My body is pretty skinny, does it mean that I have to wear skinny or not too wide ties? Thus tie width in the range from 3''-3.5''?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Today at 9:17 am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN Hall of Fame: pre-2010 Last post on 7/27/14 at 11:09am in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1452
Styleforum Top Pickspost #21767 of 288765/21/13 at 4:59ampost #21768 of 288765/21/13 at 6:01amQuote:Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
It's a blue dress shirt. There are precisely 8 zillion ties that would go perfectly fine with it. And just to make it even more impossible to give you a meaningful recommendation, you've helpfully chosen not to indicate what else you might be wearing, or what the setting might be.
I'm sorry. I've answered hundreds of questions in this thread, and I genuinely try to be friendly about it. I do not in any way enjoy coming off as an asshole who gives people a hard time over a simple question.
But come on - with 130 posts to your credit, surely you can appreciate that you've got to give people a little more to go on than a picture of a fairly ordinary blue shirt. It's like posting to a gourmet forum, saying that you like cooked food, and asking for restaurant suggestions. Just not nearly enough relevant information.
Fair enough. Here's what I mustered this morning to go with my black suit (with a white silk pocket square). I think the color was okay but the skinny tie thing FAILED. My creative mind can only think of black ties (with patterns or dots) to go along with this shirt. What color ties can I go with this?post #21769 of 288765/21/13 at 6:06ampost #21770 of 288765/21/13 at 7:02ampost #21771 of 288765/21/13 at 7:02am
Yes they can. But dinner suits shouldn't have stripes, so maybe get a nicer one. :)Quote:
Impossible to really tell the quality from the picture, and can't tell the size either. But assuming the leather is real, even if it's not the best and a small satchel as suggested above, $100 seems like a good price for anything leather and new-looking.Quote:
3-3.5 is normal really. Pretty safe range for any body shape. Thinner always looks more casual, and to me a bit Justin Bieber; too wide looks like pimp-wear. So stay where you are and you'll be fine. The exception is knitted ties, that are normally rather thinner, but you're on the right track already, don't get hung up on it.
You're a slim man so the first one didn't look "skinny". And it would have been more helpful to see pics with your jacket on. All three are fine, and suitably conservative for any use.post #21772 of 288765/21/13 at 9:44amBought a 2.7 meter end of roll piece of Scabal charcoal grey 100% superfine wool that was a 'bargain' price. Originally thought blazer, then I read about how hard this color blazer is to match and the risk of it looking like an orphan suit jacket. Should I just have a pair of trousers (takes about 2 meters for me) made from this material as this will be a more useful separate.post #21773 of 288765/21/13 at 9:55ampost #21774 of 288765/21/13 at 10:07am
I wouldn't rule out a jacket altogether. I think the trick to make it clearly a separate jacket, is to make it less smart than a suit. Soft shoulders, wide notch lapels, perhaps contrasting buttons, and even something unusual like flapped patch pockets. It can't really be country, which is easier to pull off, because it's so light. But it has a nice texture, and I think if you add a couple of non-suit oddities and keep it less structured, you'll have a very nice summer sports jacket.
Alternatively, nothing wrong in my book with charcoal trousers. Anything grey flannel can do, this can do, especially if you have to be semi-formal in warm weather.post #21775 of 288765/21/13 at 10:15ampost #21776 of 288765/21/13 at 10:17ampost #21777 of 288765/21/13 at 11:27ampost #21778 of 288765/21/13 at 11:58ampost #21779 of 288765/21/13 at 12:02pmQuote:Hard for me to say for sure without seeing the suit in question, but skinny ties are often a less than ideal choice. If you tried it with a skinny tie, and decided it didn't work, then wear it with a non-skinny tie.I think the color was okay but the skinny tie thing FAILED.Quote:Shouldn't a creative mind should be able to think outside the extremely narrow, self-imposed limitation of nothing but a black tie? (Nor, for whatever it's worth, does the combination of a black suit, blue shirt, and black tie, does not strike me as being particularly creative, nor among the better choices for wearing to most work environments.)My creative mind can only think of black ties (with patterns or dots) to go along with this shirt. What color ties can I go with this?
I mean, it's a solid blue shirt. As I said before, many tie colors can potentially work with a solid blue shirt. So can many patterns. There are more possibilities here than there are dishonest politicians in Washington.Quote:Why don't you to to thetiebar.com. I'm not necessarily suggesting you buy some ties from there. I am suggesting that you use the filters there, where you can choose to limit what you're shown by suit color, tie width, etc. And after selecting a tie, you can even see a picture of what it would look like when paired with shirts and jackets of different colors. (I don't remember whether "black" is one of the jacket color choices, but if not, I'm sure charcoal is. And that's close enough to give you some idea. I think that "blue" is one of the shirt color choices.)What color ties can I go with this?
Do this, to kick start your creativity out of the "must be black" rut into which it's currently trapped. You'll be presented with hundreds of ties, in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Maybe that'll get you to thinking outside the very tiny box in which your creativity is currently trapped.
Wearing a black suit, skinny black tie, and blue shirt, to work, is just such a horrible idea. (Yeah, I know I said I'd skip over that part, but I gave you a nicely thought out, hopefully somewhat helpful answer. So I felt entitled in rewarding myself with an expression of hatred for a look which truly offends my sensibilities.)post #21780 of 288765/21/13 at 12:03pm
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › 2014 50 Book Challenge 29 seconds ago
- › Hickey Freeman Sportcoat 44R WOW. PRICE DROP 9/30 2 minutes ago
- › Mezlan Summer Loafers 10D. PRICE DROP 9/30 3 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 4 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 4 minutes ago
- › WTB Black Scissors Doherty BS113 Leather Jacket size Large 6 minutes ago
- › Samsonite briefcase vs Kenneth Cole Briefcase? HELP! 8 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 8 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 8 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...