or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1485

post #22261 of 29352

I like one and two, but they're all fine.

post #22262 of 29352

Not sure if I should ask here or SW&D but where do you guys get good quality umbrellas? Preferably one that is pretty big when opened

 

I'm looking to get a full size one and a small one. 

 

Most of the ones I used before were pretty bad quality and I'm tired of buying them for ~$12 at CVS just to have them break after a couple of uses.

post #22263 of 29352

I just measured myself for Modern Tailor and was wondering if my body is disproportionate or not:

 

  CM IN
Neck 38 15
Chest 89 35
Waist 77 30
Hips 92.5 36.5
Shoulder 46.5 18.3
Sleeve Length 65 25.6
Wrist 16 6.3
Bicep 30 11.8
Shirt Length 70.5 27.8
Armhole 46 18.1
Height 171 5'7
Weight 65kg 143lbs

 

Where could I get ready-made shirts that fit me best? Here in Melbourne, Australia, the slimmest shirt company is Jack London but even their XS shirts with 37.5cm neck are made for a 96cm chest while mine is only 89...

post #22264 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by acinod View Post

I just measured myself for Modern Tailor and was wondering if my body is disproportionate or not:

Where could I get ready-made shirts that fit me best? Here in Melbourne, Australia, the slimmest shirt company is Jack London but even their XS shirts with 37.5cm neck are made for a 96cm chest while mine is only 89...

Your measurements are actually pretty similar to mine, small but mostly not disproportionate, though the shoulder measurement seems quite large, mine are only like 16.5". That may just be because of a measuring error though, it can be tricky to know where to measure to. I get all my shirts made to measure, there are no RTW shirts that fit me properly.
post #22265 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post

Not sure if I should ask here or SW&D but where do you guys get good quality umbrellas? Preferably one that is pretty big when opened

 

I'm looking to get a full size one and a small one. 

 

Most of the ones I used before were pretty bad quality and I'm tired of buying them for ~$12 at CVS just to have them break after a couple of uses.

 

While I am no umbrella expert (I am still getting by with the drug store umbrellas myself), I'd check one of the following links:

http://dieworkwear.com/post/3429181947/more-umbrella-options

http://www.kentwang.com/accessories

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/umbrellas

http://www.foxumbrellas.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html

http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/umbrellas/mens_brigg/index.html

post #22266 of 29352
Quote:

To be honest, If you really want a good quality umbrella (and by that I define it as construction. strength, and durability, rather than wood handles etc)
I heavily recommend blunt Umbrellas. You can find them at many online places including bonobos, huckberry etc, and on windy days, it holds up well (whereas ppl around me deal with inverted unbrellas etc)

If you want something like London Undercover or the ones mentioned above (except those in DieWorkWear link-those are good options too), I think they're okay for rain/drizzle, but not for wind/rain/more severe conditions. They certainly look more stylish, but I'm skeptical about functionality.
When it comes to umbrellas, unfortunately utilitarian concerns tend to win over fashionable considerations
post #22267 of 29352

I just received a pair of strands from the tent sale. They are definitely beautiful shoes, but like all 2nd qualities, there some blemishes. The stitching appears to be off with my shoe. Will this impact the quality of the shoe as I wear it more often? I don't want the sewn-in stitching to be coming out one by one from the holes. By the way, the error on the stitching is on the inside, so it doesn't really affect the shoe's aesthetics as much as one may think. It's really very subtle unless you stare at it. I'm more concern with the on-going construction of the shoe, as I don't want the beautiful pattern to fall apart. 

 

 

post #22268 of 29352
Hi SFers, I'm looking to get a pair of black lace-ups/oxfords/captoes, and a pair of walnut lace-ups/oxfords/captoes. Any recommendations for makers that sells in the $250-$350 range?

Currently my favorite is a of Magnanni I bought last summer, as pictured in my avatar, and love it in terms of looks. Shinny = good, but not too shinny.
post #22269 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post


Your measurements are actually pretty similar to mine, small but mostly not disproportionate, though the shoulder measurement seems quite large, mine are only like 16.5". That may just be because of a measuring error though, it can be tricky to know where to measure to. I get all my shirts made to measure, there are no RTW shirts that fit me properly.

 

That's the problem my shoulders are big but my waist is tiny and my chest is flat. So I pretty much look like an inverted 2d triangle. A jacket that fits my shoulders will have too much room in the waistline and in the chest. Is custom-made the only option for me? I've pretty much given up finding RTW clothing that fits me.

post #22270 of 29352

Another question...

 

Is it possible to taper the arm holes and sides with BB extra slim non-iron shirts? I heard some people mentioned that the seams pucker up if tapered/altered. Just wanted some opinions before making a decision on these shirts in case I need it bring it to a tailor. 

post #22271 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by docka View Post

Another question...

Is it possible to taper the arm holes and sides with BB extra slim non-iron shirts? I heard some people mentioned that the seams pucker up if tapered/altered. Just wanted some opinions before making a decision on these shirts in case I need it bring it to a tailor. 

Slimming the body is a common alteration. I wouldn't suggest attempting to alter arm holes; too many variables involved.
post #22272 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post

Slimming the body is a common alteration. I wouldn't suggest attempting to alter arm holes; too many variables involved.

On shirts, slimming the arm holes is often a part of slimming the shirt. You get the neatest seam if you go all the way from the hem to the cuff.

You should be fine, but slimming a Brooks ESF? Are you sure you have the right size?
post #22273 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post


On shirts, slimming the arm holes is often a part of slimming the shirt. You get the neatest seam if you go all the way from the hem to the cuff.

You should be fine, but slimming a Brooks ESF? Are you sure you have the right size?

My neck is 14.5 and my chest is around 35. You think that will fit me nicely? 

post #22274 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

On shirts, slimming the arm holes is often a part of slimming the shirt. You get the neatest seam if you go all the way from the hem to the cuff.

You should be fine, but slimming a Brooks ESF? Are you sure you have the right size?

I misread and thought OP wanted to raise the armholes, of which, would require a complete reconstruction of the shirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docka View Post

My neck is 14.5 and my chest is around 35. You think that will fit me nicely? 

If you have a well fitting shirt currently, measure it and compare against the measurements on BB's website. Viola. Making trip to store and trying them on is preferable, obviously.
post #22275 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by docka View Post

My neck is 14.5 and my chest is around 35. You think that will fit me nicely? 

Yes. Obviously, comparing measurements is good if you can, but the ESF is decently slim.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here