or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1375

post #20611 of 29352

Hey guys, I am looking for a pair of leather shoes for daily casual wear, mostly to school. I would wear it with navy and light gray chinos and jeans. Do you think that these shoes are suitable choice? Thanks a lot! http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/uk/en/zara-neu-S2013/358060/1048118/SMOOTH%20LEATHER%20BLUCHER

post #20612 of 29352

Hi

 

Flying  Monkey posted a pic in the wayrn thread today and said he was wearing a needle-collar shirt with collar pin. I understand the collar pin part, but why does he call it a needle-collar shirt?. I have never heard of that term before. I Added the pic for ease of reference. Please educate me?

 

 

 

 

post #20613 of 29352

Got some alden shoes that are snug...very snug

 

http://dailycrazed.net/personal/alden1.jpg

http://dailycrazed.net/personal/alden2.jpg

 

I'm not worried about the bow, but the intense restriction feeling sorta kinda kills me. I know they're new and can be stretched, but for $500 I don't want to be in pain/lose circulation if I wear them all day. thoughts on amount of break-in/give? Store said I could return/have them stretched if need be. Right now, the worst part is the front of the heel (the line is digging into my foot making it tingle a bit)

 

the store ordered them very narrow for my feet. they fit snug--maybe too snug.

post #20614 of 29352
Seems like you need a wider shoe, not just stretching.
post #20615 of 29352

walked on treadmill for 20 minutes. not bad, but still a little pinchy on that pinky toe.

post #20616 of 29352

Agree with aravenel's assessment.  Width doesn't seem appropriate.

post #20617 of 29352

10-4. I'll head back tomorrow and ask if I can try a size wider since my toes are kinda cramped/my pinky makes the shoe bulge at the pinky.

 

I guess for future reference: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/surgery/divisions/Podiatry/Pages/ProperShoeFittingTechniques.aspx

 

edit: thanks yall


Edited by CrAz3D - 3/4/13 at 8:20pm
post #20618 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJohny View Post

Hey guys, I am looking for a pair of leather shoes for daily casual wear, mostly to school. I would wear it with navy and light gray chinos and jeans. Do you think that these shoes are suitable choice? Thanks a lot! http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/uk/en/zara-neu-S2013/358060/1048118/SMOOTH%20LEATHER%20BLUCHER

 

No.  They are ugly, glued together, in awful leather.  Basically, utter dog shit.

 

If you can increase your budget, spell it out here and we will give suggestions.  If you can't, and £50 is the limit, then the only thing approaching "proper" shoes that I have come across for that money is here.

 

Still crappy leather, but they are a proper welted construction, and in the sale items you could maybe afford two pairs to alternate.  With your wardrobe I'd suggest a tan pair and a brown suede would give you the best options (£75 total for both pairs with their special offer).  But if it's just the one pair and staying within the price of the horror you showed us, and you want to stay close in style, then maybe this, which considering it's cheaper than the minger from Zara, is really quite a nice looking shoe.  A decent polish and you'll be away.  Good luck.

post #20619 of 29352
Quick question: is it a fashion disaster to wear a tie with a button shirt that has a left breast pocket?
post #20620 of 29352

Do blackwatch blazers go with JUST black pants? No dark khaki or blue?

post #20621 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheereos View Post

Quick question: is it a fashion disaster to wear a tie with a button shirt that has a left breast pocket?
No.

BTW, I will assume that by "button shirt," you mean a shirt with a button-down collar. Since the alternate explanation - that by "button shirt" you simply meant a shirt with a row of 7 or 8 buttons down the front, as opposed to a t-shirt, polo shirt, sweat shirt, etc. - makes little sense. After all, how many people here would have to ask if it's a fashion disaster to wear a tie with a t-shirt, polo shirt, or sweat shirt? (It is, of course, ridiculous. Or, since someone on SF could probably dig up a photo of some demi-celebrity wearing a tie with a polo shirt, and would claim that it could look good, let's just say that for 99% of people, 99% of the time, it'd be ridiculous.)

This button-down collar issue is relevant, to a degree, in that some people hold that it's less than desirable to wear a tie with a shirt having a button down collar. This is not a universal opinion, and its acceptance can vary to an extent based on a number of factors, such as geographic area, social class, profession, age, type of tie, etc.

I would also note that (1) while some purists certainly prefer that a tie only be worn with a dress shirt, and that a dress shirt not have a breast pocket, by no means does violating this standard rise to the level of fashion disaster, for more than a relatively small minority of people; and (2) a significant percentage of people would hold that wearing a tie mandates that you also wear a suit/sportcoat/blazer or just possibly a sweater. That is, wearing a tie with a shirt (with our without a breast pocket), without a suit, a sportcoat, a blazer, or perhaps a sweater, will often be viewed with disfavor.
--
Michael
post #20622 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheereos View Post

Quick question: is it a fashion disaster to wear a tie with a button shirt that has a left breast pocket?

 

I agree with Michael above.  The orthodox dress shirt does not have a button down collar, or a breast pocket.  But particularly in the US, both are really quite common, and the rule isn't carved in stone: I think the texture of the shirt is more important.  A heavy oxford weave, twill or flannel with a button-down collar just wouldn't be right for a dress shirt.  With a normal collar, such heavy fabrics would really only work with country tweeds and the like.  But anything with double or contrast stitch seams, buttoned pockets etc., is too casual.  And possibly horrible.

 

But if the fabric of the shirt is lighter, smoother, more dressy in itself, then why not?  I think particularly with a blazer of sports jacket, it can work quite nicely as a "preppy" look - light blue or white would be the obvious choices, in that order.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

Do blackwatch blazers go with JUST black pants? No dark khaki or blue?

 

No dark khaki or blue, definitely.  And it's "Black Watch" as in the tartan of "The Black Watch" - a historic Scottish regiment of the British Army.

 

But I wouldn't say black is the best option for trousers to match either, necessarily.  Try a medium or light grey flannel and a light blue shirt.  It's a very strong pattern so go simple with the tie, and maybe not bother with a pocket square at all.  

post #20623 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

 

No dark khaki or blue, definitely.  And it's "Black Watch" as in the tartan of "The Black Watch" - a historic Scottish regiment of the British Army.

 

But I wouldn't say black is the best option for trousers to match either, necessarily.  Try a medium or light grey flannel and a light blue shirt.  It's a very strong pattern so go simple with the tie, and maybe not bother with a pocket square at all.  

Thanks Mimo. I was thinking of adding the PS question to my post. I had the same idea.

 

Just to be sure, are you saying I'm wrong and dark khaki/blue DO work, or no, don't wear them with Black Watch?

 

I found a Black Watch Z Zegna SC that fits rather perfect except the sleeves. I know Z Zegna is frowned upon but it feels too good, and fits too great, to pass up on. Patch pockets, double vented, slimmer in the waist, half lined (great for AZ).. too perfect.

post #20624 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

Thanks Mimo. I was thinking of adding the PS question to my post. I had the same idea.

 

Just to be sure, are you saying I'm wrong and dark khaki/blue DO work, or no, don't wear them with Black Watch?

 

I found a Black Watch Z Zegna SC that fits rather perfect except the sleeves. I know Z Zegna is frowned upon but it feels too good, and fits too great, to pass up on. Patch pockets, double vented, slimmer in the waist, half lined (great for AZ).. too perfect.

 

I'm saying don't wear khaki or blue with it.  I mean, maybe you could get away with a really dark navy in a heavier fabric, but some kind of grey I'm sure will be the best option.

 

It's an awesome pattern though - sounds like a real "FU" jacket.  If it fits and you love it, go for it!  

post #20625 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

^Suit Supply?
Thanks, never heard of this site. Most of the suits looks too flashy to me though. In the fall/winter do they have tweeds and the like?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here