or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1260

post #18886 of 29420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post

Hello
I like the feel of lightweight, smooth cotton shirt fabric that is a bit cool to the touch, almost like silk. I have tried Charles Tyrwhitt and T.M. Lewin, but they don't feel as smooth or light as I'd like them to.
Do any of you know what makers have this type of shirts? I have read about (Su)pima cotton that supposedly has "exceptional smoothness" according to Lands' End. Are they like this? Any others?

the numbering system for cotton is somewhat useless to the consumer these days.
most of the mills are producing single ply compact yarns. 60/1, 70/1, even 80/1
they are then finished with all sorts of resins and chemical finishes that give broadcloth fabric a super soft and slick finish.

you may like those "silk Like fabrics" but they are sort of fake in my opinion.

Mills like Grandi & Rubenelli actually weave in lower yarn counts, (as well as high yarn counts) but , the raw material is better so the fabric does not have to be masked with high tech finishes.
post #18887 of 29420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand View Post

Interesting, thank you. Is it the same thing with chambray? It's hard to tell whether they're fabrics or styles when you're a noob like I am. sorry for the painfully obvious (and maybe tiresome) questions, I'm new at this.

Chambary is a type of fabric.

This might be helpful.
post #18888 of 29420

Could you wear these with a suit? Are split toes suit worthy?

 

Thank you.700

post #18889 of 29420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby Trout View Post

Could you wear these with a suit? Are split toes suit worthy?

Thank you.

The hard rule is that you should only wear oxfords (as opposed to derbys) with suits. These are a bit more casual for suit wear, but many Americans would not bat an eye at you for wearing it with a suit.
post #18890 of 29420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby Trout View Post

Could you wear these with a suit? Are split toes suit worthy?

Thank you.

are you sure you need a shoe to wear with suits? i've helped several friends buy their first pair of "nice" shoes, and they always start out by saying "i want a pair of shoes i can wear with jeans/t-shit and with a suit for job interviews." don't think like that.

ask yourself "how do i dress 80-90% of the time?"

buy a shoe that works for that 80-90%, and forget the other 10-20%, otherwise you're going to end up with some lame shoe that is just mediocre at everything. this won't be your last pair of shoes ever, so get a pair that works for how you dress now.

based on what you've posted, it seems like you're trying to find one shoe that will work in every scenario perfectly. that shoe doesn't exist. if you wear mostly jeans vs mostly wear suits, that's two totally different types of shoes. before you start asking questions about particular shoes, think clearly about what you need shoes for and tell everyone what your intended use is. if your intended use is "ratty jeans and business suits" then you probably need to think about this a bit more.

dressy shoes look stupid with jeans.
casual boots look stupid with suits.
post #18891 of 29420
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post


are you sure you need a shoe to wear with suits? i've helped several friends buy their first pair of "nice" shoes, and they always start out by saying "i want a pair of shoes i can wear with jeans/t-shit and with a suit for job interviews." don't think like that.
ask yourself "how do i dress 80-90% of the time?"
buy a shoe that works for that 80-90%, and forget the other 10-20%, otherwise you're going to end up with some lame shoe that is just mediocre at everything. this won't be your last pair of shoes ever, so get a pair that works for how you dress now.
based on what you've posted, it seems like you're trying to find one shoe that will work in every scenario perfectly. that shoe doesn't exist. if you wear mostly jeans vs mostly wear suits, that's two totally different types of shoes. before you start asking questions about particular shoes, think clearly about what you need shoes for and tell everyone what your intended use is. if your intended use is "ratty jeans and business suits" then you probably need to think about this a bit more.
dressy shoes look stupid with jeans.
casual boots look stupid with suits.

Thanks for the reply!

 

Actually, I have the Fifth Aves in black (which I'm assuming are good suit material), but I realized that I should own a brown pair of dress shoes as well for lighter gray suits (and blue pants/suits?). I'm badly colorblind so fashion is a struggle for me.

 

Like a ton of newbs here, I'm working on a fairly limited budget. I'm just trying to sort out some essentials I'll be using for work. My office is business casual, but I often like to overdress when working for some reason... puts me in a better state of mind. 

post #18892 of 29420
I'm considering a Black Fleece BB4 that's currently on Ebay. I'm familiar with 1818 and GF cuts. Would the BB4 be closest to a 44R GF Madison, or something else?
post #18893 of 29420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby Trout View Post

Thanks for the reply!

Actually, I have the Fifth Aves in black (which I'm assuming are good suit material), but I realized that I should own a brown pair of dress shoes as well for lighter gray suits (and blue pants/suits?). I'm badly colorblind so fashion is a struggle for me.

Like a ton of newbs here, I'm working on a fairly limited budget. I'm just trying to sort out some essentials I'll be using for work. My office is business casual, but I often like to overdress when working for some reason... puts me in a better state of mind. 

Consider AE Delray split toe in brown, AE Vernon saddle brown among others.
post #18894 of 29420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

The hard rule is that you should only wear oxfords (as opposed to derbys) with suits. These are a bit more casual for suit wear, but many Americans would not bat an eye at you for wearing it with a suit.

That's not a hard rule. A few people cling to it, but it's never been the be all and end all. Yes, oxford shoes are more formal than derbys. But there are a lot of derbies that are perfectly fine with suits, and I would count that pair among them. Think about the 50's for a second, and the generic 'man in the gray flannel suit'. What shoe comes to mind? The correct answer, of course, is a black, pebble grain longwing, probably made by Florsheim. With open lacing.

The question of what shoes are appropriate with a suit has never been so cut and dry as open lacing versus closed lacing. It's a balancing act of overall formality of the shoe, taking into account color, texture, patterning, lacing configuration, thickness of the sole, last shape, eyelet configuration, and whatever else, taken with the overall formality and color of the suit.
post #18895 of 29420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby Trout View Post

Thanks for the reply!

Actually, I have the Fifth Aves in black (which I'm assuming are good suit material), but I realized that I should own a brown pair of dress shoes as well for lighter gray suits (and blue pants/suits?). I'm badly colorblind so fashion is a struggle for me.

Like a ton of newbs here, I'm working on a fairly limited budget. I'm just trying to sort out some essentials I'll be using for work. My office is business casual, but I often like to overdress when working for some reason... puts me in a better state of mind. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Consider AE Delray split toe in brown, AE Vernon saddle brown among others.

delray (also in chili) is an excellent suggestion. i think the vernon would be too similar to the 5th avenue, but in brown it might be ok.

also, consider longwings aka gunboats, such as the AE MacNeil. i think longwings hit the sweet spot for business casual (although the delray is an excellent choice as well).
post #18896 of 29420

Hey guys I found this cool Cardigan Blazer (It looks like a blazer but it is a cardigan!) Maybe it is nothing new to some of you stylish people here.

 

Anyways, I am stuck between choosing black and navy, which color should I get?

 

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/info.html/pid.1031381730

post #18897 of 29420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLAQ View Post

Hey guys I found this cool Cardigan Blazer (It looks like a blazer but it is a cardigan!) Maybe it is nothing new to some of you stylish people here.

Anyways, I am stuck between choosing black and navy, which color should I get?

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/info.html/pid.1031381730

I personally rarely wear black, so I would go with navy, but I would choose depending on what your wardrobe is made of. If you wear a lot of black than maybe black would be better.
post #18898 of 29420
Do you know who makes RL Polo's Newent Burnished Bluchers?
post #18899 of 29420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post

Do you know who makes RL Polo's Newent Burnished Bluchers?

One of the lower tier, mass market model, probably made in Brazil or something. For sure, not UK or even Italy.
post #18900 of 29420
Are all cap toe non brouged shoes considered formal? I know black is, but what about other colors?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here