....no....I can't think of anyone who'd make that look good. LML
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Today at 1:01 pm in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN Hall of Fame: pre-2010 Last post on 7/27/14 at 11:09am in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1402
Styleforum Top Pickspost #21017 of 293694/9/13 at 10:45ampost #21018 of 293694/9/13 at 11:58ampost #21019 of 293694/9/13 at 9:23pmpost #21020 of 293694/9/13 at 9:52pmpost #21021 of 293694/9/13 at 9:58pmpost #21022 of 293694/9/13 at 10:15pm
First time poster here.
I found a perfect condition Oxxford sport coat at a thrift store recently. It's part of their Crittenden Collection, made for Wilkes Bashford. The only problem is that I'm a 42L and the sport coat is 44L, so it seems a little big. Having a sweater underneath helps a little bit but I can't shake off the feeling that it is, indeed, a little big, especially at the chest and maybe half an inch or so at the shoulder. Also seems a little long, but when I measured the length it seems no longer than my other sportcoats. The question is, can it be 'fixed' by a tailor? Is it worth it? I'm sure many here can relate to it, but I just found it hard to leave the jacket behind.
Thanks!post #21023 of 293694/9/13 at 10:40pmReosymes, no matter how handsome it may be, or how great a bargain its price, if a sport coat or suit jacket doesn't fit, I pass on it. Because, ultimately, proper fit trumps all.
Sure, a size 44 could be "fixed" to fit a size 42 person. But to do it well would involve a fair amount of money, and finding a tailor more skilled than most. ("Most" are good enough to cuff pants or shorten sleeves. This is a whole 'nother matter.) And even then, it's just not likely to be worth it.
If the sport coat's that great, buy it and put it up for sale on eBay. In your listing, emphasize its perfect condition and so forth. Then take whatever profit you made off of it, and buy yourself a sport coat that's your correct size, and one which doesn't seem a little long. 42L is a common size; you'll have no difficulty finding plenty of wonderful previously owned sport coats that fit you.post #21024 of 293694/9/13 at 10:54pmdo you already have a competent tailor that you work with? the tailor will be the best person to ask
i have a good alteration tailor that i have been working with for 2.5 years now and he knows how i like my jacket and pants to fit
and he tells me whether something is possible for him or not
and whether he is confident about the resultspost #21025 of 293694/9/13 at 11:01pmpost #21026 of 293694/9/13 at 11:08pmpost #21027 of 293694/10/13 at 5:34am
Anyone got a link to a retailer which carries this jacket?
It's a RLPL sheepskin (shearling?) jacket, sported by MoL around the forums. Was thinking of asking Luxire to do something similar, but it would be nice to have more pictures of it. I searched MoLs website but couldn't find it there.post #21028 of 293694/10/13 at 6:26am
First post, and I just stumbled on this forum yesterday while deciding to make the plunge into style. There are... a lot of rules to keep in mind, and as such I figured my best bet would be to ask if I was on the right track before taking the dive on a purchase.
At the moment, I don't have any of my own suits. I have some that have been passed down, they're in decent shape, but, well, they're old and don't fit right. All around not working. Since this is my first purchase and first legitimate suit, I want to make sure its something that will be functional for a long time, in a lot of situations, as it will be my go-to for a while until I'm able to build up some good income for more.
I've noted a couple things - Navy/Charcoal is the standard, with some back-and-forth on the shoe matches, but most tend to agree with darker browns / burgundy. I've seen some really good things about Benjamin Sartorial, so I'm hoping to go with him for the suit. That said, he has no Charcoal in my size (44R), only Gunmetal, so I'm leaning toward Navy.
Suits I'm looking at:
Shoes I'm looking at:
Which suit would be best for a first-purchase? Are these shoes considered decent (I'm not finding as much info on that end)? Thanks in advance, I'm hoping to get things purchased quickly.post #21029 of 293694/10/13 at 9:25amQuote:
You took the wrong message from that post, especially given your complete lack of knowledge about the local tailors. It will end in tears and cost you a minimum of a hundred bucks. Buy the coat, sell it on e-bay, get one in the right size.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 2 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › VOTE NOW!!! SW&D CHALLENGE ––LONG COAT PLAY (& THINGY) - 12/03/14... 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › Introduce yourself. 10 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 12 minutes ago
- › Finding a first real suit in a sartorial wasteland 13 minutes ago
- › Things i dont understand 13 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...