or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1334

post #19996 of 28550
Hi all,

i like to wear slim fitting trousers as i have very slim legs. I purchased these Benjamin Mid Grey trousers the other day online and not sure if i like the fit (as in not slim enough for my liking), what is your opinion on these and should i get them tailored in?

My EP and HY trousers fit slimmer in my opinion.

many thanks


post #19997 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty L View Post

grenadine tie
...
any other brands to check out

Sam Hober.

(He'll probably want to send me 3 or 4 of his Grenadine Grossa ties for my having mentioned him here. But I'd feel funny accepting more than 2. Even if my birthday is coming up in just 3 1/2 more weeks, and it's a big, important birthday.)

(You hear that, Sam Hober? I will not accept more than 2 of your Grenadine Grossa ties. Say, one in navy, and one in charcoal. So don't expect me to also accept a purple one. In 61" length and 3.75" width. Because I'd probably tell you that the third tie is just too much. Unless you really insisted, because I wouldn't want to be rude. I'm serious about this.)
post #19998 of 28550

I'm a bit familiar with Sam Hober. I was initially turned off by having to choose my own construction as I don't know what would be optimal for a grenadine grossa tie. Assuming cost is no object, What is the best construction option?
 

post #19999 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


Sam Hober.

(He'll probably want to send me 3 or 4 of his Grenadine Grossa ties for my having mentioned him here. But I'd feel funny accepting more than 2. Even if my birthday is coming up in just 3 1/2 more weeks, and it's a big, important birthday.)

(You hear that, Sam Hober? I will not accept more than 2 of your Grenadine Grossa ties. Say, one in navy, and one in charcoal. So don't expect me to also accept a purple one. In 61" length and 3.75" width. Because I'd probably tell you that the third tie is just too much. Unless you really insisted, because I wouldn't want to be rude. I'm serious about this.)


I'm not sure how well Sam, David's daughter, makes ties, but you know, they'd certainly be cute.

 

As far as grenadine, yeah, Hober is the best around. Panta has some very good ones as well, but I'm not sure if they're carrying any at the moment.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty L View Post

I'm a bit familiar with Sam Hober. I was initially turned off by having to choose my own construction as I don't know what would be optimal for a grenadine grossa tie. Assuming cost is no object, What is the best construction option?
 

One of the awesome things about dealing with David is that he's super communicative. He'll give you all the advice you need willingly. With my grenadine grossas, I had 55 inches (a bit shorter since they're best tied with a FIH instead of a half-winsdor), 3.6 inches and regular wool lining.

post #20000 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty L View Post

What is the best construction option?
It depends.

What's best for one person, and for one type of tie, may not be best for the next person or for a different type of tie.

If you lack sufficient understanding to determine, based on your specific needs and likes, which construction options are best for you, then I'd suggest you either (1) devote time and effort to educating yourself on matters both subtle and gross of necktie construction; or (2) choose the tie you like, and accept the "default" options, deviating - if at all - only after consultation with the tie maker, and only in pretty obvious ways (like specifying several inches extra tie length, if a standard length necktie is clearly too short for you).

In most cases, option #2 is both easier, and will yield a superior tie. ("Superior," because unless you really know what you're doing, a multitude of opportunities to choose "options" tends to become a multitude of opportunities to screw up.)
post #20001 of 28550

Regardless, go to Hober. I ordered one with all the default options and then used that as a basis for further experimentation (length, width, lining, etc). That's one option that you simply will not have with any other company.
 

post #20002 of 28550
I have a v neck sweater with a yellow shirt under. I have these new black and yellow shoes I want to wear but idont know what kind of pants or color should I wear with them? Any help?
post #20003 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty L View Post

Hello all,

I'm new here, but have been looking to this site for quite some time for tips on improving my wardrobe. I've got a few interviews for scholarships and study abroad programs coming up and am looking to pick up a grenadine tie or two to go with my outfit. I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on grenadine ties by Turnbull & Asser vs. Drake's. I've found a few in colors that would work and the difference between the brands is about 10 GBP. Any advice on which of these to choose or for any other brands to check out would be greatly appreciated.

-Monty

Both brands are held in highest regard by the cognoscenti, so it's mostly down to personal choice. Much as I like the guys at Drakes, I would probably go with Turnbull & Asser, which I consider the classic grenadine brand (among other things, they provided Sean Connery with the grenadines he wore in the early Bond films).
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-banger View Post


Whether they are slim enough or not depends on how you are going to use them. If you're planning on using them with sport jackets and blazers, they are about as slim as you can go without throwing the whole balance off; if, on the other hand, you're planning on using them with tees and tank tops, they could definitely stand to be slimmed down some more. In both cases, you need to have them hemmed, but I guess that goes without saying ...
post #20004 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-banger View Post

Hi all,

i like to wear slim fitting trousers as i have very slim legs. I purchased these Benjamin Mid Grey trousers the other day online and not sure if i like the fit (as in not slim enough for my liking), what is your opinion on these and should i get them tailored in?


See how the pockets are protruding out, and those rumples across the front of your hips - those indicate these trousers are in fact too small. You can clearly see the poor things stretching and straining across the front - this should not be the case, even in slim fitting trousers, and those pockets should lie flat, giving you a clean line down the sides of your legs. You could probably wear more tapered legs if you must (though it's hard to tell until you've hemmed them), but this pair are too small for you higher up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty L View Post

I'm a bit familiar with Sam Hober. I was initially turned off by having to choose my own construction as I don't know what would be optimal for a grenadine grossa tie. Assuming cost is no object, What is the best construction option?

I think it says on Hober's website somewhere that the standard construction they recommend for grenadines is 4 fold, lined (as opposed to 3 fold lined for most other types of silk). That's what I have and they're great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio3193 View Post

I have a v neck sweater with a yellow shirt under. I have these new black and yellow shoes I want to wear but idont know what kind of pants or color should I wear with them? Any help?

Doesn't sound promising, but it's hard to tell what you're talking about. Post some pics maybe?
post #20005 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty L View Post

I'm a bit familiar with Sam Hober. I was initially turned off by having to choose my own construction as I don't know what would be optimal for a grenadine grossa tie. Assuming cost is no object, What is the best construction option?

 

Just tell him that and he will give you a "standard" make. He's great, don't feel uncomfortable.
post #20006 of 28550

Good evening (Because it's evening here :D)

Today I have two question that need you to enlighten for me:

1. Is it a compulsion to wear a tie that match a pocket square in term of colour, fabric etc?

2. In a tropical summer, can I wear a tie with a dress shirt without a suit jacket? Does it look ludicrous?

post #20007 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by azumi View Post

Good evening (Because it's evening here biggrin.gif)
Today I have two question that need you to enlighten for me:
1. Is it a compulsion to wear a tie that match a pocket square in term of colour, fabric etc?
2. In a tropical summer, can I wear a tie with a dress shirt without a suit jacket? Does it look ludicrous?

  1. Your pocket square shouldn't match anything, unless it's white linen and a white shirt. Otherwise, it should coordinate, but not match.
  2. Don't wear a tie without a jacket, you will look like either a waiter or a child. Neither is a good thing. Get some warmer weather jackets (linen, unlined open weaves, etc), and leave the tie at home if necessary.
post #20008 of 28550
Quote:
Originally Posted by azumi View Post

Good evening (Because it's evening here :D)

Today I have two question that need you to enlighten for me:

1. Is it a compulsion to wear a tie that match a pocket square in term of colour, fabric etc?

2. In a tropical summer, can I wear a tie with a dress shirt without a suit jacket? Does it look ludicrous?

Pocket square should NOT match in color, pattern, or (ideally) texture, though the last one can be tough.

It is not recommended to wear a tie without a jacket.

post #20009 of 28550

Thank you for quickly responding, I got it :)

post #20010 of 28550
fielding.jpg 26k .jpg file

 

I love this jacket--a 3/2 in Fox Brothers grey heather flannel.  Unfortunately, the matching pants are completely sold out.  Any thoughts on whether it is worth getting the jacket and wearing it orphaned with brown/black/navy trousers? I have dove grey flannel Canali trousers but they're probably not far enough away in shade to work. And I'm not sure how the flannel jacket would work with worsted pants.  

 

Very new here, so if this isn't the thread to ask such questions I apologize.  Thank you for any replies.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here