or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1193

post #17881 of 28736
Can you wear more casual shirts with wool trousers? I have a flannel shirt which I think would work but a chambray shirt (both from J Crew) which I'm pretty sure won't. Am I correct?
post #17882 of 28736

I am looking to buy a few scarves to wear to work (I wear a suit, if that matters). Any good places you can recommend online which have a wide variety?

post #17883 of 28736
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooter View Post

I am looking to buy a few scarves to wear to work (I wear a suit, if that matters). Any good places you can recommend online which have a wide variety?

Check out Howard Yount, he has some which look nice and I heard the quality is good too.
post #17884 of 28736
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post


Check out Howard Yount, he has some which look nice and I heard the quality is good too.

Thank you kindly. I will look into that. 

post #17885 of 28736
I'm looking for a winter jacket, but I don't know where to find the perfect winter jacket. Winter weather in Canada can be harsh, but I wouldn't be outside for prolonged periods. I would side on the fashion over function area, but to a reasonable degree - maybe suitable for -20 degree Celsius.

I'm 5'8" with long hair (hits my shoulders) and I want something ideally without a hood because it bunches up my hair. Strong preference to a hood-free design and nothing too long (ie, past the bum) because it'll make me look short. I don't want a pea coat because they've become too common place. I was looking into a cropped tan duffle coat without a hood, but I don't think that exists. I'm open to anything else.

Am I being too picky? Any recommendations are appreciated.
post #17886 of 28736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

What do you think about this tie? The colour is dark purple and made of 100% silk. 

I was so stupid and paid $104 for it (the tie was 50% off), but the tie is not from a brand or something and it doesn't have any brand tag attached on it.

 

What shirt and colour look best with this tie?

Bumping this.

post #17887 of 28736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

Bumping this.

Light blue shirt?
post #17888 of 28736
White shirt. Also, at that price this tie may be from a well known brand but the tag was removed to prevent returns.
post #17889 of 28736
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Can you wear more casual shirts with wool trousers? I have a flannel shirt which I think would work but a chambray shirt (both from J Crew) which I'm pretty sure won't. Am I correct?

Depends on the individual shirt and the individual trousers. Tweed? Go nuts. A fine worsted? Not so much. And a chambray shit will go with a lot more than a plaid flannel.
post #17890 of 28736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

Bumping this.
Come on - no need to bump a thread after a mere 6 hours. (I know that I'd planned on replying to your post, but was simply waiting until I was done with the work thing, before doing so.)

Anyway, come spring or summer, I could see wearing that purple tie with a tan suit and white shirt. Tan and dark purple go well together, and purple strikes me as being a very "spring-like" color (perhaps in small part due to its association with Easter).

A dark purple tie can also work well with a navy suit and white shirt. Or, for that matter, with a navy blazer.

And, of course, a dark purple tie could be the splash of color that prevents a grey suit and white shirt from being excessively monochrome and boring.

But rather than having others do all the heavy lifting for you, how about you tell us what you think would look best with your tie, and why?

I'll add that in the photo, the tie looks purple, but not particularly dark purple. However, photo representations aren't always as accurate as one would like, so if you say it's actually dark purple, I'll take your word for it.

Purely out of idle curiosity, why did you drop more than $100 on a necktie of unknown brand, which (I'm guessing) wasn't urgently needed for some reason, and which (based on the photo) doesn't appear to be extraordinary in any way? I mean, it may be a perfectly nice dark purple silk tie, but when I'm spending over $100 on a fairly basic, solid color tie, I'd at least like to know who made it. Is there something really special about it, which the picture doesn't make obvious?
--
Michael
post #17891 of 28736
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

White shirt. Also, at that price this tie may be from a well known brand but the tag was removed to prevent returns.

That's weird. I bought it from a retail store. 

 

But then again, I live in Norway... so almost everything is expensive. But I've never seen ties that cost $200. 

post #17892 of 28736
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


Come on - no need to bump a thread after a mere 6 hours. (I know that I'd planned on replying to your post, but was simply waiting until I was done with the work thing, before doing so.)
Anyway, come spring or summer, I could see wearing that purple tie with a tan suit and white shirt. Tan and dark purple go well together, and purple strikes me as being a very "spring-like" color (perhaps in small part due to its association with Easter).
A dark purple tie can also work well with a navy suit and white shirt. Or, for that matter, with a navy blazer.
And, of course, a dark purple tie could be the splash of color that prevents a grey suit and white shirt from being excessively monochrome and boring.
But rather than having others do all the heavy lifting for you, how about you tell us what you think would look best with your tie, and why?
I'll add that in the photo, the tie looks purple, but not particularly dark purple. However, photo representations aren't always as accurate as one would like, so if you say it's actually dark purple, I'll take your word for it.
Purely out of idle curiosity, why did you drop more than $100 on a necktie of unknown brand, which (I'm guessing) wasn't urgently needed for some reason, and which (based on the photo) doesn't appear to be extraordinary in any way? I mean, it may be a perfectly nice dark purple silk tie, but when I'm spending over $100 on a fairly basic, solid color tie, I'd at least like to know who made it. Is there something really special about it, which the picture doesn't make obvious?
--
Michael

Thanks for the tips! But I will be wearing a charcoal suit with pinstripes very light and thin stripes on the high school graduate class photo. I am not sure if it works out to wear the purple tie with a white shirt. I don't actually have a lot of dress shirts, because I can't find any dress shirts that fit. My tie and dress shirt collection is pretty bad, because I can't find blazers or suits that fit me, so there will be no reason to invest in good shirts or ties. But I have a lot of sports shirts that fit well, that I use daily. I have a blue checkered dress shirt and two white dress shirts, if that helps with the selection of shirts. I also have three ties, include the purple tie mentioned above, a pink and blue one coloured cotton tie.  

 

Hmm, I don't know. Could a light blue oxford shirt look good with the purple tie?

 

Well, I needed one for my cousin's wedding and the wedding theme was purple tie for men, and that was before I discovered SF, so I knew nothing about menswear and where to get the best stuff. It's just a plain simple woven silk tie. 


Edited by Dingusberry - 10/9/12 at 2:13pm
post #17893 of 28736
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

Depends on the individual shirt and the individual trousers. Tweed? Go nuts. A fine worsted? Not so much. And a chambray shit will go with a lot more than a plaid flannel.

Would be with these three trousers:

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/classic-flannel-pants-medium-gray
http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/vbc-super-100s-winter-flannel-navy
http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/wool-twill-pants-brown

What do you say? Would a chambray or flannel shirt work with these? Obviously a blue chambray won't go with the navy pants.
post #17894 of 28736

So I have begun my search for nice suits/SC on a budget and have been sifting through the buying and selling forum. 

 

I have my personal measurements from a Men's Warehouse (my buddy just got married), but I'm not sure how to interpret the numbers. What is the general rule about +/- your exact measurements? If I have a 39.5" chest (I'm guessing and don't actually recall the exact number) and normally wear a 40R; what is the largest I should go?

 

Unfortunately, I don't have a perfect suit yet so I don't have any other reference. Any help would be appreciated. 

post #17895 of 28736

What color pants would you suggest to pair with a plum and charcoal sweater?

http://www.wolfvsgoat.com/collections/knits/products/wool-waffle-crew-neck-in-plum

http://www.wolfvsgoat.com/collections/knits/products/wool-waffle-crew-neck-in-charcoal

 

I like the light grey wool or flannel trousers with them, but I only own medium grey wool pants, though I might have a light grey polyester pair of pants laying around.

 

I'm just now getting into wool trousers, so both of the ones I own are medium grey (HY) and gunmetal (Epaulet) (both are flannel). Will slowly expand my collection in the coming months.

 

The two wool pants I own:

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/classic-flannel-pants-medium-gray

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1701/Special-Order-Trouser-Gunmetal/Detail  (ordered yesterday)

 

Of course, I have plenty of cotton chinos in khaki, navy, french blue, cream, etc.

 

Thanks!


Edited by amathew - 10/9/12 at 4:11pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here