It depends on what type of vest (down, fleece, pullover, etc.). I don't know where this waiter comment is coming from.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best stuff for spring and summer? Last post on 12/27/12 at 3:02am in Streetwear and Denim
- Mr. Porter Last post on 8/28/12 at 4:18pm in Classic Menswear
- When is 3 Piece Suit appropriate Last post on 7/3/13 at 6:13am in Classic Menswear
- What To Wear With Linen Pants Last post on 7/22/11 at 10:18am in Streetwear and Denim
- Dressing to look taller? Last post on 10/17/13 at 8:49pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Bison Made
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Four Horsemen Shop
- GABE Tailored
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Jeffrey George
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Upstate Stock
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1264post #18946 of 2516212/5/12 at 1:50pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #18947 of 2516212/5/12 at 1:54pmQuote:
I didn't read that as a coat-type vest--something warn for warmth. I read it was wanting to wear a vest cut similarly to one that would be worn with a three piece suit... In which case that is not a good look IMO.
Nothing wrong with a vest worn as outerwear. Down vests are great.post #18948 of 2516212/5/12 at 2:10pmpost #18949 of 2516212/5/12 at 2:11pmpost #18950 of 2516212/5/12 at 2:29pmpost #18951 of 2516212/5/12 at 2:36pmpost #18952 of 2516212/5/12 at 2:57pmpost #18953 of 2516212/5/12 at 3:00pmpost #18954 of 2516212/5/12 at 3:05pmQuote:
I wear mine with suits all the time. They probably aren't the #1 choice for an interview or funeral though. I think that color looks much better with charcoal than navy.post #18955 of 2516212/5/12 at 3:16pmQuote:I heartily agree with Michael's final point here. P.G. Wodehouse put it neatly in one of the Bertie Wooster stories.Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
While belt and shoes should, as a general thing, broadly match - for example, black belt with black shoes, and brown belt with brown shoes - there is no need to seek a perfect match.
If your shoes are in any of the "reddish, wine-connected colors," like merlot, burgundy, bordeaux, etc., and your belt is also one of those reddish colors, it's close enough. Indeed, some might even suggest that seeking out a perfect match is excessive, and runs the risk of being perceived as overly "matchy-matchy."
Within certain limits, a similar principle applies to matching brown belt and brown shoes. It's usually less relevant when it comes to matching black belt with black shoes, as there are fewer commonly encountered shades of black than there are of burgundy or brown. Consequently, if one owns 3 belts - one in black, one in medium brown, and one in burgundy - nearly any shade of shoe ranging from tan to black can be color matched closely enough so as to not be an issue. (Obviously, a given belt may still fail to go with a given pair of shoes for other reasons, often having to do with formality, or with the color of the metal of its buckle, should it not take interchangeable buckles.)
There are even some parallels involving matching sock color to shoe color, or pocket square color to necktie color. Where close enough may, at times, be preferable to exact.
Bertie is getting ready to go out and says: "Jeeves, how do I look?"
"Perfect Sir," replies the gentleman's gentleman. "That is to say, not quite perfect."post #18956 of 2516212/5/12 at 4:02pmQuote:
Thanks for the input. I have some black AE PA's for wearing with navy suits if I go that route, but maybe I should pick up a dark brown captoe for use with navy as well...post #18957 of 2516212/5/12 at 4:07pmQuote:
You can certainly go with the black for navy suits, but I think brown looks better and more interesting.post #18958 of 2516212/5/12 at 4:19pmpost #18959 of 2516212/5/12 at 7:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by Badandy
I just got AE McAllisters in merlot color.
Does the burgundy version of this belt match?
And if I wear a 31 waist in pants, will the size 34 belt work? They don't do odd numbers in this belt...
Yes and Yes. But get Allen Edmonds' Merlot belt. It will be much closer and a better quality.post #18960 of 2516212/5/12 at 8:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by dragun57
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I guess I'll think on this some more. Part of my issue is that the language they used to describe the dress code doesn't exactly match up with what was actually being worn. They say business casual, but you were way off base if you didn't have at least a sportcoat and tie. There were a ton of power suits present and women were going all out, so I thought I'd have some more fun this year and try to use christmas colors. Maybe the velvet is too much...
Go for it. I'm completely serious; if I had the cash floating around I'd be doing something similar. Velvet is an amazing thing for Christmas and New Year's.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Germanicos- Bespoke Suits 4 minutes ago
- › Quality of €5-10 ties in Italy? 9 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III 9 minutes ago
- › The WAYWT Discussion Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Doctor Who 15 minutes ago
- › Style in a dirty work environment? 17 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 21 minutes ago
- › PASSAGGIO CRAVATTE - Official Affiliate Thread 23 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 33 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › Herschel Ravine Black/Tan FA 12 by pfmicks
- › Vans Footwear The Barbour Classic Slip On Sneaker,10.5,Green by ATLnoob
- › Berg & Berg unlined silk bow tie (SS'13) by MTB-85
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw