or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1255

post #18811 of 28717
And the added advantage is that the brush NEVER runs of tape, never needs a refill, and contributes NOTHING to a landfill.

Although for stubborn cat hair - nothing works like a tape roller.
post #18812 of 28717
You guys are right, I need to get one soon!
post #18813 of 28717
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

Other than a tape roller, what other method do you guys use to remove lint?
Is there a better way?
Thanks

Lint roller works great. I have a travel one for work in my briefcase, but at home I use one of these -

http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Cherrywood-Double-Sided-Clothing-Brush/dp/B0037AKVAO/ref=sr_1_fed0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354370554&sr=8-2&keywords=kent+hairbrush

Thanks. Never thought I would spend 80 USD on a brush for clothes though frown.gif

Can you use it on wool trousers?
post #18814 of 28717

Tie question: I'm 6'6" (198 cm) tall and have an issue with tie length.  I wear 63" ties and when I tie a double-4-in-hand the only time the knot looks right is when the tie sits a little short… about 4" above my belt.  Is this acceptable?

post #18815 of 28717
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyleclark View Post

Tie question: I'm 6'6" (198 cm) tall and have an issue with tie length.  I wear 63" ties and when I tie a double-4-in-hand the only time the knot looks right is when the tie sits a little short… about 4" above my belt.  Is this acceptable?

4" is not a little short, it's REALLY short

 

If I were you, I wouldn't mind the other end of the tie (the thinner side), even if it's damn short, in order to have the front placed right

post #18816 of 28717
No - it is not acceptable. your tie should reach your belt. You may do well to order custom ties - they will be a bit more expensive so be sure to keep your fabric choices classic and simple so that you can wear them a long time.
post #18817 of 28717
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyleclark View Post

Tie question: I'm 6'6" (198 cm) tall and have an issue with tie length.  I wear 63" ties and when I tie a double-4-in-hand the only time the knot looks right is when the tie sits a little short… about 4" above my belt.  Is this acceptable?
Need you really ask? No, your tie is not supposed to hit 4" above your belt.

I suppose that maybe you could get away with it if you're wearing a sweater or something, so nobody sees how far down your torso your tie extends. But let's not nitpick, the basic fact is that it sounds like your tie is simply too short. And ignore people who tell you that "It could look okay," or who point out that in 1953, on "I Love Lucy," the character of Fred Mertz often wore neckties that fell about half a foot short of his belt line, and he looked great. Because it doesn't look okay, it's no longer 1953, and while Fred was my favorite character in "I Love Lucy," and I like to believe that Al Bundy, of "Married With Children," was his illegitimate offspring, Fred was not a sartorial icon.

Possible solutions include:

1. Not tying a double four-in-hand. A single four-in-hand, for example, would give you a little more length. (It'd give you a smaller knot, too. But this may not be an issue, especially when dealing with a beefy necktie which yields a substantial knot even with a single four-in-hand.)
2. Buying longer ties. And yes, I realize that can mean a more limited selection, and higher price. (FWIW, while I've never purchased anything from them, I understand that Big Shot Neckwear offers a large selection of silk ties, priced at a penny under $40, in 67" length.) (At a somewhat higher price point, Sam Hober will give you several inches of extra necktie length, for an extra 15 or 20 bucks. His ties are pricey, but they tend to be of excellent quality. Even if most of your everyday ties are from a place like Big Shot Neckwear, getting a couple of "special occasion" ties from Sam Hober might be worth considering. His grenadines are particularly nice.)
3. Bow ties.

Anyway, I feel for you, man. I truly do. You've got certain wardrobe challenges due to your size, sort of how a little guy who wears a size 35S suit faces his own wardrobe difficulties. But believe me, 67" neckties can be found. At not just hideous ties at the local Big & Tall store, either.
--
Michael
post #18818 of 28717
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

Thanks. Never thought I would spend 80 USD on a brush for clothes though frown.gif
Can you use it on wool trousers?

You can get other options much cheaper- and any old horsehair brush would work well enough. Just make sure to buy a new one instead of using the one you've been using with shoe polish for years.
post #18819 of 28717
I went through our cabinets and I found these, are they lint brushes?


aju8upa7.jpg

6a4ybyna.jpg

veqezugy.jpg
post #18820 of 28717
The bristles look plastic on the bottom one, which would make me think women's hairbrush. As would the embedded hair. But the Brooks Brothers one may indeed be. But I'm only looking at pictures over the internet box, I can't feel the bristles to be sure.
post #18821 of 28717
The brooks brothers brush is a lint brush. (note soft fibers, densely packed, and trimmed to all one length.)

The other is a hair brush.
post #18822 of 28717
Thanks guys.

The bottom one, Kent says real bristle so I don't think its plastic.

Can I clean the brooks brothers brush? It has lint/dust build up.

I just swipe down until the lint is removed right, I am assuming this isn't as complicated as polishing shoes.

Is there certain material that you do not use a lint brush on?
post #18823 of 28717
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamasterLux View Post

4" is not a little short, it's REALLY short

 

If I were you, I wouldn't mind the other end of the tie (the thinner side), even if it's damn short, in order to have the front placed right

I think I have been subconsciously going for average guy proportions, with regard to the "other end".  Glad this forum exists so I can get a good smack in the face to wake me up about these things.  I'll try a few knots and ties later.  Fairly convinced that will help.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

No - it is not acceptable. your tie should reach your belt. You may do well to order custom ties - they will be a bit more expensive so be sure to keep your fabric choices classic and simple so that you can wear them a long time.

Glad I NEVER wear a tie without a SC or jacket… honestly, before I put the jacket on I look like a full-size pickup truck with a thin racing stripe down the middle. rotflmao.gif

post #18824 of 28717
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyleclark View Post

before I put the jacket on I look like a full-size pickup truck with a thin racing stripe down the middle. rotflmao.gif
With regard to the thin stripe down the middle look, do bear in mind that very tall, very large men can often benefit from not merely longer than average neckties, but wider than average ties, as well. True, tie width should be influenced by other factors (like, lapel width), but a man who needs a 67" long necktie might be advised to wear something more like a 3 3/4" wide tie, than a 2 1/2" one.

Sadly, this means that most silk knit ties - even if acceptable for length - can be undesirably narrow for a very large man. Not that this problem is in any way limited to knits.

Oh, and I don't use "large man" purely as a euphemism for "fat man." While someone 6'6" and overweight would likely qualify as a large man by any reasonable standard, even a man who is 6'6" tall with a low bodyfat percentage may reasonably be termed large, simply on the basis of height, width of shoulders, length of torso, etc. I can't think of any obese NBA players, but I can think of many guys in the NBA who would look better wearing a 4" wide necktie, than a fashionably narrow one.
Quote:
Glad I NEVER wear a tie without a SC or jacket…
A practice every man should follow, regardless of his size.

Okay, wearing a tie with a sweater, but without a sport coat or suit, is also tolerable, and represents one of the better reasons for buying a v-neck sweater, rather than a crew neck sweater. (Mind you, even if one is wearing a sweater, no law says a sport coat can't be worn over it. And this practice does have much to recommend it.) (And the sport coat over sweater combination is the sole justification for the existence of sweater vests.)
--
Michael
post #18825 of 28717
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post

With regard to the thin stripe down the middle look, do bear in mind that very tall, very large men can often benefit from not merely longer than average neckties, but wider than average ties, as well. True, tie width should be influenced by other factors (like, lapel width), but a man who needs a 67" long necktie might be advised to wear something more like a 3 3/4" wide tie, than a 2 1/2" one.
Sadly, this means that most silk knit ties - even if acceptable for length - can be undesirably narrow for a very large man. Not that this problem is in any way limited to knits.

Definitely this. Check out Sam Hober. They custom make some fantastic ties, and will make them to any specifications--length, width, etc--that you may need.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here