Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on 10/18/14 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN Hall of Fame: pre-2010 Last post on 7/27/14 at 11:09am in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1283post #19231 of 2887012/20/12 at 4:59pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #19232 of 2887012/20/12 at 5:05pmQuote:
This explains Ambrosi Napolipost #19233 of 2887012/20/12 at 5:06pmpost #19234 of 2887012/20/12 at 5:18pmhttp://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-948/%27Slim-Walt-Trouser-Butterscotch/Detail
Appropriate with an OCBD and dark brown captoe oxford? I work in business casual setting where most people wear wool slacks and open neck dress shirts. This might have a slightly more casual look, but at least it's a coherent one I'm thinking...post #19235 of 2887012/20/12 at 6:00pmpost #19236 of 2887012/20/12 at 10:33pmpost #19237 of 2887012/20/12 at 11:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by daveedoe
QUESTION: I found a really great deal on a John Varvatos slim cut 2-piece suit at Nordstrom Rack recently ($170, down from $795). It fits very well and I like it, but I'm not sure if it's really in style and even worth the $170 I paid for it. The first reason I'm unsure of it is that it has a peaked lapel. I like the peaked lapel, but don't really see them in use ever. Next, it's a light grey ghost pinstripe, which I also don't really see, but do like. My concerns are, first, will the material pattern be too distracting and will I look outdated? Second, will I look like I'm trying to be a pimp? Your responses are certainly appreciated. Be brutally honest. I can still return it for a full refund. Also, if you think it's worth hanging onto, what color and style shoes would you recommend?
It's not going to come off as dated, if anything it'll come off as a little fashiony. Maybe in a few years it'll look as silly as the 80's landing strip shoulders look to us now, but I don't think that that styling is going to inspire such an extreme reaction.
The single breasted, peak lapel bit is a trend right now, and light gray pinstripe is a less formal suiting, but a well established one that won't look too odd now or in 10 years. I would not wear that suit to an interview, but for a wedding (not yours), a party, or a day at the office, it's a nice choice.
And pretty much any non-loafer dress shoe will go with that suit. Gray means black will always be a sharp choice, and the lighter gray is, the more shades of brown you can easily play with. Burgundy too, of course. The world is your oyster.post #19238 of 2887012/21/12 at 12:53am
Clarksdb has the right of it, I think. Persols are nice, indeed. You could also do what Cary Grant did in North by Northwest and put tinted lenses in eyeglass frames. Or, if you want a brilliant take on a classic, get some Randolph Engineering aviators (avoid size 58 unless you have a very large head).post #19239 of 2887012/21/12 at 2:46ampost #19240 of 2887012/21/12 at 2:55ampost #19241 of 2887012/21/12 at 6:33amQuote:
I'm pretty sure it's just tissue paper.post #19242 of 2887012/21/12 at 8:40amQuote:
yes i've been reading this on the internet too.. not making me feel any better! :-/post #19243 of 2887012/21/12 at 8:41amQuote:Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
I don't know if it's the third worst in the world (although I'd have no trouble believing that it is). I do know that I'd never trust the Italian postal system with anything more important than a post card.
I hope your jacket arrives safely, drtchock. And I suppose it might. Eventually. Maybe. But I'd have paid extra for something like FedEx or DHL, rather than taking the crapshoot that is the Italian postal service.
thanks, i hope it arrives safely too.. i got a bargain price for a margiela jacket and the seller said they would throw in free shipping so i accepted! i had no idea the italian post was so bad though otherwise i would have just paid the extra and gone for DHL. fingers crossed it arrives, i'm sure it will... i hope.post #19244 of 2887012/21/12 at 8:55am
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 1 minute ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 7 minutes ago
- › The Grad Lounge 8 minutes ago
- › The Great Cascadia Boot Thread 11 minutes ago
- › WrongWeather.net, Fashion & Lifestyle for Contemporary Men:... 12 minutes ago
- › NMWA x Formosa Sportcoat: Let's Get Another One Rolling! 12 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 18 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 19 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...