or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1441

post #21601 of 28324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjangoKill View Post

Just wondering what these folds at the bottom of the pants are called?
Are you referring to the fact that his pants are cuffed?

Cuffs at the bottom of pants legs are quite common. There are various guidelines - are the pants pleated or flat-front, are they dress or casual, are they heavyweight or lightweight, etc. - regarding whether to get pants cuffed, but often it comes down to "Do you like cuffs?" (then get cuffs), or "Do you dislike cuffs?" (in which case, don't get cuffs). There are also differences of opinion as to how wide cuffs should be.

Personally, I have all my dress pants cuffed. I usually don't get corduroys or chinos cuffed. I usually prefer a cuff width of about 1.75".

Aside from looks, cuffs can add some weight to the bottom of the pants leg, permitting the pants to hang somewhat better.

I'm just touching very superficially upon the topic. Doubtless, there are at least hundreds (perhaps more) of SF posts having to do with pant cuffs. You can google them, if you're interested.
post #21602 of 28324
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


Are you referring to the fact that his pants are cuffed?

Cuffs at the bottom of pants legs are quite common. There are various guidelines - are the pants pleated or flat-front, are they dress or casual, are they heavyweight or lightweight, etc. - regarding whether to get pants cuffed, but often it comes down to "Do you like cuffs?" (then get cuffs), or "Do you dislike cuffs?" (in which case, don't get cuffs). There are also differences of opinion as to how wide cuffs should be.

Personally, I have all my dress pants cuffed. I usually don't get corduroys or chinos cuffed. I usually prefer a cuff width of about 1.75".

Aside from looks, cuffs can add some weight to the bottom of the pants leg, permitting the pants to hang somewhat better.

I'm just touching very superficially upon the topic. Doubtless, there are at least hundreds (perhaps more) of SF posts having to do with pant cuffs. You can google them, if you're interested.

Hello. THank you for answering. The cuffs was what I was referring too, yes. 

I recently bought me a new suit without cuffs. I guess there is no way to add cuffs if the pants doesn't have extra material to use? These pants fits me perfect.

post #21603 of 28324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjangoKill View Post

Hello. THank you for answering. The cuffs was what I was referring too, yes. 

I recently bought me a new suit without cuffs. I guess there is no way to add cuffs if the pants doesn't have extra material to use? These pants fits me perfect.


Look inside of the bottom of your pants.  If there is enough extra fabric it may be possible.  Your best bet is to take the pants to a tailor and ask them.  Typically, dress pants come with the legs unfinished.  This allows the pants to be hemmed to the exact length and, of course, cuffed. 

As always, fit is everything.  Don't sacrifice fit in order to have a certain look. 


Edited by AmericanGent - 5/10/13 at 9:58pm
post #21604 of 28324

 

 

Do any of these belts look okay for formal-wear? I'm guessing that they are casual only.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1115468767/trakline-a-new-kind-of-belt-for-men?ref=category

post #21605 of 28324

I'm buying a wallet in ebene brown. 

 

Does anyone know what color is Ebene brown or what it looks like?

post #21606 of 28324
Quote:
Originally Posted by kloss View Post





Do any of these belts look okay for formal-wear? I'm guessing that they are casual only.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1115468767/trakline-a-new-kind-of-belt-for-men?ref=category

I'm not a fan myself, even for casual wear. A little too "Jersey Shore" for my tastes; but that's just me.
post #21607 of 28324

So first meeting with my customers for my new sales engineering job. Most people in my position wear Dockers and a button down or polo. I have decided I don't want to dress like that and plan on at least wearing jackets (no ties) at first and hopefully add ties later. Anyway for the first meeting I have 3 jackets to choose from, a Navy, solid brown and a brown plaid. My slacks choices are limited due to some extra weight I found over the winter, so I have an olive, gray, and taupe. I have most dress shirt patterns, amazingly enough I discovered of my 15 dress shirts I don't have a single plain white. But I have stripes, checks, pink, lt. blue, french blue etc... For shoes I have a new pair of AE 5th Avenues. Any thought on how I can put that into a decent look? Below is a picture of the brown plaid jacket from the ebay picture when I bought it. I have worn the jacket once to work and it needs to be taken in at the waist, but length and sleeves are perfect.

 

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

post #21608 of 28324
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post

For affordable ties, Lands' End (with discount) are good.
Thanks, but I work in Singapore, Lands End is in-accessible, local BB ties are like $100+ SGD (wtf) and basically good menswear here has a markup of 50%-80% over american prices.

Edit: Found that Tyrwhitt offers a good price. 2 for 40 pounds.
Edited by Flame - 5/11/13 at 12:16pm
post #21609 of 28324

@kloss - Don't buy any of those belts

 

@Snowking - a Google search suggests it's a color exclusive to LV. I think it's the darker of the two in the LV check.

 

@Shoeluv - light blue would work better than white anyway. Depends on the shade of gray, but olive and taupe might not provide enough contrast (for the brown). Provided your shoes aren't black, do the navy with gray slacks and a light blue shirt. And buy a tie.

post #21610 of 28324

Okay, thanks for the replies. I'm new to this stuff. They had a good idea with the track closure but I do agree that the buckle looks tacky.

 

What about the charcoal cardigan here?

 

I don't have any cardigans yet so I'm hoping that this one is versatile enough to become a staple in my wardrobe. Can you see any problems that I may have missed?

 

1000

 

 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/naadamcashmere/naadam-nomadic-cashmere

There is a picture that shows the cardigan from the side and back on that page, but it is merged into a huge pic with other garments so I didn't post it. There is also a video of it as well.

 

 

There was more information in the comments page.

Quote:
Naadam garments are generally between 2-4 ply and between 7-12 gauge but it depends on the type of garment we are creating.
 
at Naadam we only use between 15-16 microns.

 

Any comments about the quality? I know it doesn't approach Brunello Cucinelli, but is it likely to be worth $200?
 

post #21611 of 28324
Quote:
Originally Posted by kloss View Post

Okay, thanks for the replies. I'm new to this stuff. They had a good idea with the track closure but I do agree that the buckle looks tacky.

What about the charcoal cardigan here?

I don't have any cardigans yet so I'm hoping that this one is versatile enough to become a staple in my wardrobe. Can you see any problems that I may have missed?

1000



http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/naadamcashmere/naadam-nomadic-cashmere
There is a picture that shows the cardigan from the side and back on that page, but it is merged into a huge pic with other garments so I didn't post it. There is also a video of it as well.


There was more information in the comments page.

Any comments about the quality? I know it doesn't approach Brunello Cucinelli, but is it likely to be worth $200?

 

No way to tell you about the quality. They're a complete unknown. It could be crap, it could be wonderful, and until you got the product in your hands, you would have no way of knowing. 2 ply yarn is a good sign, and they talk the talk, but..

As for the fit, I don't like how high up that top button is, the top one they actually have closed should be as far as they go. But that's minor, and subject to individual taste. In terms of color, Charcoal is fine, unless you wear a lot of charcoal or black pants, in which case you would be better off with the light gray or one of the colors. Head to toe in the same color can be quite awkward outside of suits, so avoid that. The other thing I'd caution you on is fit. Those are cut pretty closely to the body- if your figure is not ideal, you may not fit into them very well, though sweaters do have some give. But if you are a fit guy, that's likely to be one of the best fitting sweaters you'll find.

You would be running a risk on the quality, though I suspect that you'll get something of reasonable quality, if not exceptional, at a minimum. Certainly, I don't think you're going to wind up with an H&M level of quality here. So a risk, but not too big of one. The fit is either going to work for you or not, and your choice of color is fine. As a matter of fact, any of those colors would be fine.
post #21612 of 28324
Gingham is already on the casual end of the "dress shirt" spectrum. The buttons don't really make that much difference. I love gingham and wear shirts under sweaters, with suits or with jeans. It is versatile but never formal. Just my opinion- I could be wrong.
Welcome to SF.
post #21613 of 28324
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveredarb View Post

Hi, new to the forum.  I have a quick question about button colors on dress shirts, especially a gingham style shirt. I feel like a button that matches the shirt could throw in some visual appeal.  Also, I personally don't like wearing gingham shirts without jackets due to the pattern seeming over used (if that makes any sense). 

Do the buttons on the shirt above seem too casual for a dress shirt? Is there any rule of thumb for dress shirt button colors? Not really a fan of the company or anything, just saw this and couldn't help but like that the buttons break the pattern a bit.  Thanks for the help

The buttons, and the shirt itself are very casual.
For buttons, I prefer this MOP, but since I only wear white and light blue dress shirts, I'm not sure if it could work with other shirt colors.

post #21614 of 28324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

@kloss - Don't buy any of those belts

 

@Snowking - a Google search suggests it's a color exclusive to LV. I think it's the darker of the two in the LV check.

 

@Shoeluv - light blue would work better than white anyway. Depends on the shade of gray, but olive and taupe might not provide enough contrast (for the brown). Provided your shoes aren't black, do the navy with gray slacks and a light blue shirt. And buy a tie.


Thanks for the advise, I actually own many beautiful ties I would just be seriously overdressed wearing them. When your client is wearing jeans and Polo's you do not rock a drakes 7 fold or they may be wondering exactly how large your commission is... mwink[1].gif

post #21615 of 28324
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post


Not the Fifth Avenue, that one only has brogueing at the toe cap.

This is a strange beast... It's like a Strand without the medallion on the toe. Even looks like it's on the same 5 last.


I am guessing it is the Benton, see this catalog for a picture in Chili. http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/fall-2000-catalog?mode=window&pageNumber=1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here