or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1345

post #20161 of 28319
Pocket square without a tie? Yay or nay? Does it make a difference if it is with a suit or sport coat?

(presuming one would wear a suit without a tie... I know some/many object to that)
post #20162 of 28319

Taking a look at this Caruso suit. Seems like a great price and I was very pleased with the other one I bought. My only concern is the wool/cotton blend. Any thoughts or experiences with such a mix? I've never encountered it before. Many thanks!

 

http://www.yoox.com/ca/49124740JH/item?dept=clothingmen#sts=sr_clothingmen80&cod10=49124740JH&sizeId=5

post #20163 of 28319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus View Post

Pocket square without a tie? Yay or nay? Does it make a difference if it is with a suit or sport coat?

(presuming one would wear a suit without a tie... I know some/many object to that)

I vote yay, especially with a sport coat (see the ever dapper alan flusser below) but i do not think i would wear a suit without a tie. If you do i still vote yay for a pocket square.

 

 

post #20164 of 28319
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan17 View Post



Does anyone know a good cobbler in the L.A. area?

Check out Willie's Shoe service (113 n la brea avenue los angeles). I haven't been personally but there has been a lot of press on Raul the owner (who also makes MTM shoes). Check out what Jessie on PUT THIS ON says:

 

http://putthison.com/tagged/Willie%27s-Shoe-Service

http://www.williesshoeservice.com/

post #20165 of 28319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post

 

Id imagine it would fall somewhere between 100-300 bucks. Ive never paid attention to quality or build when ive boot boots / dress shoes in the past, so id imagine id paid 50-100 bucks. 

 

Affordable as in taking in account quality and price. Good bargain / deal ect. 

ebay, look for allen edmonds or even some english brands like Loake or Church's and you get an almost new pair for $100 and under.

post #20166 of 28319
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Cheap suit, nothing to write home about. But, if it fits you well and is very cheap, could be a decent beater suit.

I own one suit right now and it is one I bought when I was like 18 from a Men's Warehouse haha. I only need to wear a suit once a week so what do you think would be my best bet? Should I try to get a RLPL used on eBay? Or something like a JA on deep discount? I almost bought a blue JA sports cost for 150 on Gilt but I did not know it it was a good deal or not.
post #20167 of 28319
I wouldn't buy suits online until you know exactly what fits you and what your measurements are. Tagged size is damn near useless.

Go to Brooks Brothers or even (gasp) Jos Bank and get something classic, in a sober color (solid navy or charcoal), and most importantly, that fits you.
post #20168 of 28319

Any recommendations on where to buy a pair of walnut wholecuts for less than $500?

post #20169 of 28319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoom View Post

Any recommendations on where to buy a pair of walnut wholecuts for less than $500?

Check out Shipton and Heneage. I believe they are made by one of the better english shoe companies (crockett and jones, alfred sargent - http://www.styleforum.net/t/2250/shipton-and-heneage). 

http://www.shipton-usa.com/mens/mens-wholecut-shoes.html

post #20170 of 28319
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

I wouldn't buy suits online until you know exactly what fits you and what your measurements are. Tagged size is damn near useless.

Go to Brooks Brothers or even (gasp) Jos Bank and get something classic, in a sober color (solid navy or charcoal), and most importantly, that fits you.

 



The sad thing is that the town I live in. The only options I have for a suit are Jos A Bank, Men's Warehouse, Dillards or JCPenny haha. No Brooks Brothers or Jcrew within 175 miles! I guess I will have to go check out Jos A Bank and if I can't get a nice fit. I will just get it altered

post #20171 of 28319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus View Post

Pocket square without a tie? Yay or nay? Does it make a difference if it is with a suit or sport coat?

(presuming one would wear a suit without a tie... I know some/many object to that)

Yay with sport coat, always.
Yay with suit if it is not in a business setting. If you're wearing a suit to a more relaxed party, you're fine.
post #20172 of 28319
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqcitizen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoom View Post

Any recommendations on where to buy a pair of walnut wholecuts for less than $500?

Check out Shipton and Heneage. I believe they are made by one of the better english shoe companies (crockett and jones, alfred sargent - http://www.styleforum.net/t/2250/shipton-and-heneage). 

http://www.shipton-usa.com/mens/mens-wholecut-shoes.html

 

These things are gorgeous. Thanks.

 

(other suggestions still welcome)

post #20173 of 28319
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoustas View Post

Taking a look at this Caruso suit. Seems like a great price and I was very pleased with the other one I bought. My only concern is the wool/cotton blend. Any thoughts or experiences with such a mix? I've never encountered it before. Many thanks!

 

http://www.yoox.com/ca/49124740JH/item?dept=clothingmen#sts=sr_clothingmen80&cod10=49124740JH&sizeId=5

In my experience cotton/wool blends tend to crease and wrinkle more than a pure wool suit. They also wear a bit cooler (good for hotter days), especially if partially lined like this one is. Its tough to judge from the pictures but most blended suits come off as more casual, which if it is what you are going for great, but if you are thinking about wearing it in an office, you may want to think about it first. Also, FYI this particular suit looks very fashion forward (ie. thom browne like: short in length, skinny lapels, etc) and fits the model pretty poorly. 

post #20174 of 28319
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqcitizen View Post

ebay, look for allen edmonds or even some english brands like Loake or Church's and you get an almost new pair for $100 and under.

+1 this. In the past two weeks I've bought 3 pairs of AE for a total of under 300. All with super minimal wear, almost new condition. 

post #20175 of 28319
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLion View Post

 



The sad thing is that the town I live in. The only options I have for a suit are Jos A Bank, Men's Warehouse, Dillards or JCPenny haha. No Brooks Brothers or Jcrew within 175 miles! I guess I will have to go check out Jos A Bank and if I can't get a nice fit. I will just get it altered

Where do you live?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here