or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1374

post #20596 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceBoogie View Post

Hey,

 

Planning on wearing the overcoat over a suit only.

I live in NYC so winters can get cold sometimes.

 

I prefer peak lapel but notch lapels are fine too, ticket pocket if possible. 

 

http://michaelandrewsbespoke.com/menswear/overcoats/

 

one on the left is something i'd buy.

 

As far as colors go: black, grey, navy, brown, tan, just nothing too bright or out there.


It may be difficult finding one now that the winter season is almost done. With that said and with that price you may find a decent overcoat at any upscale department store (like sacks or barneys; it may be on sale due to the time of year), paul stuart (on sale) or go to the ever dependable Brooks Brothers on madison ave (who i see has a similar one to the picture and happens to be having a sale right now).

post #20597 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Sorry I didn't see this. I have a friend who insists on wearing his cowboy boots with anything from a pinstripe suit to local national dress.  As an Arab and a Texan he's maybe a bit confused, but I think he looks a tool (and tell him).  However, what you're suggesting makes sense to me: the boots are understated, and for anything other than jeans I'd go in that direction definitely.  And the geographical context, although I've never been to AZ, sounds sensible enough.  

At the end of the day, it's not "classic menswear" per se. But as these things go, I think your instincts are relatively tasteful.  No fucking embroidered eagles or confederate flags and you're probably OK.  Personally I'd go perhaps for a lower boot - even a chukka - but if you want something more "southern", then a dealer boot, biker boot or other straight boot with  a straight heel, is I think more tidy and masculine.  I quite like the pic you've posted.  Then how formal it is depends a bit on the material.  Nubuck or suede is great with chinos or jeans.  Calf leather is versatile - polished up for chinos, shirt and jacket, or left dull and scruffy for jeans.  But my pick would be some kind of grain calf that's robust, versatile and an interesting texture.

Ty for the info.
Aside from the 2 stores are there any other ones to browse? I'm familiar with Pediwear

Also is CT sizing accurate on their conversion?

Edit: meant to quote your first point
post #20598 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Tree, unvarnished.  Newspapers are fine for an emergency if your shoes are soaked, otherwise they neither support nor freshen the shoe like trees do.  Varnished trees do keep the shoe's shape, but are a useless and pretentious affectation.  Also, if your trees are not made specifically for your shoes ("lasted"), then there is no real advantage of more expensive ones over cheaper ones:  Go for a full-shaped heel, and unfinished cedarwood - cheap, cheerful and absolutely fine for most shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post


23 US$:




I edit: each!

+1. And to add, you can also get them from Cederville here, for $16, and they often have 10% or 20% off codes available as well.
post #20599 of 29413

AZsundevil, the boots you've got up there aren't bad, but they're a bit more "work" than "western" to my eye. Nobody'll bat an eye at you wearing them, but I think your purpose would be better served with something like this Ariat Heritage Western R Toe. The tooling up the sides is pretty busy, but it's also generally hidden, and the leather will take a nice polish. My recommendation is to not go halfway with it. Either embrace the regional style, or, if it's not you, wear what suits you better.

post #20600 of 29413
Anybody familiar with Barberini? Saw a jacket that looks interesting, but I couldn't find anything from Google or the forum. Searches keep returning discussions of Brioni's store in Rome on Via Barberini. Just wondering if it is a quality brand.
post #20601 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

 

 Also, if your trees are not made specifically for your shoes ("lasted"), then there is no real advantage of more expensive ones over cheaper ones:  Go for a full-shaped heel, and unfinished cedarwood - cheap, cheerful and absolutely fine for most shoes.

Disagree: Not all unlasted trees are made equally. I have $100/pair C&J trees that beautifully fill my shoes from heel to toe, with full instep support and all, while I've found that the basic cedar trees that so often get recommended have too low of an instep, and aren't sufficiently wide around the ball of the foot.

 

Question of my own: This is surely in the shoe care thread somewhere, but I'd like an answer before trawling through hundreds of posts over there. How do you guys go about attaining a mirror shine on your calfskin shoes? I've just had my first experience with Saphir wax, and got a nice shine going on two pairs of my boots, but am having diminishing improvements with each extra coat of wax.

post #20602 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by diglett View Post

Disagree: Not all unlasted trees are made equally. I have $100/pair C&J trees that beautifully fill my shoes from heel to toe, with full instep support and all, while I've found that the basic cedar trees that so often get recommended have too low of an instep, and aren't sufficiently wide around the ball of the foot.

 

Question of my own: This is surely in the shoe care thread somewhere, but I'd like an answer before trawling through hundreds of posts over there. How do you guys go about attaining a mirror shine on your calfskin shoes? I've just had my first experience with Saphir wax, and got a nice shine going on two pairs of my boots, but am having diminishing improvements with each extra coat of wax.

 

That rather depends on the shape of your shoes.  I'm sure C&J shape theirs to be close to their typical house style, but they might not work well in, say, a pair of Allen Edmonds.  But you're right - I've a mixture, and some seem to fill the shoes better than others in general.

 

I don't use Saphir myself, but I'd take a guess that maybe if you've built up quite a bit, it might be time to remove some of it before polishing again.

post #20603 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post


Ty for the info.
Aside from the 2 stores are there any other ones to browse? I'm familiar with Pediwear

Also is CT sizing accurate on their conversion?

Edit: meant to quote your first point

 

Well, it depends what you want.  I mentioned Pediwear because of their method of postage and their good range of cheaper Loake shoes (which I think are the same as the CT-branded ones you quoted).  Two other very good e-shops from the UK are www.herringshoes.co.uk (I've used them too, excellent service), and www.theshoehealer.co.uk, who I haven't used, but have a good reputation.  Both also do Loake, Herring also have their own brand for which Loake make the cheaper ones like CT.  Herring use DHL (last time I bought from them anyway), not sure about Shoe Healer.

 

But if you go back a couple of pages, there are a lot of great shoes out there from different countries, depending on budget.  I just put these three in as retailers of the English style you seem to want, who are easy to deal with.

 

Regarding sizing, I wouldn't like to say: most retailers convert from UK to US sizes by adding one.  In my experience, a lot of the time the difference is only half.  But it really depends on the last, and also the width fitting.  Something similar to the shoe you posted, that I have on Loake's 26 last in a wide fitting, would probably fit a whole size bigger even in a US "E" fitting - it's a generous last.  But don't take that for granted.  Risk the postage and try something you like; if it doesn't fit, try something else.  It's worth it in the end.


Edited by mimo - 3/3/13 at 10:48am
post #20604 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

 

That rather depends on the shape of your shoes.  I'm sure C&J shape theirs to be close to their typical house style, but they might not work well in, say, a pair of Allen Edmonds.  But you're right - I've a mixture, and some seem to fill the shoes better than others in general.

 

I don't use Saphir myself, but I'd take a guess that maybe if you've built up quite a bit, it might be time to remove some of it before polishing again.

I actually don't even own any C&J shoes, but have used (and liked) their trees with both AEs and Carminas on various lasts.

post #20605 of 29413
Anyone have any recommendation for off the rack 3 piece suits? Brooks Brothers barely sells any three pieces. I'm looking for something along the line of the styles they wear on Boardwalk Empire. Every fall Topman sells suits in this style but the quality is terrible.
Edited by Kensington - 3/3/13 at 4:40pm
post #20606 of 29413
^Suit Supply?
post #20607 of 29413

Is this suit canvassed to any degree?

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111016522985?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

 

I can't identify what line it's from(I know it's old though) and I know only their PRESSidential line is canvassed(half).

post #20608 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by diglett View Post

I actually don't even own any C&J shoes, but have used (and liked) their trees with both AEs and Carminas on various lasts.

 

Fair enough, I only have one pair of AE and find the instep quite low.  But my better quality trees are higher, like you said, which is better for the vast majority of my mostly English shoes.  Oh, and the AE trees I have are rubbish!  Thanks for the tip on C&J!

post #20609 of 29413

This doesn't necessarily pertain to any certain type of Classic Menswear, and I apologize in advance because I'm assuming this question must have already been asked hundreds of times and I just cant find it... but are there any good websites for classic menswear that carry a good amount of brands like the ones usually talked about on this site? I know that's quite the generalization, but I can't seem to find any websites that have a really good centralized database of nice clothing for sale. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. Anyways, if anyone knows some good ones please post! Also shipping to Canada is definitely a plus! Thanks smile.gif 

post #20610 of 29413
yoox
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here