There's not many colours you can't wear with white and navy.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best stuff for spring and summer? Last post on 12/27/12 at 3:02am in Streetwear and Denim
- Mr. Porter Last post on 8/28/12 at 4:18pm in Classic Menswear
- When is 3 Piece Suit appropriate Last post on 7/3/13 at 6:13am in Classic Menswear
- What To Wear With Linen Pants Last post on 7/22/11 at 10:18am in Streetwear and Denim
- Dressing to look taller? Last post on 10/17/13 at 8:49pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Bison Made
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Four Horsemen Shop
- GABE Tailored
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Jeffrey George
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Upstate Stock
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1483post #22231 of 251146/14/13 at 8:39am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #22232 of 251146/14/13 at 8:39am
Monty: don't wear that. Wear a light blue shirt. And then I'd go burgundy, brown or dark green. Probably a knit or grenadine. And tan shoes. Or if you're going to wear jeans, why a tie at all? Maybe get at least some chinos...
Acinod: but don't buy shit shoes. You're not going to wear them to an interview anyway...post #22233 of 251146/14/13 at 8:51ampost #22234 of 251146/14/13 at 9:47ampost #22235 of 251146/14/13 at 11:12amLooking for versatile trousers. Wanted to get different shades of gray, beige, and some others that go well with almost all outfits. Hugo boss sharp fit me well, but I am having trouble deciding which colors to get from nordstrom sale. Which colors from the following would be ideal/versatile?
Blue black check
Grey White Check
Grey Checkpost #22236 of 251146/14/13 at 1:47pmI just bought a summer wool/linen blend dark blue odd jacket with patch pockets. It's going to wrinkle - which is fine.
Is it going to appear incongruous to wear this type of coat with stone gabardines or tropical wool grey odd trousers?
PS Fresco is out because I can't afford it right now - i really wish i could!
These appear to be the end-all-be-all to me:
I would have everything in fresco and hopsack if i could swing it.
Thanks in advance!post #22237 of 251146/14/13 at 1:57pmpost #22238 of 251146/14/13 at 2:20pmI have a business formal evening event coming up, and I am not sure what to wear. Most on this board seem to recommend a navy suit for evening, and black shoes for evening. However, there is also a contingent that recommends against a navy suit with black shoes. What is the ideal configuration here?
Regarding a tie, I suppose it should be shiny. I was thinking burgundy, but I could also do black or navy grenadine. Any suggestions?post #22239 of 251146/14/13 at 2:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by GuP
Looking for versatile trousers. Wanted to get different shades of gray, beige, and some others that go well with almost all outfits. Hugo boss sharp fit me well, but I am having trouble deciding which colors to get from nordstrom sale. Which colors from the following would be ideal/versatile?
Solid trousers will be much more versatile than anything patterned.post #22240 of 251146/14/13 at 2:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
I have a business formal evening event coming up, and I am not sure what to wear. Most on this board seem to recommend a navy suit for evening, and black shoes for evening. However, there is also a contingent that recommends against a navy suit with black shoes. What is the ideal configuration here?
Regarding a tie, I suppose it should be shiny. I was thinking burgundy, but I could also do black or navy grenadine. Any suggestions?
Black shoes are 100% fine with a navy suit.
I would go solid navy suit, solid white shirt, black/white tie, and black shoes. Youll be better dressed than anyone there.post #22241 of 251146/14/13 at 2:39pm
When is the best time to stock up on Extra slim fit BB dress shirts for the lowest or close to the lowest price possible? Just looking for some staple items - white and blue dress shirts. I heard there's a deal on the 17th in regards to dress shirts. What's the best way to claim my size before it runs out? I'm a 14.5/32. Go to the store or wait for the deal to go live on 6/17?post #22242 of 251146/14/13 at 2:41pm
Black shoes are more formal, and it's a relatively formal event, so go for it. To be clear, there used to be a "rule" that brown shoes were unsuitable for business and suits, which was officially terminated about fifteen years ago. But black is still more formal and therefore safer than brown, and with brown, the lighter you go the less formal you get.
So, blue suit, black shoes it is. What colour shirt? White is OK, light blue is nicer. And I'd go with the burgundy tie - perfect. Add a white pocket square too.post #22243 of 251146/14/13 at 2:54pmThanks for the advice.
As for brown shoes, I have no problem with them for business, as I usually wear brown to work. My main objection is that they aren't appropriate for evening.
I almost always wear blue shirts, but I was thinking white since it is evening.
I do own a PoW check tie, though it is not black but navy. It is very dark though, so it looks black.post #22244 of 251146/14/13 at 3:01pmQuote:I suspect just as many recommend a grey suit, as recommend a navy suit.
But yes, light colored shoes are mostly for daytime. Not nighttime. Same way that light colored suits are mostly for daytime, not nighttime.Quote:Those who maintain that one should never wear black shoes with a navy suit, are every bit as foolish as those who maintain that black shoes are mandatory with a navy suit.However, there is also a contingent that recommends against a navy suit with black shoes. What is the ideal configuration here?
However, if you really don't want to wear a navy suit and black shoes at night, go ahead and wear a grey suit and black shoes, instead. Problem solved.Quote:That's a perfectly reasonable choice, but it's not the only choice.Regarding a tie, I suppose it should be shiny.Quote:I'd prefer burgundy or navy, to black, although a black tie with a navy suit isn't necessarily an awful choice. And a grenadine is fine, although (again) it's just one possibility and certainly not the only possibility.I was thinking burgundy, but I could also do black or navy grenadine. Any suggestions?post #22245 of 251146/14/13 at 3:07pmQuote:If you wear a navy suit, and a blue shirt, I'd recommend avoiding the navy tie. Because that's a whole lotta blue you'd have going for you.
In fact, if you wear the navy suit, wear the white (or, better still in my opinion, ecru) shirt. Personally, I'm not wild about navy suits worn with blue shirts, but if the blue is very pale (which it should be, in a dress shirt) it can look okay. I just don't think it's the best possible choice with a navy suit, most of the time.Quote:Whether it seems black or not, it's probably a perfectly reasonable choice.I do own a PoW check tie, though it is not black but navy. It is very dark though, so it looks black.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Australian Members 16 seconds ago
- › Opinions needed on relocating for career advancement please 1 minute ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 3 minutes ago
- › The WAYWT Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Washington, DC SF Holiday Party: Tuesday, December 10 3 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III 7 minutes ago
- › Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part II 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › Herschel Ravine Black/Tan FA 12 by pfmicks
- › Vans Footwear The Barbour Classic Slip On Sneaker,10.5,Green by ATLnoob
- › Berg & Berg unlined silk bow tie (SS'13) by MTB-85
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by ahilal
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw