or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1198

post #17956 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMarce21 View Post

chukkas, derby boots, or something like a duck boot to work with "real" shoes in your bag


Thank you. Ideally, I'd like to avoid having to change shoes, but I need something to use when there's snow (a bit). And when it's cold (a lot). The distances to be traveled are relatively short. Will any of these work? They seem like a boot version of regular leather dress shoes so no to snow and no to cold. A reminder because my original post isn't going to appear in the quote - this is for business casual.

post #17957 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by K030 View Post


Thank you. Ideally, I'd like to avoid having to change shoes, but I need something to use when there's snow (a bit). And when it's cold (a lot). The distances to be traveled are relatively short. Will any of these work? They seem like a boot version of regular leather dress shoes so no to snow and no to cold. A reminder because my original post isn't going to appear in the quote - this is for business casual.
What is your definition of a little snow and relatively short distance? If we're talking about less than a mile of walking and one to two inches of snow I think you're fine with regular dress shoes. You're just going to need to polish them more often.
post #17958 of 29413

Difference in these PRL Sweaters?

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a few V-neck Merino sweaters and found these two on RL's site. They both look like essentially the same thing, except one is $98 and one is $145. What exactly is the difference between them aside from the embroidered logo? I know the more expensive one says "Italian Merino" in the title, but the description of the other one said the wool is Italian too so I'm not really sure. Thanks!

 

Sweater 1

Sweater 2

post #17959 of 29413

I just bought a pair of vintage style, 6 eye leather boots from Officine Creative, and i'm wondering if anyone has experience in how long it generally takes to break them in?

Thanks
 

post #17960 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0 View Post

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a few V-neck Merino sweaters and found these two on RL's site. They both look like essentially the same thing, except one is $98 and one is $145. What exactly is the difference between them aside from the embroidered logo? I know the more expensive one says "Italian Merino" in the title, but the description of the other one said the wool is Italian too so I'm not really sure. Thanks!

Sweater 1
Sweater 2

Good question. As far as I can tell, they're charging extra for the pony logo, which is a negative for me anyway, I don't like advertizing for people. Go for the $98 one.
post #17961 of 29413

That's kind of what I was thinking but I thought that was too big of a price increase just for some brand recognition, but maybe not. I tried emailing RL through the contact thing on their site but they never responded. Maybe they were too embarrassed about the mark-up lol. I'd rather have a clean looking sweater anyway, the logo could be a color that sometimes I might not want in a given outfit I'm trying to put together. (like that bright green logo on the charcoal sweater)

post #17962 of 29413

I'm looking to buy a pair of black lace ups, but am not sure where to start, preferably black with a leather sole and nothing too complicated in terms of design, something like this would be perfect:

 

 

 

 

thing is, I'm on a bit of a budget, looking for something in the range of 150-200. Any suggestions are much appreciated. 

post #17963 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by dena View Post

I'm looking to buy a pair of black lace ups, but am not sure where to start, preferably black with a leather sole and nothing too complicated in terms of design, something like this would be perfect:





thing is, I'm on a bit of a budget, looking for something in the range of 150-200. Any suggestions are much appreciated. 

Allen Edmonds Park Avenue from The Shoe Bank during their next sale. Will be in the 150-200 range.
post #17964 of 29413

Shoe Lasts

 

I have a pair of Loake Oban 8F on 1639 last which fits me quite well.

 

I am trying to compare it to C&J 7.5 E Harvard Loafer on the 314 last.

 

It seems that the Loake is quater of an inch wider at ball of foot but i dont know if maybe C&J may have more room in that area of the shoe.

 

Any input would be appreciated.

post #17965 of 29413

I'm new, what does that mean? 

post #17966 of 29413

I'm currently a college student and I'm getting tired of always wearing gym shoes/tennis shoes. I'd really like to get some casual leather shoes (they don't necessarily have to be leather). I live in Florida so I always wear khaki shorts/cargo shorts and a polo. What shoes do you think I should get? By the way, I do not like penny loafers/moccasins so those are out. Thank you, I appreciate your respones.

post #17967 of 29413
Do you think these are acceptable to pair with mid Grey and Blue suits for business?

32554154-F03D-459F-91FF-38ADA30D9C08-1391-00000208E17C5A72.jpg
post #17968 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by powenb View Post

Do you think these are acceptable to pair with mid Grey and Blue suits for business?

(You don't indicate where you're located, so I'm going to assume it's somewhere in the United States. Other countries may have other standards for acceptability.)

There are people who maintain that loafers should not be worn with suits. And that this inherent mismatch is made even worse when it's done in a business context. And when they're tassel loafers (which are regarded as being even more casual than the non-tassel variety of loafer).

On the other hand, the pairing of loafers (very much including tassel loafers) is a firmly established tradition in certain circles. Particularly those connected with what might be termed the Preppy or Ivy League look.

So, decide for yourself into which camp you fall. Then you'll have your answer.

It's probably worth noting that there are loafers, and there are loafers - not all are equally appropriate for wearing with a suit (assuming that you agree that it's okay to wear loafers with a suit in the first place). Some loafers just look more... refined... than others.The ones pictured don't really appeal to me, but neither are they obviously too casual to be worn with a suit.

If it matters to you, the practice of wearing loafers with suits is more common among certain professions (particularly lawyers), than among others. And it's somewhat more common in certain parts of the country (particularly the Northeast), than in others.

I sometimes wear tassel loafers (most often, Allen Edmonds Graysons, in Merlot) with grey or navy suits, for business. (I'm a lawyer, but don't practice much these days. And I'm in Maryland, which may be part of the Northeast, or maybe not, depending on whom you ask.)
--
Michael

Stay Tuned for Next Week's Question - "Is it okay to wear a shirt with a button-down collar, with a business suit?" followed by a recap of last week's spirited discussion on why a wristwatch nearly the size of a pie plate and the better part of an inch thick, sporting multiple sub-dials, is not a formal watch, no matter how much money it costs or how many times a fictional British spy has chosen to wear a diver's watch with his tuxedo.
post #17969 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by dena View Post

I'm looking to buy a pair of black lace ups, but am not sure where to start, preferably black with a leather sole and nothing too complicated in terms of design, something like this would be perfect:





thing is, I'm on a bit of a budget, looking for something in the range of 150-200. Any suggestions are much appreciated. 
clarksdb's park avenue is a good; I would add the kenilworth's as well if you are specifically looking for a plain toe blucher like the one in your pic.
post #17970 of 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post


None of your post makes sense. Try posting in SW&D.

I'm new, I dont know what that means (SW&D). 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here