4MmQ3YTg0NzI0NjMwNTE2ODU0MGM5YWRmNjA1MWU0MTEwMjI4YzA3fHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT03LzE1LzEzIDg6MjMgQU0=

 

I've been asking around and I've gotten very mixed reviews. The suit is a darker charcoal. 


Edited by Bartleby Trout - 8/26/13 at 12:09pm
post #23295 of 28719
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark555 View Post

Quick question on a tie for a wedding: I'm wearing a navy suit, white shirt, black shoes. Have never been to a wedding and have no experience in wearing a suit. I've read the posts about "actual" wedding ties such as shepherd's check, glen plaid, macclesfields etc. I couldn't find almost any in London (most links here are to sam hober and kent wang which aren't available short-notice here). I've browsed around a bit and found the following ties that I liked, especially the first two - opinions on whether they're appropriate/good would be appreciated!

 
 
 
 
 
Thanks!
 
M
 
 

 

Hey Mark,

 

After looking through various options, I would have to say that the Drake tie looks best, in terms of both quality and dimensions.  The other options are much thinner ties, and you want to avoid the hipster look on a friend's wedding day.  The Drake tie is approx. 8 cm which is about 3 1/4 inches, right in line with what is trending these days.  I would, however, go for more of a reddish brown / burgundy look given that autumn / fall season is approaching, or if you really want some pop on your outfit, go for a lilac (even though this is best for summer wear).  I would avoid navy  blues and grey's as they don't  add much fun to the outfit given that you're wearing a navy blue suit. 

 

Please feel free to read an article on my blog and mixing and matching ties to your suits and shirts at : http://suitupdressup.com/2013/04/02/cravats-untied/

 

Hope this helps!  Let me know if you have any questions!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here