or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1547

post #23191 of 28670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Elastic strap? What kind of shoes are you looking at that have an elastic strap? uhoh.gif
I know that some double monks like the Allen Edmonds Neumora and Mora have elastic straps. I thought some higher end brands used it too.

My EG Oundles do also.
post #23192 of 28670
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhill View Post

 

As in the coat (or overcoat)? Or are you looking for advice on what type of coat it is?

 

For me, these days they're just generically referred to as coats. You might want to search for a 'single breasted' coat if that's the style you're looking for - the coat in the picture is single breasted.


Thank you, Kayhill. That's what I needed. "Overcoat".

post #23193 of 28670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby Trout View Post

My.Suit or Suitsupply is what I'm hearing. Which one would you guys suggest for a custom suit in Manhattan?


I'm nowhere near the area, but I believe Michael Andrews Bespoke is in that range.

post #23194 of 28670

I've been really following a lot of forums regarding suits and style, but now I think I made a bad decision.  I am 23 years old with a banker position, so I need suits on a daily basis.  People say that Jos. Bank suits don't last and have a VERY boxy look.  I am 6'0, 190 lbs with an athletic build and broad shoulders.  In my opinion, my shoulders look extremely big with the new suits I just purchased, but my mom and gf said I am just paranoid.

 

I got the deal where it is 70% off and if you buy 3, you get 1 for free.  I thought that was a great deal and since I need a suit 5 days out of the week, and 4 suits seem really appealing.  But like with every suit I need it altered and can imagine each suit costing around 110 to 150 in alterations.  I can stick a lot more than a fist in my jacket.

 

I just want to know my options.  I just spent 900 dollars on 4 suits but I really don't like the boxy look and can still return them since i didn't do any alterations to them.  I just bought it today and am regretting my decision.  I have 1 suit in my closet from high school that I can still wear for now because I start the job tomorrow, but I would like opinions on the route to go.

post #23195 of 28670
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwang1219 View Post

I just want to know my options.  I just spent 900 dollars on 4 suits but I really don't like the boxy look and can still return them since i didn't do any alterations to them.  I just bought it today and am regretting my decision.  I have 1 suit in my closet from high school that I can still wear for now because I start the job tomorrow, but I would like opinions on the route to go.

If it were me, I would return my 4 JAB suits, take my $900 and get 2 Suitsupply suits or wait for a good Brooks Brothers sale and get a few 1818 suits. If you get a solid navy and a solid charcoal that will tide you over until you can afford more variety.
post #23196 of 28670

i was looking at suitsupply's website and they don't offer all black suits and i need black suits working at chase.

post #23197 of 28670
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwang1219 View Post

i was looking at suitsupply's website and they don't offer all black suits and i need black suits working at chase.

Do they explicitly say black? Because in most environments, navy and charcoal are more appropriate.

If you're indeed only wearing black, you don't need 5 suits. You need 2. You don't have to clean wool nearly as often as you have to clean cotton. It has some nice properties, that I won't go into now, that make it unnecessary. Barring spills or really dramatic sweat incidents, you may never need to clean them. Some moderate rotation does help preserve them, hence having two.

I would go to JAB looking for an exchange first. They have tailored and slim cuts. Still pretty boxy compared to most, but one of them may suit you better. If you can get a fit, JAB actually does offer pretty decent quality for the money. The issue with them is that they size things to fit clueless fat people who think they're still the same size they wore in high school and don't want to admit to themselves that they've ballooned. Failing that, 2 suit supply or Brooks Brothers suits, especially if you're only going to be wearing one color.
post #23198 of 28670

unfortunately they strictly say black.  i got the slim cut suits with JAB and its still pretty boxy.  That is why i would like to explore my options. 

post #23199 of 28670
1. If you already regret your purchases, return them asap. No matter what anyone else says, if you dont feel comfortable in your clothes, you will never confidently wear them.
2. You dont need 4 black suits, two are enough.
3. The only black suits policy might be the dumbest thing ever, unless you are a chauffeur (no offense if so, then it would make sense).
post #23200 of 28670
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwang1219 View Post

unfortunately they strictly say black.  i got the slim cut suits with JAB and its still pretty boxy.  That is why i would like to explore my options. 

Bringing suits to a tailor is not optional. It's a must. Get them tailored. The tailor will do the finishing touches such as bringing the jacket in at the waist, which will cure the boxy look. Both the sleeves and trousers will also need to be slimmed and shortened.

Black in the day time is just wrong. Period. Seriously, unless you're at a funeral. Get very dark charcoal grey and navy blue. I can't believe your company forbids its employees from wearing navy blue suits.
post #23201 of 28670
Guess it's true...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xGeFmYuifxsJ:betweenmypeers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/chase_dressguidelines.doc+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

"Professional Apparel – Branch Managers, Personal Bankers, Business Bankers, Loan Officers

c. Men and Women must wear a black dress jacket, blazer, or suit. Chase Brand approved sweaters (cardigan and V-neck sweaters) may be worn in place of a jacket."
post #23202 of 28670
Don't worry, in lieu of a suit, he can wear a sweater facepalm.gif

That dress code is just insane.
post #23203 of 28670
What length tie would someone who is around 6'4" 270-300 lbs need? (It's a gift, so I don't want to ask for neck size.)
post #23204 of 28670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

What length tie would someone who is around 6'4" 270-300 lbs need? (It's a gift, so I don't want to ask for neck size.)
Probably an extra-long tie. One which is at least 63", as opposed to a regular length tie which is more like 58". (These lengths can vary a little from manufacturer to manufacturer.) Possibly even an extra-extra-long tie, of more than 67", but a mere extra-long, which is most often around 63", would probably suffice.

And lest anyone argue the point, citing someone they know who is 6'5" tall, and who weighs 310 lbs., but who wears a regular length tie because his height and weight is mostly in his arms and legs... well, exceptions (and freakish builds) exist. But generally, at 6'4" and close to 300 lbs., a regular length tie will be shorter than desired. And that's just the reality of it.

It can be harder to find a nice extra-long tie, than to find a nice regular length tie, but it's really not all that difficult. My tie rack is full of nice extra-long ties, proving that it can definitely be done. Finding extra-extra-longs is considerably more difficult, particularly if one doesn't really care to shop the Big & Tall men's stores. Although I'm pretty sure Hober (among others) will make your tie just as long as you like.

I'm typically not a real fan of giving clothing as gifts - and neckties count. Especially if it's not to someone you know really, really well (like, a parent/child, a spouse, or a sibling). Since you don't know the fellow's neck size, I'm guessing he's not your parent or child, your spouse, or your sibling, since in any of these cases finding out his neck size would be pretty easy. And I'm even less of a fan of giving unusually large clothing as a gift. It's just got too much potential to go badly. So please reconsider your proposed gift. (Although it could be worse, I suppose. The recipient could work at Chase.)
post #23205 of 28670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post

I'm typically not a real fan of giving clothing as gifts - and neckties count. Especially if it's not to someone you know really, really well (like, a parent/child, a spouse, or a sibling). Since you don't know the fellow's neck size, I'm guessing he's not your parent or child, your spouse, or your sibling, since in any of these cases finding out his neck size would be pretty easy. And I'm even less of a fan of giving unusually large clothing as a gift. It's just got too much potential to go badly. So please reconsider your proposed gift. (Although it could be worse, I suppose. The recipient could work at Chase.)

Thanks for the advice. It's for a wedding/groomsman. I'd rather get him something that looks good on him instead of getting the same ties for everyone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here