Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Today at 2:21 pm in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- shirts,sweaters,jackets,suits,coats,pants and shoes Last post on 4/7/11 at 5:56pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1513post #22681 of 282437/9/13 at 1:40pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #22682 of 282437/9/13 at 2:20pmQuote:Nope. 1 inch is the more or less standard dress belt width. Although a man with a large waist might upsize that slightly. 1 1/8" isn't unheard of, for example. With 1 1/4" being the very uppermost limit.Wouldn't a 1" be too skinny and weird to wear as a dress belt?
If a really large man wants even wider than that because a 1 1/4" wide belt looks like he's wearing a length of dental floss about his waist, he's better off forgoing a belt all together, and considering options like side adjusters or suspenders. (Which are arguably superior alternatives to a belt even on a small or medium-sized man.)
Something like a 1 3/4" dress belt is simply an oxymoron. Which leads me to believe that sometime soon, some Hollywood celebrity will show up on an awards show, wearing a 2" wide "dress" belt with his too tight, too short suit. And this will mark the beginning of a trend whereby dress belts will grow to absurd size, much as many wristwatches have grown to what are, by traditional standards, utterly grotesque sizes.post #22683 of 282437/9/13 at 3:21pmpost #22684 of 282437/9/13 at 3:23pmpost #22685 of 282437/9/13 at 3:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by suitsandties
I'm a big Mad Men fan and there is one suit in particular that Mr. Draper dons every once in awhile. On his suits' lapel there is, what looks to be, a button hole, but it doesn't have a button across from it. Does anyone know what the point of it is? And if it has a specific name?
Trad staple. Three Roll Two, which means that is a 3 button suit which is designed to have the lapel roll to the second button. There is a button across from it but it is on the back side of the lapel.post #22686 of 282437/9/13 at 3:28pmpost #22687 of 282437/9/13 at 3:32pmpost #22688 of 282437/9/13 at 3:36pmpost #22689 of 282437/9/13 at 3:38pmpost #22690 of 282437/9/13 at 4:04pmQuote:
-most measurements are inexact due to 3-dimensionality of the jacket
-depends on the way the shoulder are expressed (roped, draped, etc)
-your posture , or even merely contracting of muscles can change that widthpost #22691 of 282437/9/13 at 9:16pmDoes anyone here do mtm or bespoke shirts? (rhetorical question, I know the answer) due to my odd proportions I can't wear otr shirts which makes thrifting even harder. if anyone has a reasonably priced mtm or bespoke shirt maker please pm me. also would it be cheaper to buy otr and then have them tailored to fit better? I feel like for that price a mtm or bespoke would be best.post #22692 of 282437/9/13 at 9:27pmQuote:
I would have to agree, watches these days are just becoming ridiculous and I hope that belts don't go the same way.
To be honest I am not much of a fan of belts. I often wear a vest and I don't like the bulge created underneath it by the buckle. Side adjusters are my personal preference.post #22693 of 282437/9/13 at 10:12pmpost #22694 of 282437/10/13 at 6:45amQuote:Originally Posted by aglose
Does anyone here do mtm or bespoke shirts? (rhetorical question, I know the answer) due to my odd proportions I can't wear otr shirts which makes thrifting even harder. if anyone has a reasonably priced mtm or bespoke shirt maker please pm me. also would it be cheaper to buy otr and then have them tailored to fit better? I feel like for that price a mtm or bespoke would be best.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit... 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 8 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 25 minutes ago
- › NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread 29 minutes ago
- › How Racist Was This? 39 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 40 minutes ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 49 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 50 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)