I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but here goes. I am going to buy a leather hooded bomber jacket, and I wanted to know if I should go with pitch black or dark chocolate brown. I am 6 foot 2 and fair skinned with dark brown hair and grey-blue eyes (no idea if that changes anything). Which colour should I go with? Thanks!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Yesterday at 11:08 am in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- shirts,sweaters,jackets,suits,coats,pants and shoes Last post on 4/7/11 at 5:56pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1543post #23131 of 283278/11/13 at 12:54pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #23132 of 283278/11/13 at 1:16pmQuote:There's no substitute for trying them on and seeing for yourself which look you prefer. (And bomber jackets are sufficiently popular that you can almost certainly find a black one and a brown one to try on. Even if they're not identical to the one you're thinking of buying, they'll at least give you some idea.)Which colour should I go with?
That having been said, I prefer brown leather to black, for myself. I'm a big guy, and that - perhaps combined with some factor(s) having to do with my facial features or coloration or whatever - can sometimes make me look somewhere between intimidating and thuggish in a black leather jacket. This is not a look to which I aspire. It's not a significant problem with brown leather, however.
Maybe this is a relevant consideration for you. Maybe it isn't. But I thought I'd mention it.
BTW, I bought an Orient Bambino wristwatch, about an hour ago. It's got a black dial. It doesn't make my over-sized wrists look thuggish.post #23133 of 283278/11/13 at 1:25pmpost #23134 of 283278/12/13 at 12:48am
Thanks for the quick reply. I too see an intimidating look as something to avoid haha. I live in Virginia, but was up visiting family in DC, and found myself in a thrift shop esq store. They had a fairly impressive (and cheap compared to what I'd pay at a place like bloomingdales) array of leather jackets for men, and they have two leather hoodies like the ones I just mentioned. I love them both, but, as a college kid, have a budget. They look extremely similar to this Vince leather hoodie:post #23135 of 283278/12/13 at 11:44am
My story is this:I bought this suit off ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ermenegildo-Zegna-Suit-/231024939368?ViewItem=&item=231024939368&nma=true&si=xfrB8NS8CGKRtuCfKZiJzykh2TI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 and because I wasnt very informed about the different styles in cut zegna uses, I found out that Fit Roma is a boxier more traditional cut, which is the opposite of what Im looking for, but taking into consideration that the suit is my size EU 48 Im thinking whether its worth taking it to a tailor and adjusting the chest from 21 to something smaller like 20 or 19 and also the waist.
Also , I would like your honest oppinion on whether or not I payed to much for a suit in this condition.
post #23136 of 283278/12/13 at 12:02pmpost #23137 of 283278/12/13 at 12:05pmpost #23138 of 283278/12/13 at 12:08pmpost #23139 of 283278/12/13 at 12:46pmQuote:
Well the first will make you look like a gigolo at best, so it's the second by default. Not that a blue and orange paisley tie is a particularly good look, either.post #23140 of 283278/12/13 at 7:21pmpost #23141 of 283278/12/13 at 11:55pmpost #23142 of 283278/13/13 at 1:48ampost #23143 of 283278/13/13 at 2:01amQuote:Originally Posted by howyadoin
I've been going shopping for winter and I found this nice leather jacket. I'm about 5'7 and I went and got a size small. I was wondering if the fit was too big? Everything's fine but the sleeves seem too long or is it supposed to be like that? Should I go down to extra small? Thank you!
How you doin? Sorry, couldn't resist.
The sleeves appear to be about an inch too long. Is it meant to be a bomber jacket kind of style? If so I'd say the length of the jacket itself might also be a tad too long given bombers are usually cut a bit shorter.post #23144 of 283278/13/13 at 2:59amQuote:
Haha, well, well it's labeled as a "Faux Leather Biker Jacket." Is that a bomber jacket kind of style? The picture of the model wearing the jacket has the length of the sleeve a little above the end of the wrist.
I was thinking I should get a size down to an XS because I tried it on and the sleeve ended at my wrist however I feel like it would be too tight opposed to the sort of snug fit I get when I put my arms together in the size S I have right now. Are these kind of jackets supposed to fit pretty tight? The thing I'm most concerned about, though, is the fact that the length of the sleeve sits slightly above (or below depending on perspective) where my knuckles are (past the wrist, before the fingers). I feel like that is too long. Is going past the wrist but above the knuckles of the fingers acceptable? If not, I'll go for the smaller size so that the sleeve ends at the wrist.post #23145 of 283278/13/13 at 3:10am
Yeah it looks like a bomber jacket style.
Is the XS so small that it's uncomfortable when you zip it up? Leather jackets should be fairly close fitting, but you should still have freedom of movement. The other option is to keep the S size and get the sleeves taken up. The jacket length does not appear to be to much of an issue, but the sleeve is definitely too long.
Having said that, I think the picture of the model shows a sleeve length that is slightly too short for the model.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 3 minutes ago
- › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 8 minutes ago
- › Mexico City Suggestions 8 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 10 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)