or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1532

post #22966 of 28238
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post

what is the best kind of shirt to go with a charcoal suit in the pattern below? I know i wont go wrong with solid, but can i use a thin stripe shirt?

 

You generally have two possible routes to go. You either chose a stripe pattern that has a more or less comparable size as the pattern of the suit, or you go with a thinner one. The first route is acceptable because the pattern of the suit is somewhat complex and thus there will be no visual war between the two. This route includes the wide/medium pin stripe (if the bigger, usually, white space is similiar to the pattern block of the suit), which, in my opinion, will probably look best. The second possibility is to wear shirt with typical dress stripe, which will genrally be a safer option.

post #22967 of 28238
996C8097-A949-4559-B854-CAC370857853-796-000000B9767ABD12.jpg

Hi, does anyone know where to kop this kind of wrist strap? I have been trying to find something similar but all I found are too thick for my like or have other materials, eg wood and metal, on them. Thanks.
post #22968 of 28238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandc123 View Post

Hey,

 

anyway I own a pair of beeswax clarks bushacre 2s 

Questions (Click to show)

 

and recently I applied the kiwi brown instant wax polish on them because I wanted to darken them and I have a couple questions, any help is great

 

a) was kiwi brown instant wax polish okay for the boots? will it harm them in any way? 

b) i think its cracking a little bit, is that normal? should i dampening a cloth and wiping it over the boots?

c) my friend just gave me a can of obernaufs heavy duty LP the day after I wax polished, can i apply it over the wax polish?

d) how can I remove the wax polish if needed?

 

thanks so much!

 

 

 

First, stop buying shoes from Clark's, and stop buying shoes you don't already like.  But:

 

a) no, it won't harm them

 

b) if the "cracks" are small like the wrinkles in your grandmother's eyelids, they are either in the polish because you've applied too much,  or in the surface of the leather because it's not that great (and has an artificial coating).  If the latter, there is nothing to be done save attending to my first piece of advice above.  If the former, cleaning the polish off and starting again is the solution.  There is nothing I can do for your grandmother, but she is beautiful in her own way.  Do not apply Kiwi to her, though.

 

c) I don't know what that means.  But don't pile on loads of stuff (see "b").  Even if you use a renovator and/or a cream polish first, the wax polish should always be last.

 

d) Take a small amount of your wife/grandmother's nail polish remover, and dilute it one part in five with water.  Wipe off the polish gently with a soft cloth e.g. an old cotton t-shirt.  You don't need to strip it all off, just until it's completely dull-looking.

 

You're welcome.  And there are lots of threads here about great shoes.  Even if you read back in this thread, there are lots of suggestions for properly made cheaper shoes.  Many of those suggestions are from me, and most of them regard shoes I've bought for myself or my loved ones.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post

what is the best kind of shirt to go with a charcoal suit in the pattern below? I know i wont go wrong with solid, but can i use a thin stripe shirt?

 

Right on both counts: you won't go wrong with solid (this is begging for the SF-approved light blue, and a brownish or burgundy tie).  And you can use a thin stripe.  Contrary to advice above, though, I would suggest respectfully that only a dress or hairline stripe is suitable.  The reason is not the scale of pattern, but that candy and bengal stripes are extremely bold and "city" (think Gordon Gekko 2013), and best suited to solid or certain striped suits in a very rigid business environment.  The softer tones of your lovely suit will not be flattered by thick stripes and bright colours, in my opinion.  Mixing patterns is a bit of an art, and I don't have a suit like yours.  But in terms of scale and tone (albeit much bolder), this might illustrate how a more subtle stripe can work with a less business-y ensemble, with a patterned jacket of similar scale:

Semi-formal pattern combination: dress stripe shirt and gun club check jacket (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obama View Post

Hi, does anyone know where to kop this kind of wrist strap? I have been trying to find something similar but all I found are too thick for my like or have other materials, eg wood and metal, on them. Thanks.

 

There is a member on here called "Hampton" who, if I recall correctly, has an advertisement for such things in his signature.  You can also buy leather shoelaces and adapt them as you will.  However, speaking personally, I would advise you not to buy this or anything like it.  It was a fad in the mid 80s (alas, I'm old enough to remember the first time around), recently recycled, and will pass very soon.

 

 Therefore it falls firmly in the realms of fashion rather than style, let alone "Classic Menswear", and in my opinion is the mark of a sheep-like follower of i-gent style blogs, and possibly a douchebag.  I'm sure you're not a douchebag.  Leave fashion for teenaged girls and stay in the manly and stylish world of CM. nod[1].gif

post #22969 of 28238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

You can but some may suggest to make the stripe a different scale than what's on the shirt. I think if you wore a candy or dress stripe it may not look great. Maybe bengal. I think hairline stripes could work. You should always vary scale of patterns and textures. You could see how it's possible that a candy-stripe could be the exact same, or close, scale and would throw it off. Pin stripes too. Wide pin stripes, dress stripes, bengal, hairline, etc, could be good. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormare View Post

You generally have two possible routes to go. You either chose a stripe pattern that has a more or less comparable size as the pattern of the suit, or you go with a thinner one. The first route is acceptable because the pattern of the suit is somewhat complex and thus there will be no visual war between the two. This route includes the wide/medium pin stripe (if the bigger, usually, white space is similiar to the pattern block of the suit), which, in my opinion, will probably look best. The second possibility is to wear shirt with typical dress stripe, which will genrally be a safer option.

Thanks fellas,

I was thinking a white shirt with pink pinstripes
post #22970 of 28238

Any experience with Paul Fredrick dress shirts? I want to get the 3 for 106 deal in the Pinpoint oxford. Should I get a higher quality fabric?

post #22971 of 28238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
You can but some may suggest to make the stripe a different scale than what's on the shirt. I think if you wore a candy or dress stripe it may not look great. Maybe bengal. I think hairline stripes could work. You should always vary scale of patterns and textures. You could see how it's possible that a candy-stripe could be the exact same, or close, scale and would throw it off. Pin stripes too. Wide pin stripes, dress stripes, bengal, hairline, etc, could be good. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormare View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
You generally have two possible routes to go. You either chose a stripe pattern that has a more or less comparable size as the pattern of the suit, or you go with a thinner one. The first route is acceptable because the pattern of the suit is somewhat complex and thus there will be no visual war between the two. This route includes the wide/medium pin stripe (if the bigger, usually, white space is similiar to the pattern block of the suit), which, in my opinion, will probably look best. The second possibility is to wear shirt with typical dress stripe, which will genrally be a safer option.

so i have 3 options (see spoiler) to go with, the poca dot seems to stick out best, any thoughts on below or am i completely off with these?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Option 1

option 2

option4
post #22972 of 28238

Try a dress stripe.  Of those you've posted, the small check is the nicest, but you will need to be careful with the tie etc. not to end up with the different patterns competing.  In the mean time, I will try not to be offended that you ignored me. :)

post #22973 of 28238
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyShaw View Post

Any experience with Paul Fredrick dress shirts? I want to get the 3 for 106 deal in the Pinpoint oxford. Should I get a higher quality fabric?

They are... OK. For cheap mail order shirts, Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin are better IMO.
post #22974 of 28238
Thanks. Mimo. Given that it should not be expensive. It is worth to experience the look. But Thanks for the inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

First, stop buying shoes from Clark's, and stop buying shoes you don't already like.  But:

a) no, it won't harm them

b) if the "cracks" are small like the wrinkles in your grandmother's eyelids, they are either in the polish because you've applied too much,  or in the surface of the leather because it's not that great (and has an artificial coating).  If the latter, there is nothing to be done save attending to my first piece of advice above.  If the former, cleaning the polish off and starting again is the solution.  There is nothing I can do for your grandmother, but she is beautiful in her own way.  Do not apply Kiwi to her, though.

c) I don't know what that means.  But don't pile on loads of stuff (see "b").  Even if you use a renovator and/or a cream polish first, the wax polish should always be last.

d) Take a small amount of your wife/grandmother's nail polish remover, and dilute it one part in five with water.  Wipe off the polish gently with a soft cloth e.g. an old cotton t-shirt.  You don't need to strip it all off, just until it's completely dull-looking.

You're welcome.  And there are lots of threads here about great shoes.  Even if you read back in this thread, there are lots of suggestions for properly made cheaper shoes.  Many of those suggestions are from me, and most of them regard shoes I've bought for myself or my loved ones.




Right on both counts: you won't go wrong with solid (this is begging for the SF-approved light blue, and a brownish or burgundy tie).  And you can use a thin stripe.  Contrary to advice above, though, I would suggest respectfully that only a dress or hairline stripe is suitable.  The reason is not the scale of pattern, but that candy and bengal stripes are extremely bold and "city" (think Gordon Gekko 2013), and best suited to solid or certain striped suits in a very rigid business environment.  The softer tones of your lovely suit will not be flattered by thick stripes and bright colours, in my opinion.  Mixing patterns is a bit of an art, and I don't have a suit like yours.  But in terms of scale and tone (albeit much bolder), this might illustrate how a more subtle stripe can work with a less business-y ensemble, with a patterned jacket of similar scale: Semi-formal pattern combination: dress stripe shirt and gun club check jacket (Click to show)













There is a member on here called "Hampton" who, if I recall correctly, has an advertisement for such things in his signature.  You can also buy leather shoelaces and adapt them as you will.  However, speaking personally, I would advise you not to buy this or anything like it.  It was a fad in the mid 80s (alas, I'm old enough to remember the first time around), recently recycled, and will pass very soon.

 Therefore it falls firmly in the realms of fashion rather than style, let alone "Classic Menswear", and in my opinion is the mark of a sheep-like follower of i-gent style blogs, and possibly a douchebag.  I'm sure you're not a douchebag.  Leave fashion for teenaged girls and stay in the manly and stylish world of CM. nod%5B1%5D.gif
post #22975 of 28238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Try a dress stripe.  Of those you've posted, the small check is the nicest, but you will need to be careful with the tie etc. not to end up with the different patterns competing.  In the mean time, I will try not to be offended that you ignored me. smile.gif

thanks dude, i am passing on the tie this time.

i actually skipped over your post because i was reading it on my cell phone and saw reply to anandc123 and skipped over it. But, i did just read it and it is much appreciated. smile.gif
post #22976 of 28238

I know there are several SF guides on suits, ties and PSs, but are there such guides for pants and coats? I'm expanding my wardrobe beyond suits to SC + odd pants and coats, and would like to learn about those too.

post #22977 of 28238
post #22978 of 28238

Do you roll up your ties into like a toilet roll or do you hang them? Which is better for the long run?

post #22979 of 28238
I just bought a jacket and the fit looks perfect, except the armholes are high and a little constricting. Is there anything a tailor can do? The stitching around the hole feels tight and it feels like if I just cut it I would have the room I need. I'm obviously not going to try that, but could a tailor do something like that?
post #22980 of 28238
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudals1281 View Post

Do you roll up your ties into like a toilet roll or do you hang them? Which is better for the long run?


Search the forum and you will find several threads on this question:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/229236/tie-care

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/12597/tie-care

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/87071/tie-care-tips

 

 

Cheers

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here