or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1348

post #20206 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksne View Post

Where can I find men's underwear (trunks) in size XS for a 27" waist?

 

Depends how much you wish to spend and what type of underwear you want (boxers, briefs, boxer/briefs). Zimerli makes some of the best underwear and their size small fits 26-30 size waists. You can find them a at a few different places online:

 

store.asuitablewardrobe.net/purenessclosedflyelasticwaistbandpant.aspx

http://www.customshirt1.com/ZM252_01Boxers.htm

 

If you want something really cheap, buy any small and throw it in the washer with hot water and then right into the dryer on high heat and they will shrink a few sizes (if the garment is 100% cotton anyway).

post #20207 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqcitizen View Post


If you want something really cheap, buy any small and throw it in the washer with hot water and then right into the dryer on high heat and they will shrink a few sizes (if the garment is 100% cotton anyway).

Not so true. Most everything made of cotton is pre-shrunk these days, or engineered to only shrink by something like 3%.
post #20208 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

Not so true. Most everything made of cotton is pre-shrunk these days, or engineered to only shrink by something like 3%.

That hasn't been my experience either.
post #20209 of 28509

where do i find the definitive suit encyclopedia?  (history, production, fabrics,.......)

 

 

thank you.

post #20210 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqcitizen View Post

Depends how much you wish to spend and what type of underwear you want (boxers, briefs, boxer/briefs). Zimerli makes some of the best underwear and their size small fits 26-30 size waists. You can find them a at a few different places online:

store.asuitablewardrobe.net/purenessclosedflyelasticwaistbandpant.aspx
http://www.customshirt1.com/ZM252_01Boxers.htm

If you want something really cheap, buy any small and throw it in the washer with hot water and then right into the dryer on high heat and they will shrink a few sizes (if the garment is 100% cotton anyway).

80 USD for underwear is definitely out of my price range. My upper limit would be around 25. Is that unreasonable? Also, I've tried to shrink some CK boxer briefs before and they don't really shrink much at all.
post #20211 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksne View Post

80 USD for underwear is definitely out of my price range. My upper limit would be around 25. Is that unreasonable? Also, I've tried to shrink some CK boxer briefs before and they don't really shrink much at all.

I looked into it further and it looks as though Gap makes an XS fitting sizes 26-28.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=12332&vid=1&pid=351372002
Edited by eqcitizen - 2/9/13 at 4:21am
post #20212 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Kent View Post

where do i find the definitive suit encyclopedia?  (history, production, fabrics,.......)

 

 

thank you.

Here is a list of 100 books on mens fashion that you may want to peruse : http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/mens-fashion-book-library-guide/

 

I can personally attest to Sherwood's "Bespoke" as a definitive history of Savile Row and the suits made therein but it isnt all encompasing. Any Alan Flusser book is also worth having (especially Dressing the Man).

I cannot speak from experience but i hear good things about Andy's book (of ask andy about clothes fame). http://askandyaboutclothes.com/shop/the-encyclopedia-of-mens-clothing#comment-406

 

But i think you can find all the information that you want online. For instance, Alex Kabbaz has some fantastic articles on shirting cloth (http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs018/1101478760242/archive/1102772493004.html) and Jeffery D has some fantastic insight into suit construction and fabric (http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/)

post #20213 of 28509

How much do Tom Ford thick wide ties retail for?

post #20214 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by azumi View Post

Should I wear this belt with my business suit?

 

No...I have the same belt and I wear it when Im going out.Not for business

post #20215 of 28509

The Girl is wanting me to wear a bowtie to a ball event in about two weeks. While I think that's silly enough, she wants me to a madras bowtie. We live in a state that has declared an emergency due to the blizzard (NY, CT, et al).

 

Should I give in? Admittedly the one she has picked out is nice and I might be tempted to wear it in the summer.

post #20216 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewST View Post

The Girl is wanting me to wear a bowtie to a ball event in about two weeks. While I think that's silly enough, she wants me to a madras bowtie. We live in a state that has declared an emergency due to the blizzard (NY, CT, et al).

Should I give in? Admittedly the one she has picked out is nice and I might be tempted to wear it in the summer.

No. First it's a bow tie and then it's the entire ensemble. Set your ground as a man who dresses himself not one who gets dressed.
post #20217 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewST View Post

The Girl is wanting me to wear a bowtie to a ball event in about two weeks. While I think that's silly enough, she wants me to a madras bowtie. We live in a state that has declared an emergency due to the blizzard (NY, CT, et al).

Should I give in? Admittedly the one she has picked out is nice and I might be tempted to wear it in the summer.
Wearing a bow tie to a ball is entirely appropriate.

While I wouldn't say that a madras bow tie is necessarily a ridiculous choice for the northeast in February (despite madras, in many clothing choices, being a decidedly warm weather option), I can appreciate that you don't happen to care for it. Fine.

Explain to your girl that if she is going to claim the right to choose which clothes you will wear, fairness dictates that you now have the right to decide what she will wear. Maybe she'll accept this argument, or maybe she'll reject it, but either way I suspect you'll win.
post #20218 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


Wearing a bow tie to a ball is entirely appropriate.

While I wouldn't say that a madras bow tie is necessarily a ridiculous choice for the northeast in February (despite madras, in many clothing choices, being a decidedly warm weather option), I can appreciate that you don't happen to care for it. Fine.

Explain to your girl that if she is going to claim the right to choose which clothes you will wear, fairness dictates that you now have the right to decide what she will wear. Maybe she'll accept this argument, or maybe she'll reject it, but either way I suspect you'll win.

To be fair, I told her to curl her hair for the event, and she consented.

 

The madras in question is pastel.

post #20219 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewST View Post

The madras in question is pastel.
Thank her for caring enough to pick out a nice tie for you. Then gently explain to her that while it's a very attractive tie, and you'll gladly wear it during the summer, you hold with those who regard pastel madras as being more appropriate for warm weather wear, than for mid-winter wear. (Just as many women would be uncomfortable carrying a white handbag in mid-winter, you'd be uncomfortable wearing a pastel madras bow tie in mid-winter.) Ask her to help you choose a tie which you'll find more seasonally appropriate.

Unless she's got some weird control issues (have her seek out a trained therapist), this is a rather trivial disagreement. Adults in healthy, stable relationships don't permit "We have differing taste in bow ties," to take on anything like genuine significance. I mean, what's next? A fight over red delicious vs. golden delicious apples? A trial separation due to disagreement over which end of the boiled egg to crack?

It's not like she favors the correct "over the top" orientation of the toilet paper roll, while you stubbornly refuse to abandon your ridiculous "behind the roll" preference. God, people who don't understand why they're wrong about that frankly deserve to live lonely, miserable lives. For sure they won't get invited to any mid-winter ball I'm throwing. I just hate them so much. Well, who wouldn't, I ask you?
--
Michael
post #20220 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


Thank her for caring enough to pick out a nice tie for you. Then gently explain to her that while it's a very attractive tie, and you'll gladly wear it during the summer, you hold with those who regard pastel madras as being more appropriate for warm weather wear, than for mid-winter wear. (Just as many women would be uncomfortable carrying a white handbag in mid-winter, you'd be uncomfortable wearing a pastel madras bow tie in mid-winter.) Ask her to help you choose a tie which you'll find more seasonally appropriate.

Unless she's got some weird control issues (have her seek out a trained therapist), this is a rather trivial disagreement. Adults in healthy, stable relationships don't permit "We have differing taste in bow ties," to take on anything like genuine significance. I mean, what's next? A fight over red delicious vs. golden delicious apples? A trial separation due to disagreement over which end of the boiled egg to crack?

It's not like she favors the correct "over the top" orientation of the toilet paper roll, while you stubbornly refuse to abandon your ridiculous "behind the roll" preference. God, people who don't understand why they're wrong about that frankly deserve to live lonely, miserable lives. For sure they won't get invited to any mid-winter ball I'm throwing. I just hate them so much. Well, who wouldn't, I ask you?
--
Michael

Thank You For This.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here