I wasn't upset.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best stuff for spring and summer? Last post on 12/27/12 at 3:02am in Streetwear and Denim
- Mr. Porter Last post on 8/28/12 at 4:18pm in Classic Menswear
- When is 3 Piece Suit appropriate Last post on 7/3/13 at 6:13am in Classic Menswear
- What To Wear With Linen Pants Last post on 7/22/11 at 10:18am in Streetwear and Denim
- Dressing to look taller? Last post on 10/17/13 at 8:49pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Bison Made
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Four Horsemen Shop
- GABE Tailored
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Hiras Fashion
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Upstate Stock
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1387
Styleforum Top Pickspost #20792 of 250693/18/13 at 8:48amQuote:Originally Posted by mans72
Hi, I'm trying to identify the fabric of this beautiful suit.
Can anyone help me either identify it or the best way to describe this type of fabric/suit?
Colorwise - is this what one calls "Oxford grey"?
Probably newbie questions, but trying to educate myself ;)
Hoping this is the right place for this question..
Thanks in advance :)
This looks to me like it is a simple worsted wool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worsted), perhaps a sharkskin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharkskin), with the color just called mid grey. Just FYI, most suits are made from wool and most of them are worsteds. Here is a good start for fabric decoding:post #20793 of 250693/18/13 at 10:53ampost #20794 of 250693/18/13 at 11:00am
The 'saleperson' is the usual. A liar telling you anything to make a buck.
Break in a gap like that? No.
And that gap is grossly wide and ugly.
I prefer mine quite tight and I have seen a few that prefer a bit less so that is still alright
but what you have is........not good.
Do not buy or do return.post #20795 of 250693/18/13 at 11:05ampost #20796 of 250693/18/13 at 11:25ampost #20797 of 250693/18/13 at 11:31amQuote:
Can you get to a Allen Edmonds store? They can fit you properly and make sure you get correct "last" for you foot's shape.post #20798 of 250693/18/13 at 11:50amQuote:A simple list, such as you initially requested, is not practical. This is due to the fact that different shoes have different strengths, weaknesses, design elements, construction elements, etc. And that different people will tend to weigh the choices and trade-offs differently, based on personal biases, situational needs, stylistic concerns, financial constraints, etc.
This does not mean that there aren't some things which are strongly associated with excellent shoe quality, and others which are strongly associated with disappointing shoe quality. But these associations are insufficient to permit a simple "Shoe Quality Checklist." It's similar to how there is no simple checklist which can be used to determine whether two items of clothing "go well together" and should be worn together, for all that there are various empirical rules and associations which can be of value in determining an answer to this question.
Ultimately, if you want to know how to tell good shoes from not-so-good shoes, you'll have to put in the time and effort of reviewing some of the very many posts and threads which involve such discussion. You will also have to gain some understanding as to what it is that you want in a given pair of shoes, for a given situation. And then, you'll be able to make up your mind (well, most of the time).
Michaelpost #20799 of 250693/18/13 at 12:05pmpost #20800 of 250693/18/13 at 12:21pmQuote:These things have been discussed endlessly on SF. Old discussions are archived and readily available. Do some searches and start reading.
If that's too much effort, Google "What makes a shoe good," click on some of the results, and read them.
The information you say you want is not in any way difficult to find.post #20801 of 250693/18/13 at 12:26pmpost #20802 of 250693/18/13 at 12:53pmpost #20803 of 250693/18/13 at 1:12pmpost #20804 of 250693/18/13 at 1:18pmpost #20805 of 250693/18/13 at 1:27pmQuote:
Best way to find out is to fit a pair on, esp since you have access to an AE store. When buying shoes there is no substitute for an in store fitting with a knowledgeable sales assistant.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › NIKE Thread 42 seconds ago
- › Australian Members 1 minute ago
- › Isaia Pants sale- Isaia Dress Corduroy Pants, Isaia Casual Heavy... 2 minutes ago
- › Stunning BNWT DSquared "Twins" Print Cotton-Linen Blend Tee - Free... 3 minutes ago
- › Carmina black split toe Loafer 9.5E (10US), Laszlo Vass black Alt... 5 minutes ago
- › The Perfect Double Breasted Blazer 8 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 9 minutes ago
- › Common Project BBall His - Vintage/White - Size 40 17 minutes ago
- › Beautiful Balenciaga Patchwork Lowtops - Free FedEx Shipping 18 minutes ago
- › Do you guys wear walnut color shoes in the winter? 20 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › Herschel Ravine Black/Tan FA 12 by pfmicks
- › Vans Footwear The Barbour Classic Slip On Sneaker,10.5,Green by ATLnoob
- › Berg & Berg unlined silk bow tie (SS'13) by MTB-85
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by ahilal
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw