Is a plaid/madras blazer formal enough to wear to court during the summer time?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best stuff for spring and summer? Last post on 12/27/12 at 3:02am in Streetwear and Denim
- Mr. Porter Last post on 8/28/12 at 4:18pm in Classic Menswear
- When is 3 Piece Suit appropriate Last post on 7/3/13 at 6:13am in Classic Menswear
- What To Wear With Linen Pants Last post on 7/22/11 at 10:18am in Streetwear and Denim
- Dressing to look taller? Last post on 10/17/13 at 8:49pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Bison Made
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Four Horsemen Shop
- GABE Tailored
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Jeffrey George
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Upstate Stock
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1454post #21796 of 253085/21/13 at 5:34pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #21797 of 253085/21/13 at 6:34pm
I have a constant conundrum when buying suits. I'm a 40S jacket because but really only need to 40 to fit around my backside. The shoulders always look just a little more Frankenstein-ian than I'd like. If I size down to a 38S the shoulders and armpits fit perfectly for a very nice tailored look. However, the jacket pulls a little when buttoned. On either I always need to get the sleeves shortened.
So, my question to you all is do I go with the 38S and have it let out a bit seeing as the shoulders fit nicely? I've heard that sometimes when you let jackets out there's a seam that ends up showing. Or, do I get the 40S and have a tailor work some magic to get the shoulders to fit better?
Thank you for the advice.post #21798 of 253085/21/13 at 6:37pmQuote:A plaid blazer? Maybe. Some plaid blazers would be acceptable year 'round. Others would be wrong year 'round. Show me the blazer.
Madras? I wouldn't do it, myself.
But I do see plenty of people showing up for court in jeans, polo shirts, sneakers, etc. So by those standards, a madras blazer, with a nice pair of pants, buttondown shirt, and shoes, doesn't sound so bad.
It probably also matters who you are, where you are, and why you're there. A $375/hour lawyer, showing in up in federal court in NYC, to argue his client's $150 million case, is one thing. The guy who's showing up at traffic court in suburban Anytown, to offer an apology/explanation and hope for a PBJ on a charge of doing 72 on a 55mph road, is another.
And, of course, there are lots of other reasons why a person might be showing up for court. And lots of judges who have personal biases regarding what they do and don't want people to wear in their courtroom.
So that's my answer to you - It depends. Provide additional relevant background, and maybe someone will be able to give you a better answer than that.
Michael (who is willing to wear a seersucker suit and bow tie to court, but only when south of the Mason/Dixon line)post #21799 of 253085/21/13 at 6:47pmQuote:First try shopping around a little. Not all 40S suits have identical shoulders. Some - like many Jos. A. Bank suits - tend to have these massively over-built shoulders. Others don't.
I'm not saying that the alterations route is necessarily a bad move for you. Just that, if you can find a make of suit that's cut a little less generously across the shoulders, you might be able to avoid the Frankenstein thing without having to resort to alterations, which would likely be best.post #21800 of 253085/21/13 at 11:49pmMenswear n00b is back. Recap: I have 2 weddings to attend, a week apart from each other. I picked up one suit (blackwatch or black, grey, and purple tartan,whatever's it's called) and will wear it for both, but will wear different shirts and ties w/ the suit.
I've decided on 2 shirts: light purple (pictured) and white. Question: what color ties would go best? I've already decided on a 'patterned' tie of some sort, but what base color would look best with this suit and purple and white shirts?
And this is probably a no-no...but a grey tie with it? (I just threw it on to see how it looked)post #21801 of 253085/22/13 at 12:32amTie bar w/o jacket? I recently got my Kent Wang clip, seems like it's a great way to keep the tie tail from dipping into unwanted places like your food or a wet sink (when washing your face).
I have no need to a jacket for work usually because Singapore is too hot for one...only needed when meeting big clients / interviews / important events. Also, I'm not going to be the idiot who is impeccably dressed but broiling alive in 34 celsius and 90% humidity weather.post #21802 of 253085/22/13 at 4:38ampost #21803 of 253085/22/13 at 5:51ampost #21804 of 253085/22/13 at 6:32ampost #21805 of 253085/22/13 at 7:07ampost #21806 of 253085/22/13 at 7:49am
Hey guys, I need advice on what shoe size would fit me well
Shoe in question is Herring Hampstead (using last 026 only in width F)
I fit into Clarks DB size 9 and most of my shoes are US 10.5 (only with exception of my Converse shoes idk why it's in size UK11 ?)
I have a flat foot though.. my feet measures 4.4 inches wide and 10.77 inches longpost #21807 of 253085/22/13 at 11:03ampost #21808 of 253085/22/13 at 11:36am
Does anyone know what the folding on the thighs of pants is from? Example below. I wear a size 33. If I get a size 34 and get the seat and rear rise taken in, the sides are pretty clean, comparable to "02 STRAIGHT" fit below. If I get 33's (which don't really need the seat or rise taken in too much), it's got the same fold on the side as this "04 RELAXED" fit below.
How can I fix that? If you see it from the front, it makes my thighs look gigantic. I look like one of those hunters with the huge thigh pants.post #21809 of 253085/22/13 at 3:18pmpost #21810 of 253085/22/13 at 3:40pm
Blue plain suede loafers? Not sure. I got some blue suede string loafers from Carmina/Skoab..
I like them but I haven't really worn them yet. I'd suggest against it unless you've already got a vast wardrobe and know how to wear them well.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 17 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here 3 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 5 minutes ago
- › BNWT Dockers Alpha Khaki 30X30 5 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › APC NEW STANDARD 28 6 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › Herschel Ravine Black/Tan FA 12 by pfmicks
- › Vans Footwear The Barbour Classic Slip On Sneaker,10.5,Green by ATLnoob
- › Berg & Berg unlined silk bow tie (SS'13) by MTB-85
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw