My body is pretty skinny, does it mean that I have to wear skinny or not too wide ties? Thus tie width in the range from 3''-3.5''?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Today at 10:03 am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN Hall of Fame: pre-2010 Last post on 7/27/14 at 11:09am in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1452
Styleforum Top Pickspost #21767 of 285815/21/13 at 4:59ampost #21768 of 285815/21/13 at 6:01amQuote:Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
It's a blue dress shirt. There are precisely 8 zillion ties that would go perfectly fine with it. And just to make it even more impossible to give you a meaningful recommendation, you've helpfully chosen not to indicate what else you might be wearing, or what the setting might be.
I'm sorry. I've answered hundreds of questions in this thread, and I genuinely try to be friendly about it. I do not in any way enjoy coming off as an asshole who gives people a hard time over a simple question.
But come on - with 130 posts to your credit, surely you can appreciate that you've got to give people a little more to go on than a picture of a fairly ordinary blue shirt. It's like posting to a gourmet forum, saying that you like cooked food, and asking for restaurant suggestions. Just not nearly enough relevant information.
Fair enough. Here's what I mustered this morning to go with my black suit (with a white silk pocket square). I think the color was okay but the skinny tie thing FAILED. My creative mind can only think of black ties (with patterns or dots) to go along with this shirt. What color ties can I go with this?post #21769 of 285815/21/13 at 6:06ampost #21770 of 285815/21/13 at 7:02ampost #21771 of 285815/21/13 at 7:02am
Yes they can. But dinner suits shouldn't have stripes, so maybe get a nicer one. :)Quote:
Impossible to really tell the quality from the picture, and can't tell the size either. But assuming the leather is real, even if it's not the best and a small satchel as suggested above, $100 seems like a good price for anything leather and new-looking.Quote:
3-3.5 is normal really. Pretty safe range for any body shape. Thinner always looks more casual, and to me a bit Justin Bieber; too wide looks like pimp-wear. So stay where you are and you'll be fine. The exception is knitted ties, that are normally rather thinner, but you're on the right track already, don't get hung up on it.
You're a slim man so the first one didn't look "skinny". And it would have been more helpful to see pics with your jacket on. All three are fine, and suitably conservative for any use.post #21772 of 285815/21/13 at 9:44amBought a 2.7 meter end of roll piece of Scabal charcoal grey 100% superfine wool that was a 'bargain' price. Originally thought blazer, then I read about how hard this color blazer is to match and the risk of it looking like an orphan suit jacket. Should I just have a pair of trousers (takes about 2 meters for me) made from this material as this will be a more useful separate.post #21773 of 285815/21/13 at 9:55ampost #21774 of 285815/21/13 at 10:07am
I wouldn't rule out a jacket altogether. I think the trick to make it clearly a separate jacket, is to make it less smart than a suit. Soft shoulders, wide notch lapels, perhaps contrasting buttons, and even something unusual like flapped patch pockets. It can't really be country, which is easier to pull off, because it's so light. But it has a nice texture, and I think if you add a couple of non-suit oddities and keep it less structured, you'll have a very nice summer sports jacket.
Alternatively, nothing wrong in my book with charcoal trousers. Anything grey flannel can do, this can do, especially if you have to be semi-formal in warm weather.post #21775 of 285815/21/13 at 10:15ampost #21776 of 285815/21/13 at 10:17ampost #21777 of 285815/21/13 at 11:27ampost #21778 of 285815/21/13 at 11:58ampost #21779 of 285815/21/13 at 12:02pmQuote:Hard for me to say for sure without seeing the suit in question, but skinny ties are often a less than ideal choice. If you tried it with a skinny tie, and decided it didn't work, then wear it with a non-skinny tie.I think the color was okay but the skinny tie thing FAILED.Quote:Shouldn't a creative mind should be able to think outside the extremely narrow, self-imposed limitation of nothing but a black tie? (Nor, for whatever it's worth, does the combination of a black suit, blue shirt, and black tie, does not strike me as being particularly creative, nor among the better choices for wearing to most work environments.)My creative mind can only think of black ties (with patterns or dots) to go along with this shirt. What color ties can I go with this?
I mean, it's a solid blue shirt. As I said before, many tie colors can potentially work with a solid blue shirt. So can many patterns. There are more possibilities here than there are dishonest politicians in Washington.Quote:Why don't you to to thetiebar.com. I'm not necessarily suggesting you buy some ties from there. I am suggesting that you use the filters there, where you can choose to limit what you're shown by suit color, tie width, etc. And after selecting a tie, you can even see a picture of what it would look like when paired with shirts and jackets of different colors. (I don't remember whether "black" is one of the jacket color choices, but if not, I'm sure charcoal is. And that's close enough to give you some idea. I think that "blue" is one of the shirt color choices.)What color ties can I go with this?
Do this, to kick start your creativity out of the "must be black" rut into which it's currently trapped. You'll be presented with hundreds of ties, in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Maybe that'll get you to thinking outside the very tiny box in which your creativity is currently trapped.
Wearing a black suit, skinny black tie, and blue shirt, to work, is just such a horrible idea. (Yeah, I know I said I'd skip over that part, but I gave you a nicely thought out, hopefully somewhat helpful answer. So I felt entitled in rewarding myself with an expression of hatred for a look which truly offends my sensibilities.)post #21780 of 285815/21/13 at 12:03pm
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 50 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 2 minutes ago
- › Offical Barbour Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 4 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 5 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)