....no....I can't think of anyone who'd make that look good. LML
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Yesterday at 1:38 am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN Hall of Fame: pre-2010 Last post on 7/27/14 at 11:09am in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1402
Styleforum Top Pickspost #21017 of 288874/9/13 at 10:45ampost #21018 of 288874/9/13 at 11:58ampost #21019 of 288874/9/13 at 9:23pmpost #21020 of 288874/9/13 at 9:52pmpost #21021 of 288874/9/13 at 9:58pmpost #21022 of 288874/9/13 at 10:15pm
First time poster here.
I found a perfect condition Oxxford sport coat at a thrift store recently. It's part of their Crittenden Collection, made for Wilkes Bashford. The only problem is that I'm a 42L and the sport coat is 44L, so it seems a little big. Having a sweater underneath helps a little bit but I can't shake off the feeling that it is, indeed, a little big, especially at the chest and maybe half an inch or so at the shoulder. Also seems a little long, but when I measured the length it seems no longer than my other sportcoats. The question is, can it be 'fixed' by a tailor? Is it worth it? I'm sure many here can relate to it, but I just found it hard to leave the jacket behind.
Thanks!post #21023 of 288874/9/13 at 10:40pmReosymes, no matter how handsome it may be, or how great a bargain its price, if a sport coat or suit jacket doesn't fit, I pass on it. Because, ultimately, proper fit trumps all.
Sure, a size 44 could be "fixed" to fit a size 42 person. But to do it well would involve a fair amount of money, and finding a tailor more skilled than most. ("Most" are good enough to cuff pants or shorten sleeves. This is a whole 'nother matter.) And even then, it's just not likely to be worth it.
If the sport coat's that great, buy it and put it up for sale on eBay. In your listing, emphasize its perfect condition and so forth. Then take whatever profit you made off of it, and buy yourself a sport coat that's your correct size, and one which doesn't seem a little long. 42L is a common size; you'll have no difficulty finding plenty of wonderful previously owned sport coats that fit you.post #21024 of 288874/9/13 at 10:54pmdo you already have a competent tailor that you work with? the tailor will be the best person to ask
i have a good alteration tailor that i have been working with for 2.5 years now and he knows how i like my jacket and pants to fit
and he tells me whether something is possible for him or not
and whether he is confident about the resultspost #21025 of 288874/9/13 at 11:01pmpost #21026 of 288874/9/13 at 11:08pmpost #21027 of 288874/10/13 at 5:34am
Anyone got a link to a retailer which carries this jacket?
It's a RLPL sheepskin (shearling?) jacket, sported by MoL around the forums. Was thinking of asking Luxire to do something similar, but it would be nice to have more pictures of it. I searched MoLs website but couldn't find it there.post #21028 of 288874/10/13 at 6:26am
First post, and I just stumbled on this forum yesterday while deciding to make the plunge into style. There are... a lot of rules to keep in mind, and as such I figured my best bet would be to ask if I was on the right track before taking the dive on a purchase.
At the moment, I don't have any of my own suits. I have some that have been passed down, they're in decent shape, but, well, they're old and don't fit right. All around not working. Since this is my first purchase and first legitimate suit, I want to make sure its something that will be functional for a long time, in a lot of situations, as it will be my go-to for a while until I'm able to build up some good income for more.
I've noted a couple things - Navy/Charcoal is the standard, with some back-and-forth on the shoe matches, but most tend to agree with darker browns / burgundy. I've seen some really good things about Benjamin Sartorial, so I'm hoping to go with him for the suit. That said, he has no Charcoal in my size (44R), only Gunmetal, so I'm leaning toward Navy.
Suits I'm looking at:
Shoes I'm looking at:
Which suit would be best for a first-purchase? Are these shoes considered decent (I'm not finding as much info on that end)? Thanks in advance, I'm hoping to get things purchased quickly.post #21029 of 288874/10/13 at 9:25amQuote:
You took the wrong message from that post, especially given your complete lack of knowledge about the local tailors. It will end in tears and cost you a minimum of a hundred bucks. Buy the coat, sell it on e-bay, get one in the right size.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 3 minutes ago
- › Introduce yourself. 5 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 7 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 7 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 12 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 14 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 14 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 18 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...