Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Yesterday at 2:37 pm in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN Hall of Fame: pre-2010 Last post on 7/27/14 at 11:09am in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1295
Styleforum Top Pickspost #19412 of 2873412/30/12 at 2:54pmpost #19413 of 2873412/30/12 at 3:23pmpost #19414 of 2873412/30/12 at 3:26pm
2942: I would say this is not normal. In purchasing inexpensive knit ties from Century 21 and from thetiebar.com, neither had the issue with stitching. It is likely to be returnable, though if it is not visible on the front and the knot ties reasonably, not sure it is worth the trouble. It would certainly bother me as well though.post #19415 of 2873412/30/12 at 6:07pmpost #19416 of 2873412/30/12 at 10:47pm
Hi! I'm an elementary school teacher, and I am usually wearing wool slacks with sweaters in the winter and khakis or chinos when it is warmer. I want to invest in better quality shoes for work. What would you suggest to be my first purchase and then my second? I'm visiting Austin and plan on going shopping tomorrow at the Nordstrom Rack Gateway.post #19417 of 2873412/31/12 at 6:14ampost #19418 of 2873412/31/12 at 6:55am
I need some recommendations on which stores to visit for buying my first suit.
I read up a lot on suits etc etc to the point im getting pissed off bc its hard to be knowledgable without experience of wearing suits imo. Anyway, I live in toronto and for the first suit I'm leaning away from an online buy such as suitsupply/indiochino as I've read up on a lot of misfits and although they use good fabric, their quality isn't up to par.
My budget is 500-700. Might consider a little more if necessary but defnitely no more than 1000.
The suit brands known for good quality based on research are Harry Rosen/Brooks Brother/Zegna/(Hugo boss? Seems to be a lot of hate for it)/Ralph Lauren purple line.
Are there any cheaper stores with good quality like Moores/Top tailers/etc? (I've never been to those yet)
Also is Strauss MensWear at Fairview Mall worth looking into? They carry 3 brands. Their own, Hugo Boss, Zegna
Any recommendation and advices are appreciated.post #19419 of 2873412/31/12 at 7:22ampost #19420 of 2873412/31/12 at 11:37amHey everyone,
I think I'm getting these and would like some size advice. I have searched and wanted to verify my thinking based off of those searches. This is Loake, UK sizing, F-fitting (I think that's the width this boot comes in standard). I wear an 8 in the AE 5-last. I'm thinking I should go down a full size in this boot and buy a 7 but I'm not sure.post #19421 of 2873412/31/12 at 11:46ampost #19422 of 2873412/31/12 at 1:14pm
Hello forum members, I'm new here and have a question about some pants if somebody could give me any information on them. (They're Levi's)
I tried to make a new thread for it, but it just didn't happen. Do I need to have a certain amount of posts before I can open my own thread or something like that?post #19423 of 2873412/31/12 at 1:19pmI just thrifted these AEs for 5$ but they have seen much better days. Does anyone think it's worth it to send them to AE and see what they can do? The worst cracking is near the front where the natural bend is. The worst overall is behind the right top seam which has about a 1cm tear but isn't extremely noticeable.
http://imgur.com/a/HTDZupost #19424 of 2873412/31/12 at 2:17pmQuote:That's an option, of course. It's just that it'd bother me that AE would wind up charging me probably 2/3 as much as a new pair of shoes would run from the Shoebank, or even from amazon or Nordstrom during a good sale. Which doesn't mean I might not do it, just that it'd annoy me.
Still, for $5 those shoes are a major score. Even if you wind up choosing not to go the AE recrafting route, you could absolutely flip the shoes in their current condition on eBay, and make some profit on the deal.
Plus, if you do get them fixed up, they're nice, versatile shoes. Not some weird two-tone semi-demi-casual kiltie-and-tassel thing which you buy because they're Allen Edmonds, but never really want to wear. No, the pair you thrifted would work fine with most business suits.
Yeah, go get an estimate from AE. If it's ridiculously high, see if maybe there's a really good, old school cobbler, near you. They're not nearly as common as they once were, but in some places you can still find an expert cobbler. And if he could fix up your shoes, I bet he'd do it faster and far less expensively than would AE.
Michaelpost #19425 of 2873412/31/12 at 2:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by kayfouroh
I just thrifted these AEs for 5$ but they have seen much better days. Does anyone think it's worth it to send them to AE and see what they can do? The worst cracking is near the front where the natural bend is. The worst overall is behind the right top seam which has about a 1cm tear but isn't extremely noticeable.
As far as I know, AE is just going to stretch the upper over the original last and resole it--I don't know that they are going to repair tears and such. You may do better taking it to a good shoe repair place and seeing what they can do. Most of the normal wear and tear is easily cleaned up with a good strip down and refinish, but for tears I'm not sure what you can do to fix them.
That said, AE has great customer service, so it's worth an email to ask. Note that their refinishing will cost you north of $100, which is probably more than you want to spend on $5 thrifted shoes.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › you don't then you have to change 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 5 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Are you 30 somethings going through this too? 8 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 9 minutes ago
- › Klaxon Howl waxed cotton/ wool lined mackinaw coat. Black M 9 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...