Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Today at 2:40 pm in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN Hall of Fame: pre-2010 Last post on 7/27/14 at 11:09am in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1196post #17926 of 2935210/11/12 at 1:28pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17927 of 2935210/11/12 at 1:31pmpost #17928 of 2935210/11/12 at 1:33pmpost #17929 of 2935210/11/12 at 1:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by FugueMeister
I've been on the hunt for a good tweed jacket for a couple months here in OKC and I think I've found it!
My question is can one successfully wash a thrifted tweed jacket without jacking the thing up? I was planning to lay flat it in the tub, spray it with cold water from the shower head, put a small amount of woolite in, squish and mash it for a few minutes, drain the dirty water, rinse til the water runs clear, rolling it gently to push out excess water, and hang on a coat hanger with a fan blowing on it. As often as I'll be donning this jacket, I wanted to start off with one that was not thrift store grimy.
Have you considered having it dry cleaned?post #17930 of 2935210/11/12 at 2:01pmpost #17931 of 2935210/11/12 at 2:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by MarshMan114
So I have begun my search for nice suits/SC on a budget and have been sifting through the buying and selling forum.
I have my personal measurements from a Men's Warehouse (my buddy just got married), but I'm not sure how to interpret the numbers. What is the general rule about +/- your exact measurements? If I have a 39.5" chest (I'm guessing and don't actually recall the exact number) and normally wear a 40R; what is the largest I should go?
Unfortunately, I don't have a perfect suit yet so I don't have any other reference. Any help would be appreciated.
Anyone have any experience with how measurements should compare?post #17932 of 2935210/11/12 at 3:20pmQuote:
If you are asking what the relationship should be between your chest measurement and the actual measurement of the jacket then that is a matter of personal preference. Typically it is in the range of 2 to 4 inches higher than your measurement, although I think that some SFers like jackets which are smaller than that and chest measurement is far from the only issue on jacket fit. But you are asking a question which doesn't matter. Go to a brick and mortar store which has brands that interest you and try some on. That way you can learn the size of that particular brand and cut which fits you best. Or you can even go to a thrift store and try things on. Find something which fits correctly and then measure it using the standard procedure. If you don't know how to do it google "how to measure a suit Andy" for instructions. Using the second method it absolutely doesn't matter what the labeled size of the jacket is. Why? Because different brands will measure differently for the same size. And it may have been altered.
You say you normally wear a 40R. A 40R in what? Just to use Brooks Brothers as an example, you may wear a 40R in Madison cut, a 41R in Fitzgerald, and a 42R in Milano. In this type of discussion when someone says "I wear a 40R in Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald" then he probably knows what he is talking about. If he says "I wear a 40R" then he doesn't understand the difference in cuts and brands. There will be some 40R's which don't even come close to fitting him.post #17933 of 2935210/11/12 at 3:27pmpost #17934 of 2935210/11/12 at 3:29pmQuote:
This is just how I feel about this, but I think it's a bad way of starting a new wardrobe. I think you need to try these things on as there are usually other factors that come into play than the numbers.post #17935 of 2935210/11/12 at 9:17pmpost #17936 of 2935210/11/12 at 9:26pmpost #17937 of 2935210/11/12 at 9:45pm
I hadn't considered it, but if you guys think that is a viable and thorough cleaning option, then I trust your word. Thanks!
Look forward to reading and engaging more as I become acquainted with SF! boa noite!post #17938 of 2935210/12/12 at 2:04ampost #17939 of 2935210/12/12 at 6:08ampost #17940 of 2935210/12/12 at 6:54am
I assume you mean the shell PTB's... other than the odd fluke here or there (i.e. some internet retailer like J. Crew has a sale that is supposed to exclude Alden but a glitch nonetheless applies the discount for some people), and maybe an occasional 3% off at The Shoe Mart on less popular black shell items, no.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 1 minute ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 2 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 5 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit... 9 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 13 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...