or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1513

post #22681 of 28723
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenBuddha View Post

Thanks for answering my questions
Wouldn't a 1" be too skinny and weird to wear as a dress belt? I'm thinking 1 1/4" then.
Personally 1" is too skinny for my taste.
post #22682 of 28723
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenBuddha View Post

Thanks for answering my questions
Happy to do it, DrunkenBuddha. After all, that's why SF pays me $150,000 per year, provides me with tons of swag, flew me first class to Corsica to investigate the neckties of the opening stages of the Tour de France, and lets me control the casting couch for the "Girls of StyleForum" calendar, right? (Yeah, like that's happening.)
Quote:
Wouldn't a 1" be too skinny and weird to wear as a dress belt?
Nope. 1 inch is the more or less standard dress belt width. Although a man with a large waist might upsize that slightly. 1 1/8" isn't unheard of, for example. With 1 1/4" being the very uppermost limit.

If a really large man wants even wider than that because a 1 1/4" wide belt looks like he's wearing a length of dental floss about his waist, he's better off forgoing a belt all together, and considering options like side adjusters or suspenders. (Which are arguably superior alternatives to a belt even on a small or medium-sized man.)

Something like a 1 3/4" dress belt is simply an oxymoron. Which leads me to believe that sometime soon, some Hollywood celebrity will show up on an awards show, wearing a 2" wide "dress" belt with his too tight, too short suit. And this will mark the beginning of a trend whereby dress belts will grow to absurd size, much as many wristwatches have grown to what are, by traditional standards, utterly grotesque sizes.
post #22683 of 28723

Hypothetically, let's say 17 inch on the shoulders is the perfect size for me. Would increasing or decreasing 1/4 of an inch make a big difference?  

post #22684 of 28723

I'm a big Mad Men fan and there is one suit in particular that Mr. Draper dons every once in awhile. On his suits' lapel there is, what looks to be, a button hole, but it doesn't have a button across from it. Does anyone know what the point of it is? And if it has a specific name?

 

 

 

post #22685 of 28723
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitsandties View Post

I'm a big Mad Men fan and there is one suit in particular that Mr. Draper dons every once in awhile. On his suits' lapel there is, what looks to be, a button hole, but it doesn't have a button across from it. Does anyone know what the point of it is? And if it has a specific name?











Trad staple. Three Roll Two, which means that is a 3 button suit which is designed to have the lapel roll to the second button. There is a button across from it but it is on the back side of the lapel.
post #22686 of 28723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post


Trad staple. Three Roll Two, which means that is a 3 button suit which is designed to have the lapel roll to the second button. There is a button across from it but it is on the back side of the lapel.


Thank you, Steve.

post #22687 of 28723

All of mine are that way. Love em.

post #22688 of 28723
Also very common in Italian suits. Youll also hear the term three-roll-2.5, where it doesn't roll all the way to the second button. This is actually my preferred button arrangement.
post #22689 of 28723
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Also very common in Italian suits. Youll also hear the term three-roll-2.5, where it doesn't roll all the way to the second button. This is actually my preferred button arrangement.

 

Funny. Mine actually come in 3r2.5 but I'd prefer if they were 3r2.

post #22690 of 28723
Quote:
Originally Posted by docka View Post

Hypothetically, let's say 17 inch on the shoulders is the perfect size for me. Would increasing or decreasing 1/4 of an inch make a big difference?  

no:
-most measurements are inexact due to 3-dimensionality of the jacket
-depends on the way the shoulder are expressed (roped, draped, etc)
-your posture , or even merely contracting of muscles can change that width
post #22691 of 28723
Does anyone here do mtm or bespoke shirts? (rhetorical question, I know the answer) due to my odd proportions I can't wear otr shirts which makes thrifting even harder. if anyone has a reasonably priced mtm or bespoke shirt maker please pm me. also would it be cheaper to buy otr and then have them tailored to fit better? I feel like for that price a mtm or bespoke would be best.
post #22692 of 28723
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


And this will mark the beginning of a trend whereby dress belts will grow to absurd size, much as many wristwatches have grown to what are, by traditional standards, utterly grotesque sizes.

 

I would have to agree, watches these days are just becoming ridiculous and I hope that belts don't go the same way.

 

To be honest I am not much of a fan of belts. I often wear a vest and I don't like the bulge created underneath it by the buckle. Side adjusters are my personal preference.

post #22693 of 28723
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitsandties View Post

I'm a big Mad Men fan and there is one suit in particular that Mr. Draper dons every once in awhile.

I see what you did there. Very nice. wink.gif
post #22694 of 28723
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglose View Post

Does anyone here do mtm or bespoke shirts? (rhetorical question, I know the answer) due to my odd proportions I can't wear otr shirts which makes thrifting even harder. if anyone has a reasonably priced mtm or bespoke shirt maker please pm me. also would it be cheaper to buy otr and then have them tailored to fit better? I feel like for that price a mtm or bespoke would be best.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/304965/luxire-custom-clothing-official-affiliate-thread/0_50
post #22695 of 28723

Hey all,

 

I was just wondering if anyone knows where to get a good quality black lambskin leather jacket online?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here