or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1507

post #22591 of 28326

Vent's aren't popped and it covers your butt. Length approved!

 

I like the shorter cut of jacket in a SC. It has less weight to it, it's playful! As long as you're not hanging out of it, it's fine in my books.

 

Moving along: I'm about to buy my first blue suit, and wonder what people's particular favourite fabric styles are for a "do everything" get-up. One day i will have a bold pinstripe, but i can't be that daring right now. What's traditional? Herringbone? Sharkskin? Birds-eye (or is that too much?)?


Edited by Cubits - 7/4/13 at 4:36pm
post #22592 of 28326
FML! Zegna is having a 30% off sale on their spring/summer suits. I am beating myself over the head for paying full retail. FML!
post #22593 of 28326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubits View Post

Vent's aren't popped and it covers your butt. Length approved!
Moving along: I'm about to buy my first blue suit, and wonder what people's particular favourite fabric styles are for a "do everything" get-up. One day i will have a bold pinstripe, but i can't be that daring right now. What's traditional? Herringbone? Sharkskin? Birds-eye (or is that too much?)?
You want your first blue and go to suit to be plain as possible, so I would not go with a Herringbone. I'm not too familiar with sharkskin and birds-eye, but I don't think I would go with those either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoston View Post

Hello people! I have noticed that you are a bunch of guys with great knowledge about basically everything concerning clothes. For a while now I have been looking for the suit in this picture, so I thougt i would try my luck here. From the looks of it it seems to be the most comfortable thing ever, and the fit is perfect. Would be grateful for any advice and tips on where to find it (or some other suit in the same category).

How can you tell that the fit is perfect from that picture?
post #22594 of 28326

Hello everybody, 

 

I was wondering about these shoes: http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1215&sc=1215&pid=68092

 

I like the look (and the price even more) but before buying them I noticed (or am I imagining?) that they were slightly... square-toed.  Now, the fashion media has driven me to a state of utter paranoia when it comes to square-toe shoes - I'm supposed to avoid them like the plague and if I am ever caught wearing a pair of the horrid creations it shall be my fashion demise.

 

So the question to you experts is, I suppose, are they square-toed or are they alright, because I can't quite tell.

post #22595 of 28326
Oysters, do not engage.
Welcome to Styleforum.
post #22596 of 28326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oysters View Post

Hello everybody, 

I was wondering about these shoes: http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1215&sc=1215&pid=68092

I like the look (and the price even more)...

If price is a concern and you need a half-decent pair of dress shoes, I'd suggest these from J&M on Amazon after the 20% discount you get from signing up for their men's shoes email list. Impeccable styling and a goodyear welt so they should hold up far better than the glued rubber-soled examples you provided.

My now-brother-in-law bought some to use at his wedding last weekend and was shocked at how good they felt and looked (he's a middle school teacher, so he only needed special-event shoes to wear a few times a year).
post #22597 of 28326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

Oysters, do not engage.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Dear Man of Lint,

 

Thank you, but what do you mean by "do not engage?"

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post


If price is a concern and you need a half-decent pair of dress shoes, I'd suggest these from J&M on Amazon after the 20% discount you get from signing up for their men's shoes email list. Impeccable styling and a goodyear welt so they should hold up far better than the glued rubber-soled examples you provided.

My now-brother-in-law bought some to use at his wedding last weekend and was shocked at how good they felt and looked (he's a middle school teacher, so he only needed special-event shoes to wear a few times a year).

 

Thank you, I had no idea Amazon offered such a discount!

 

I am a bit apprehensive about buying online, though - I could always go into a Johnston and Murphy store, try them on, and then walk out, but that would be a bit awkward.  

post #22598 of 28326

Anybody familiar with the quality of Adrienne Vittadini luggage? It's on Vent-Privee right now at deep discount.

post #22599 of 28326
Attending a wedding this evening an my favorite blue suit requires braces. Is it considered ostentatious to wear this suit considering jackets normally come off at the reception?

I have no knowledge of the expected etiquette, level of dress, and venue. I will comment the wedding couple are in early 20's if that adds perspective.
post #22600 of 28326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post

Is it considered ostentatious to wear this suit considering jackets normally come off at the reception?
One could maintain that the larger issue is that your jacket should not be coming off at the reception.
post #22601 of 28326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post

One could maintain that the larger issue is that your jacket should not be coming off at the reception.

I can subscribe to this. Doubtful any others abide by #meanswear so I foresee being harassed to remove jacket.
post #22602 of 28326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post

Doubtful any others abide by #meanswear so I foresee being harassed to remove jacket.
Is #meanswear like #menswear, just a little nastier? smile.gif

More to the point, someone who harasses you in an effort to get you to remove items of clothing can typically be ignored. Or at the most, resort to a polite, "Thank you for taking such an acute interest in my comfort and my clothing. I assure you I'll give your advice all the consideration it deserves." Then walk away.

I would add that if the person harassing you at the wedding is an attractive woman, it's not suave and sophisticated, in a Jame Bondian sort of way, to ask her, "If I remove my jacket in order to make you happy, what will you take off for me?"
post #22603 of 28326

How are the Thomas Mason shirts from Jcrew. They're probably not worth it for full price, but what about paying $65 dollars on sale? I believe it's 2-ply fabric with MOP buttons. 

 

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shirts/thomasmasonfshirts/PRDOVR~22286/99102849579/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~15~~20+16+4294967106~15~~~~~~~/22286.jsp

post #22604 of 28326

Is this fit of this sportcoat unbalanced?  Is the (too) short look with the heavy lapels a poor look?  And does the styling look dated?

 

 

post #22605 of 28326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post

I can subscribe to this. Doubtful any others abide by #meanswear so I foresee being harassed to remove jacket.
I have never been asked to remove my jacket at a wedding. I doubt anyone gave any thought at all as to the fact that I had my jacket on. For outdoor receptions in warm weather, I could see someone saying something.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here