or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1412

post #21166 of 29411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post

+1. I was going to suggest almost exactly the same, except with FU trousers (e.g. bright orange) rather than grey biggrin.gif
Best to wear only one ugly/whimsical/FU clothing item at a time. And the tie already occupies that niche.
post #21167 of 29411
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrilos81 View Post

Hey guys I'm attending a horse race in a week and I was given this tie as a gift to wear.  Any suggestions as to what to match it with?  Blue or white blazer?  Shirt and pants color, pocket square?  It's a rather preppy event.  Get creative and thank you.

 

 

I'll have to respectfully disagree with what people are writing here.  While it might be an out of favor or funky color, ties are there to have fun with!  If we all followed boring rules all the time, who would have an individual sense of style, ever!  This could go great with a Navy Jacket, fitted blue jeans, a tucked in pink shirt, as pink complements green and there is pink in the tie.  And you could top it off with a neutral color like brown loafers and pink or green socks to match with the tie!  Would look great, you'd get a ton of compliments and you'd have a fantastic time with it!  For more information on how to mix and match ties with your shirts, and on color theory, check out the following two links on my men's formalwear fashion blog:

 

http://suitupdressup.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/cravats-untied/

http://suitupdressup.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/charlie-and-the-color-factory/

 

Hope this helps.  Please feel free to message me with any questions!

post #21168 of 29411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post

When gravitas1 stated that the watch in question was not an automatic, I took it to mean that it was a manual winding non-automatic watch (a perfectly fine type of mechanical movement) - not that it was quartz.

You could be right about that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a quartz though as Cartier does make their tanks in quartz varieties too.
post #21169 of 29411

Question about shoe trees and rotation:

 

I was told to not wear shoes two days in a row, and to let shoes "dry" for 24 hours before putting in shoe trees

 

If I plan on having two pairs of shoes and alternating their wear daily, then I would never end up putting in shoe trees, save for weekends and other gaps?

post #21170 of 29411
No, put the shoe trees in as soon as they come off your foot. Either your foot or the trees should be in the shoe at all times.

And yes, don't wear shoes twice in a row.
post #21171 of 29411
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

No, put the shoe trees in as soon as they come off your foot. Either your foot or the trees should be in the shoe at all times.

And yes, don't wear shoes twice in a row.

Isn't there some benefit to letting them air out? What is the harm in not having a tree in them for 24 hours?
post #21172 of 29411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

Isn't there some benefit to letting them air out? What is the harm in not having a tree in them for 24 hours?

They get damp as you wear them. When you put the trees in, they fill up the shoes and stretch them back into shape as they dry.
post #21173 of 29411
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post

They get damp as you wear them. When you put the trees in, they fill up the shoes and stretch them back into shape as they dry.

Right. Leave the trees out, and you get worse wrinkles. Also, the trees help suck the moisture out of the shoe.
post #21174 of 29411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBru75 View Post

Just wanted to bump this as it being my first post it was held up.

Need some help!

Only bumping this because it was held up again and I'm pretty sure I'm considered a "real" person now. smile.gif


Edit: Damnit...sorry bumped the wrong quote but if a vet could check my earlier post out I'd be much obliged!
post #21175 of 29411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBru75 View Post

Just wanted to bump this as it being my first post it was held up.

Need some help!

Yes on the shoes to wear with a cane and a long white beard. Otherwise, I'd pass.
Please let us know where you live. That will affect the choice of default items to get. As for shoes, go buy some Allen Edmonds on sale, check the PSA thread. Also, get the $200-$300 shoes from herringshoes.co.uk or similar sites. Look for irregulars and seconds, if you're on a budget. If you're fine buying used shoes, I'd recommend sticking to the SF marketplace for now.

Edit: Also, it's mahogany, not mahogeny. A gentleman knows how to spell, not just which shoes to wear.
post #21176 of 29411
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post

Yes on the shoes to wear with a cane and a long white beard. Otherwise, I'd pass.
Please let us know where you live. That will affect the choice of default items to get. As for shoes, go buy some Allen Edmonds on sale, check the PSA thread. Also, get the $200-$300 shoes from herringshoes.co.uk or similar sites. Look for irregulars and seconds, if you're on a budget. If you're fine buying used shoes, I'd recommend sticking to the SF marketplace for now.

Edit: Also, it's mahogany, not mahogeny. A gentleman knows how to spell, not just which shoes to wear.

Tooshay! wink.gif

Thank you very much for the insight. Exactly what I'm looking for. Much appreciated.
post #21177 of 29411
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAsia View Post

I'll have to respectfully disagree with what people are writing here.  While it might be an out of favor or funky color, ties are there to have fun with!  If we all followed boring rules all the time, who would have an individual sense of style, ever!  This could go great with a Navy Jacket, fitted blue jeans, a tucked in pink shirt, as pink complements green and there is pink in the tie.  And you could top it off with a neutral color like brown loafers and pink or green socks to match with the tie!  Would look great, you'd get a ton of compliments and you'd have a fantastic time with it!  For more information on how to mix and match ties with your shirts, and on color theory, check out the following two links on my men's formalwear fashion blog:

 

http://suitupdressup.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/cravats-untied/

http://suitupdressup.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/charlie-and-the-color-factory/

 

Hope this helps.  Please feel free to message me with any questions!

 

I respect your position, but being noticed/complimented is not the same as being respected.  And just because something is acceptable, doesn't make it right.  To elaborate on my previously stated position: this is the Style Forum.  Advice is surely being sought as to what would be considered "stylish".  Not fashionable, innovative or humorous.  There is absolutely no context in the realm of classic gentlemen's dress in which this monstrosity might be considered "stylish".  It is a lime green horror with pink animals on it.  Children would cringe.

 

I'm not at all against a bit of colour, dandyness and peacockery, and am indeed guilty of all.  But I'm afraid this one goes in the same bag as novelty waistcoats and clip-on bow ties with dinner dress, or T-shirts with "all I got was this lousy...etc.." slogans.  Everyone has an aunt who might think it amusing after too many sherries when some worse-for-wear, red-faced, perspiring post-adolescent stumbles up to her on the dance floor at a low-class wedding reception, wearing such a thing.  But it goes with plastic square-toed loafers and cheap cider.

 

It is simply not the attire of a gentleman.  Let alone a stylish one. :)

 

(P.S. I like your blog)

post #21178 of 29411

Thoughts on these Johnston and Murphys? I know the brand isnt highly regarded here but its leather soled with a goodyear stitch, and even cheaper than the charles tyrwhitt oxfords:

 

http://www.zappos.com/johnston-murphy-melton-bourdeaux-brushed-veal?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_acc

 

post #21179 of 29411
I'd try to find a deal on some Aldens, but the style is good.
post #21180 of 29411
I'm not positive, but I think those are the J&Ms that are made of corrected grain leather, even though they have the other hallmarks of quality that you noticed. I'd avoid them.

(I could be wrong. The description says "calfskin.")
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here