or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1331

post #19951 of 28659
I got a clothing planning question:
I currently own a bunch of chinos (mostly tan/beige, a red, navy and yellow one, no gray), which I consider decent, but not great.

Furthermore, I mostly wear a sweater and a shirt underneath. Occasionally, I wear a SC, but not that often.

Now, I want to buy several pair of pants this year, HowardYount is my primary choice for the time being.
My plan was to buy the following:
1 pair of mid gray 4 seasons
1 pair of light gray 4 seasons.

And now two more. I would prefer them to be wearable all year.
Which ones would you recommend and which color?

Thanks for the input (all kinds of sweater colors FWIW).
post #19952 of 28659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurious View Post

I got a clothing planning question:
I currently own a bunch of chinos (mostly tan/beige, a red, navy and yellow one, no gray), which I consider decent, but not great.

Furthermore, I mostly wear a sweater and a shirt underneath. Occasionally, I wear a SC, but not that often.

Now, I want to buy several pair of pants this year, HowardYount is my primary choice for the time being.
My plan was to buy the following:
1 pair of mid gray 4 seasons
1 pair of light gray 4 seasons.

And now two more. I would prefer them to be wearable all year.
Which ones would you recommend and which color?

Thanks for the input (all kinds of sweater colors FWIW).

You won't like my answer, but I think you should get a pair of mid-gray flannel and light gray summer weight. I'm not sure where you live, but there really are no garments that can be considered "4 season" in many parts of the world.

post #19953 of 28659
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post


I like metal buttons, other people here don't. But if you don't go with metal, have something contrasting put on- horn is the classic choice. Matching buttons are boring as hell, and make it look too much like you just took the jacket from a suit.

I say metal instead of gold because gold tones are not your only choice- my current blazer has antique silver buttons.

I don't own a navy blazer, but I keep meaning to get one -- and if I do, it will have silver buttons.

post #19954 of 28659
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

You won't like my answer, but I think you should get a pair of mid-gray flannel and light gray summer weight. I'm not sure where you live, but there really are no garments that can be considered "4 season" in many parts of the world.

I live in Switzerland, so the four seasons would probably be great for September to mid November and March to Mid/End June, as well as on not so great summer days (which there are plenty of).

Mid gray flanell was one of the candidates for the third and forth pair, but I am not sure, if they look good with just a sweater + shirt.

Summer weight I wasnt really sure, but people in the HY thread recommended exactly the pair you've mentioned.

Let's say you would go with the mid gray flanell and the light gray summer weight, what other two pair of pants would you recommend?
post #19955 of 28659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurious View Post

I live in Switzerland, so the four seasons would probably be great for September to mid November and March to Mid/End June, as well as on not so great summer days (which there are plenty of).

Mid gray flanell was one of the candidates for the third and forth pair, but I am not sure, if they look good with just a sweater + shirt.

Summer weight I wasnt really sure, but people in the HY thread recommended exactly the pair you've mentioned.

Let's say you would go with the mid gray flanell and the light gray summer weight, what other two pair of pants would you recommend?

Mid grey flannels go with pretty much everything, so don't sweat that.

I too am a big fan of matching trousers to the weather. I have a bunch of flannels I wear in the winter, and a bunch of tropical wools I wear in the summer. Will be mixing up the tropical wools this summer with some as-yet acquired linen trousers.
post #19956 of 28659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurious View Post


I live in Switzerland, so the four seasons would probably be great for September to mid November and March to Mid/End June, as well as on not so great summer days (which there are plenty of).

Mid gray flanell was one of the candidates for the third and forth pair, but I am not sure, if they look good with just a sweater + shirt.

Summer weight I wasnt really sure, but people in the HY thread recommended exactly the pair you've mentioned.

Let's say you would go with the mid gray flanell and the light gray summer weight, what other two pair of pants would you recommend?

I would probably get a brown next, your choice as to worsted, flannel, or summer weight.

post #19957 of 28659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase H View Post

Where could I acquire some heavyish blackwatch tartan trousers? I don't have the cash for anything approaching purple label, even on sale.

Club Monaco has some Blackwatch trousers.
post #19958 of 28659

Nothing on a light grey double breasted top coat? anything?

post #19959 of 28659
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Mid grey flannels go with pretty much everything, so don't sweat that.

I too am a big fan of matching trousers to the weather. I have a bunch of flannels I wear in the winter, and a bunch of tropical wools I wear in the summer. Will be mixing up the tropical wools this summer with some as-yet acquired linen trousers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

I would probably get a brown next, your choice as to worsted, flannel, or summer weight.

Thanks guys.
I will prioritize and probably get some summer pants first, light grey and see what else HY is offering in the summer.
Mid grey flannels are next.
post #19960 of 28659

After trying on a variety of brands, I have settled that the best OTR jacket fit for me seems to be the Polo Ralph Lauren Blue Label stuff made in Italy, Black Label is just slightly too nipped in the waist for me but otherwise would be perfect. I am willing to be patient with ebay and B&S looking for a staple cashmere navy blazer by PRL, what realistically should I expect the minimum to pay for an item like this? Made in Italy Blue label is a little rare online, and the few ones I have seen have asking prices around $700-800 (still well below retail). With patience, can I do significantly better?

post #19961 of 28659
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiCcolocV View Post

After trying on a variety of brands, I have settled that the best OTR jacket fit for me seems to be the Polo Ralph Lauren Blue Label stuff made in Italy, Black Label is just slightly too nipped in the waist for me but otherwise would be perfect. I am willing to be patient with ebay and B&S looking for a staple cashmere navy blazer by PRL, what realistically should I expect the minimum to pay for an item like this? Made in Italy Blue label is a little rare online, and the few ones I have seen have asking prices around $700-800 (still well below retail). With patience, can I do significantly better?

For new or used?

For used, definitely less than that. I've seen it go for $100 before. Granted, its not easy to find something in your size, tasteful, and in good condition.

For new, you could still do better than that.

Keep in mind, eBay requires lots of patience.
post #19962 of 28659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post


Club Monaco has some Blackwatch trousers.

thanks!

post #19963 of 28659
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2quinn View Post


Not sure I follow - either option has black watch in it... it's just a question of bow tie + cummerbund or bow tie + trews.


I'm sorry if I didn't articulate that clearly.  I was trying to say that when I see members of the British military wearing tartan trews they don't wear a matching tartan tie.  I think I have seen them with matching tartan waistcoats but with black ties.  If you were worried about option 2 standing out too much you might remedy that by wearing a black tie. 

post #19964 of 28659
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushburner View Post

Can a tailor increase the waist size of my trousers by 1 inch without making it look altered? I need my size 30 pants to be increased to 31

What do you guys think?

post #19965 of 28659
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushburner View Post

What do you guys think?

Depends on the pants and the tailor. Most RTW pants should have enough seam allowance to be let out an inch. But a lazy tailor may just let it all out from the center back seam, which can alter the fit of the seat and spread the pockets too far apart. The better way is to let out a little bit from each side, either instead of or in addition to from the center.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here